Epson printing help needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MB, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. MB

    MB Guest

    Hi

    I use an Epson Stylus Photo 915 and an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 for my
    printing needs. I am very happy with the quality of the prints, but there is
    one issue that's driving me crazy and it's time to seek some help before I
    start a major, and very important, printing project.

    After editing my pictures, I resize/crop in PS7 to get the size and aspect I
    want to print. BUT when it comes to the final product, it seems the printer
    doesn't output the very edge of the picturesi see on screen. This is the
    case whether I print with margins or without margins - if i select No
    Margins, the printer starts printing BEFORE the paper is under the heads,
    leading to ink being squirted into the machine, which I am not very happy
    about. Needless to say, the leading edge of the image is missing in the
    final print.

    Either way, I get a final picture MINUS the very edges of what I see on
    screen. It could be with margins or marginless - still missing edges.

    This happens with both printers so it must be something I am doing wrong (no
    suprise there!) but I can't figure it out.

    The images are definitely the correct size before I send them to the printer
    (ie. I ONLY print 6x4ins images on 6x4ins paper).

    Another issue that bugs me - if I print pictures with margins, the margins
    are never evenly spaced on all four sides of the paper. It gives the picture
    an off-centre feel and is distracting. I've tried various combinations under
    the Printable Area dialogue box, but nothing seems to get it right.

    Anybody got any ideas? I really would like to be able to print 100 per cent
    of what I see on screen and if I could do that a) without squirting ink into
    my printer when printing no margins and b) with my margins evenly spaced
    around the image when printing with margins, then that would be great.

    Thanks ....

    MB, Feb 29, 2004

  2. MB

    Canongirly Guest

    A couple of proberbly useless suggestions.

    1. On the printing preferences dialog box do you select borderless?

    2. If you're printing 6x 4 try selecting the 6 x 4 without perforations
    under paper size.

    3. Are the drivers you're using the latest?

    All the above may be useless.

    Canongirly, Feb 29, 2004

  3. MB

    Mike Guest

    > A couple of proberbly useless suggestions.

    No help is the only useless help :)

    > 1. On the printing preferences dialog box do you select borderless?

    Yes - it's called No Margins and works - in that I DO get edge to edge
    prints. Trouble is, about 5-10 per cent around the border of the picture is
    missing on the print, it's there on the screen, but it doesn't print, just
    like when I print with margins. Only the problem is worse when I try
    borderless because the printer THINKS it is printing on the paper, but in
    fact is squirting the ink into the machine because the paper hasn't reached
    the head yet. When the paper reaches the head, it is a borderless print.
    Aaggghhh!!

    > 2. If you're printing 6x 4 try selecting the 6 x 4 without perforations
    > under paper size.

    Done that :)

    > 3. Are the drivers you're using the latest?

    Well, the 1290 I have is brand new, so I would guess so. But I will try an
    update anyway. In fact I'll try anything - prayers, meditation, voodoo

    > All the above may be useless.

    Not at all, thanks for taking the time.

    Mike, Feb 29, 2004
  4. MB

    Flycaster Guest

    "MB" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I use an Epson Stylus Photo 915 and an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 for my
    > printing needs. I am very happy with the quality of the prints, but there

    is
    > one issue that's driving me crazy and it's time to seek some help before I
    > start a major, and very important, printing project.
    >
    > After editing my pictures, I resize/crop in PS7 to get the size and aspect

    > want to print. BUT when it comes to the final product, it seems the

    printer
    > doesn't output the very edge of the picturesi see on screen. This is the
    > case whether I print with margins or without margins - if i select No
    > Margins, the printer starts printing BEFORE the paper is under the heads,
    > leading to ink being squirted into the machine, which I am not very happy
    > about. Needless to say, the leading edge of the image is missing in the
    > final print.
    >
    > Either way, I get a final picture MINUS the very edges of what I see on
    > screen. It could be with margins or marginless - still missing edges.
    >
    > This happens with both printers so it must be something I am doing wrong

    (no
    > suprise there!) but I can't figure it out.
    >
    > The images are definitely the correct size before I send them to the

    printer
    > (ie. I ONLY print 6x4ins images on 6x4ins paper).
    >
    > Another issue that bugs me - if I print pictures with margins, the margins
    > are never evenly spaced on all four sides of the paper. It gives the

    picture
    > an off-centre feel and is distracting. I've tried various combinations

    under
    > the Printable Area dialogue box, but nothing seems to get it right.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas? I really would like to be able to print 100 per

    cent
    > of what I see on screen and if I could do that a) without squirting ink

    into
    > my printer when printing no margins and b) with my margins evenly spaced
    > around the image when printing with margins, then that would be great.
    >
    > Thanks ....

    First, true "borderless" printing, often referred to as "full bleed", will
    *always* require some printing to occur off the page; it simply can't happen
    any other way. Thus, when you select "borderless" the canvas is, again,
    *always* clipped just a slight amount. This is explained in the printer
    manual, and your printer is designed to do it this way.

    Personally, I prefer to print with small borders so I can control all
    cropping. Create a 1/4-1/2" border around the image (enlarge the canvas)
    and select "minimize borders."

    Next, the image and paper alignment issue is due to the fact that the paper
    is *never* perfectly aligned and feed through the printer. A slight
    alignment error is the rule, not the exception.

    The best solution is to use a rotary paper cutter to either eliminate the
    border completely, or to even it up.

    Flycaster, Mar 2, 2004
  5. MB

    MB Guest

    > First, true "borderless" printing, often referred to as "full bleed", will
    > *always* require some printing to occur off the page; it simply can't

    happen
    > any other way. Thus, when you select "borderless" the canvas is, again,
    > *always* clipped just a slight amount. This is explained in the printer
    > manual, and your printer is designed to do it this way.
    >
    > Personally, I prefer to print with small borders so I can control all
    > cropping. Create a 1/4-1/2" border around the image (enlarge the canvas)
    > and select "minimize borders."
    >
    > Next, the image and paper alignment issue is due to the fact that the

    paper
    > is *never* perfectly aligned and feed through the printer. A slight
    > alignment error is the rule, not the exception.
    >
    > The best solution is to use a rotary paper cutter to either eliminate the
    > border completely, or to even it up.

    Brilliant - that's exactly what I wanted to know. Most of what you suggest,
    I am already doing - but now I know I'm not missing anything and what I am
    experiencing is "normal." By the way - WHY is it impossible to have an
    un-clipped borderless print? What is going on that makes this so difficult?

    Many thanks for the reply.

    MB, Mar 3, 2004
  6. MB

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 05:15:10 -0000, "MB" <> wrote:

    >> First, true "borderless" printing, often referred to as "full bleed", will
    >> *always* require some printing to occur off the page; it simply can't

    >happen
    >> any other way. Thus, when you select "borderless" the canvas is, again,
    >> *always* clipped just a slight amount. This is explained in the printer
    >> manual, and your printer is designed to do it this way.
    >>
    >> Personally, I prefer to print with small borders so I can control all
    >> cropping. Create a 1/4-1/2" border around the image (enlarge the canvas)
    >> and select "minimize borders."
    >>
    >> Next, the image and paper alignment issue is due to the fact that the

    >paper
    >> is *never* perfectly aligned and feed through the printer. A slight
    >> alignment error is the rule, not the exception.
    >>
    >> The best solution is to use a rotary paper cutter to either eliminate the
    >> border completely, or to even it up.
    >>

    >Brilliant - that's exactly what I wanted to know. Most of what you suggest,
    >I am already doing - but now I know I'm not missing anything and what I am
    >experiencing is "normal." By the way - WHY is it impossible to have an
    >un-clipped borderless print? What is going on that makes this so difficult?
    >
    >Many thanks for the reply.

    Tolerances.....

    If you tell the printer to print exactly to the edge, it cannot do
    that perfectly. It has to print slightly over in order to ensure that
    it never goes under.

    Here is my experience:

    Epson photo 1280 (same as your 1290): prints borderless with
    essentially no clipping. Using 4" roll paper, there are sometimes
    very thin white edges. I compensate by setting the print width to
    4.03"

    Epson photo 900 (same guts as the 1280): prints borderless with about
    6% clipping. Extensive dialog with Epson is useless. Finally, on a
    hunch, I install an 890 driver. Now it behaves EXACTLY like the
    1280!!
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Mar 3, 2004
  7. MB

    David Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message news:<c1sr1k$3hp$>...
    > > A couple of proberbly useless suggestions.

    > No help is the only useless help :)
    >
    > > 1. On the printing preferences dialog box do you select borderless?

    > Yes - it's called No Margins and works - in that I DO get edge to edge
    > prints. Trouble is, about 5-10 per cent around the border of the picture is
    > missing on the print, it's there on the screen, but it doesn't print, just
    > like when I print with margins. Only the problem is worse when I try
    > borderless because the printer THINKS it is printing on the paper, but in
    > fact is squirting the ink into the machine because the paper hasn't reached
    > the head yet. When the paper reaches the head, it is a borderless print.
    > Aaggghhh!!
    > >
    > > 2. If you're printing 6x 4 try selecting the 6 x 4 without perforations
    > > under paper size.

    > Done that :)
    > >
    > > 3. Are the drivers you're using the latest?

    > Well, the 1290 I have is brand new, so I would guess so. But I will try an
    > update anyway. In fact I'll try anything - prayers, meditation, voodoo
    > >
    > > All the above may be useless.

    > Not at all, thanks for taking the time.

    It appears to me that you are doing more work than is necessary to get
    your photos onto paper. Consider using dedicated photo printing
    software like Qimage:

    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    While you may need to crop an image to frame the content, you should
    never have to manually resize it for printing. Qimage lets you
    specify the print size and automatically fits the selected photo to
    the print frame. You can also select multiple photos of different
    print sizes to print on a single sheet. All without adjusting or
    resizing the original. Qimage will help you get the most out of your
    new printer.

    I have used Qimage for several years printing photos with my Epson 870
    and am simply a very satisfied customer.

    David, Mar 3, 2004
  8. MB

    MB Guest

    > Tolerances.....
    >
    > If you tell the printer to print exactly to the edge, it cannot do
    > that perfectly. It has to print slightly over in order to ensure that
    > it never goes under.
    >
    > Here is my experience:
    >
    > Epson photo 1280 (same as your 1290): prints borderless with
    > essentially no clipping. Using 4" roll paper, there are sometimes
    > very thin white edges. I compensate by setting the print width to
    > 4.03"
    >
    > Epson photo 900 (same guts as the 1280): prints borderless with about
    > 6% clipping. Extensive dialog with Epson is useless. Finally, on a
    > hunch, I install an 890 driver. Now it behaves EXACTLY like the
    > 1280!!

    OK, I understand that (I think!) - but why do I get clipping when I print
    WITH a border? Even when I print with a border, the very edge of the picture
    I see on SCREEN is missing.

    MB, Mar 4, 2004
  9. MB

    MB Guest

    > It appears to me that you are doing more work than is necessary to get
    > your photos onto paper. Consider using dedicated photo printing
    > software like Qimage:
    >
    > http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/
    >
    > While you may need to crop an image to frame the content, you should
    > never have to manually resize it for printing. Qimage lets you
    > specify the print size and automatically fits the selected photo to
    > the print frame. You can also select multiple photos of different
    > print sizes to print on a single sheet. All without adjusting or
    > resizing the original. Qimage will help you get the most out of your
    > new printer.
    >
    > I have used Qimage for several years printing photos with my Epson 870
    > and am simply a very satisfied customer.

    Interesting, but how does Qiamge handle cropping?

    By this I mean, most picture straight from the camera do not have the
    correct aspect ratio for any given, popular paper size. So they need some
    cropping - which is why I do most of my work in Photoshop.

    Say I want a 6x4ins print of an image that is 3072x2048 pixels
    (ie.12.8x8.533 ins) then I am going to need to crop. I just enter 6x4ins in
    Photoshop's crop tool, drag the crop box, reposition it for composition and
    hit Enter - presto, one cropped 6x4ins image ready for printing.

    How does QImage get around the image size issue? If it can't, and I still
    need to crop in Photoshop, how would adding QImage to my workflow help me?

    Sorry for all the questions, I am still learning about digital printing!

    MB, Mar 5, 2004
  10. MB

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:28:01 -0000, "MB" <> wrote:

    >> Tolerances.....
    >>
    >> If you tell the printer to print exactly to the edge, it cannot do
    >> that perfectly. It has to print slightly over in order to ensure that
    >> it never goes under.
    >>
    >> Here is my experience:
    >>
    >> Epson photo 1280 (same as your 1290): prints borderless with
    >> essentially no clipping. Using 4" roll paper, there are sometimes
    >> very thin white edges. I compensate by setting the print width to
    >> 4.03"
    >>
    >> Epson photo 900 (same guts as the 1280): prints borderless with about
    >> 6% clipping. Extensive dialog with Epson is useless. Finally, on a
    >> hunch, I install an 890 driver. Now it behaves EXACTLY like the
    >> 1280!!

    >OK, I understand that (I think!) - but why do I get clipping when I print
    >WITH a border? Even when I print with a border, the very edge of the picture
    >I see on SCREEN is missing.

    Aha---different problem. Try a print that is significantly smaller
    than the paper. That should print with no clipping. If so, then you
    are dealing with the printer margins.

    Is it clipping only on one side? On the feed (leading) edge?
    trailing edge? etc.

    If you are printing close to the maximum, try the center tab in the
    print setup window.

    If you give me some exact parameters, I can try and duplicate it.
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Mar 5, 2004
  11. In article <>, noot1967
    @yahoo.co.uk says...
    > By this I mean, most picture straight from the camera do not have the
    > correct aspect ratio for any given, popular paper size. So they need some
    > cropping - which is why I do most of my work in Photoshop.
    >
    > Say I want a 6x4ins print of an image that is 3072x2048 pixels
    > (ie.12.8x8.533 ins) then I am going to need to crop. I just enter 6x4ins in
    > Photoshop's crop tool, drag the crop box, reposition it for composition and
    > hit Enter - presto, one cropped 6x4ins image ready for printing.

    You know you may not always have to crop out as much as you think. You
    can go to {Image / Image Size} uncheck the resample box then change one
    of the dimensions and Photoshop will adjust the other dimension as well
    as it's arbritrary 'Resolution' or pixels/inch setting. Once you have
    adjusted this imaginary 'size' then you can crop out just the parts that
    wouldn't fit on the print anyway.

    Always remember that what PhotoShop and other programs call the pictures
    'size' is based on this entirely arbritrary pixels/inch setting. You can
    set that to anything you want and there will still be the same number of
    actual pixels in the image.

    Grant Robertson, Mar 5, 2004
  12. MB

    David Guest

    "MB" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Interesting, but how does Qiamge handle cropping?
    >
    > By this I mean, most picture straight from the camera do not have the
    > correct aspect ratio for any given, popular paper size. So they need some
    > cropping - which is why I do most of my work in Photoshop.
    >
    > Say I want a 6x4ins print of an image that is 3072x2048 pixels
    > (ie.12.8x8.533 ins) then I am going to need to crop. I just enter 6x4ins in
    > Photoshop's crop tool, drag the crop box, reposition it for composition and
    > hit Enter - presto, one cropped 6x4ins image ready for printing.
    >
    > How does QImage get around the image size issue? If it can't, and I still
    > need to crop in Photoshop, how would adding QImage to my workflow help me?
    >
    > Sorry for all the questions, I am still learning about digital printing!

    Qimage has a generic button that turns on and off cropping. With
    cropping off, the entire image is fit into the specified print size.
    If the print aspect ratio is different than the image aspect ratio,
    white area fills the remainder of the specified print area.

    With cropping on, the image is cropped symmetrically to fit into the
    specified print area.

    You can also manually control the crop area for any individual image
    or as a global setting. Any image manipulation performed does not
    alter the original image file. A separate file is created with the
    settings for that photo.

    Take advantage of Qimage's 30 day free evaluation and try it for
    yourself:

    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/demo.htm

    -- David

    David, Mar 5, 2004