    the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a few
    hours and see if I can get it to unblock

    Thx,
    Mike Lawrence, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Mike Lawrence

    Andy Guest

    "Mike Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    news:vnepb.768646$...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Epson Stylus 850 colour printer. For the seconed time with this
    > make, after 18 months the head has become clogged. The first time on the

    600
    > model I was told that it needed a new head. The cost would have been

    nearly
    > as much as a new printer, so I bought the 850. Now the same thing has
    > happened to this one. I have run 3 colour cartridges through the cleaning
    > cycle, about 40/50 cycles. To no avail. As it seems I have nothing to lose

    > have taken the head out. There does not seem to be any access to inside of
    > the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a

    few
    > hours and see if I can get it to unblock
    >
    > Thx,

    Clogging nozzles in Epson printer is a common problem. I had an Epson
    printer for a month or so , it was a real nightmare. If I did not use this
    printer for longer than a few minutes I had to clean nozzles. Cleaning takes
    a lot of ink, so I had to change my cartridge every week. My problem
    finished when I exchanged Epson to HP 2000C. Right now I own Canon i850 and
    I'm very happy of that. My HP is still running it is used by my three
    children so it works every day without any problem. I will never own Epson
    printer any more, even if somebody gave me for free. Ink used for cleaning
    nozzles would cost me more than any other printer.
    This is my opinion.
    Ps. All my friends who bought Epson printer have nightmare like I had
    before....
    Andy, Nov 2, 2003

  3. It seems to be a rather common problem Frankly my Epson is causing less
    problems than my Canon and the Canon is better than the older Canon I had.

    My personal experience is that the newer models, in all makes, seem to
    be improving.

    At work we had a commercial Lexmark, and had little problems with it,
    but we did use it enough to keep it flowing. I made sure it had daily use.

    However, I am still not satisfied with any inkjet printer I have had,
    they all have had what I consider a problem. I am not a high volume user
    and ink is a problem for me. I would really like to see a really good set
    of comparative test, including an examination of this problem.

    I would have to think that if standard test were available results were
    available to the public, we would see some fast improvement. Likewise the
    pricing of printers very low, but ink so high should be addressed.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Mike Lawrence

    Michael Guest

    Hi

    I've just exchanged my trusty 600 for a 950. When the 600 became blocked,
    which happened every 6 - 9 months I took the cartridges out and used a small
    syringe to "blow through" the ink in the head.
    This always cleared any blockages and the printer was fine afterwards.

    One point to note is that too much pressure will damage the head
    permanently, so take it easy!!

    Michael

    Michael, Nov 2, 2003
  5. Mike Lawrence

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I have owned an Epson for quite a while and never had serious problem. One or
    two cleaning cycles before a large print job have been enough. I don't remember
    the first model but the 1200 I had is still running well and the lady that has
    been using it for over 3 years definitely does not use it every day. My 1270 is
    over three years old and is a work horse. Have not head clogs or other
    problems.
    Of course I use original Epson Inks and when I don't print pictures I use 24
    pound paper.
    I guess I am just lucky.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Mike Lawrence

    jriegle Guest

    I have the Epson 820 six color ink printer. Incredible photo prints it makes
    not even at the highest resolution. It too has clogged and I can't get it
    working again. I have experience with numerous printer from home and at work
    over the years and I find all inkjets to clog if they are not used often
    enough. My Epson has been especially bad. It seems printers with the head in
    the cartridge is a better idea, for if it clogs, it is easy to remove and
    clear by hand if the clean cycles fail to work. If hand cleaning fails, just
    install a new cartridge.
    John

    jriegle, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Mike Lawrence

    Argon3 Guest

    Check out an online store like inkjetmall...there are CLEANING CARTRIDGES
    available for almost every printer. These are made so tht one can flush out a
    printer before changing over to another brand of ink (such as the black and
    white cartridges from lysonic) but might solve your problems.

    argon
    Argon3, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Mike Lawrence

    K9660R Guest

    I am on my 3rd Epson 820. I print mainly grayscale photos and so far I have not
    been able to find an inkjet photo printer except Epson that gives me the best
    looking grayscale (the Canon i950 was terrible). My 3rd Epson has lasted me
    longer than the first 2 because I clean the heads more often. I hope Epson
    addresses this issue in future models. I am looking at the new Epson R300 as a
    replacement when the time comes.

    Ken
    K9660R, Nov 3, 2003
  9. Mike Lawrence

    Robertwgross Guest

    My old Epson 1270 is chugging away nicely after 3.5 years and about 100 color
    cartridges.
    No clogging.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Nov 3, 2003
  10. I have had the same problem(s) with an Epson 1290. The black ink nozzle
    in particular seemed to clog regularly, and the ink consumption was
    phenomenal. To put it right would have meant spending almost as much as
    paying for a new printer (eg. new head printer, etc.), in particular on
    this side of the pond, where there is a "no prisoners" mentality when it
    comes to pricing anything to do with photography. I had to "defect" to
    a Canon i9100, which seems to be not only a much faster, but also a
    better printer, so far (but I only had for a week or so).

    In article <vnepb.768646$>, Mike
    Lawrence <> writes
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have a Epson Stylus 850 colour printer. For the seconed time with this
    >make, after 18 months the head has become clogged. The first time on the 600
    >model I was told that it needed a new head. The cost would have been nearly
    >as much as a new printer, so I bought the 850. Now the same thing has
    >happened to this one. I have run 3 colour cartridges through the cleaning
    >cycle, about 40/50 cycles. To no avail. As it seems I have nothing to lose I
    >have taken the head out. There does not seem to be any access to inside of
    >the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a few
    >hours and see if I can get it to unblock
    >
    >Thx,

    Nobody
    nobody nowhere, Nov 3, 2003
  11. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote:

    > ... the pricing of printers very low, but ink so high ...

    The inkjet printer market has fallen into the same model as replaceable
    blade safety razors. (Gillette is happy to give you a razor free, because
    the know you'll have to buy high priced blades for it for years.) IMHO
    this is an unfortunate thing; I would much rather pay a reasonable price
    for each. I don't mind paying $250-$600 USD every few years for a
    new printer, but paying 10% of that for one ink cartridge is ridiculous.
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
    Judson McClendon, Nov 3, 2003
  12. "HRosita" <> wrote

    > I have owned an Epson for quite a while and never had serious problem.

    I currently have four Epson printers (800, 850, C80 & 1250), one of them
    (800) six years old, and my experience with them and Epson printers in
    general has been good. My 1250 is a replacement for another 1250 that I
    gave to my daughter. She is editor of a local newspaper, and her 7 year
    old (at least) 1250 still works great. Yes, if I don't use a printer for weeks,
    the heads need cleaning. But if I print only as often as a couple of times a
    week, no problems. I bought three HP inkjet printers before that, and all
    of them crashed and burned within two years. None of my Epson inkjet
    printers has ever actually broken.
    Judson McClendon, Nov 3, 2003
  13. Mike Lawrence

    Giles Morant Guest

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:03:46 +0000, HRosita wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have owned an Epson for quite a while and never had serious problem. One or
    > two cleaning cycles before a large print job have been enough. I don't remember
    > the first model but the 1200 I had is still running well and the lady that has
    > been using it for over 3 years definitely does not use it every day. My 1270 is
    > over three years old and is a work horse. Have not head clogs or other
    > problems.
    > Of course I use original Epson Inks and when I don't print pictures I use 24
    > pound paper.
    > I guess I am just lucky.
    > Rosita

    My 760 and 1270 (same family) have been going strong with no problems
    whatsoever for over 3 years as well. I'm using cheaper non-Epson
    cartridges with no problems; changed a year ago when the costs just became
    too great.

    Perhaps the newer printers aren't built to be to solid?

    Giles.
    Giles Morant, Nov 3, 2003
  14. When I bought my last printer, I got the printer with ink, for less than
    the list price of the ink after all the rebates and sales.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 3, 2003
  15. Mike Lawrence

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    > When I bought my last printer, I got the printer with ink, for less than
    >the list price of the ink after all the rebates and sales.

    Run out of ink - buy a new printer.

    I think that the printer makers have gone just a little bit too
    far in the give-away-the-printer-and-screw-em-on-supplies direction.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 4, 2003
  16. Mike Lawrence

    Richards Guest

    Mike Lawrence wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Epson Stylus 850 colour printer. For the seconed time with this
    > make, after 18 months the head has become clogged. The first time on the 600
    > model I was told that it needed a new head. The cost would have been nearly
    > as much as a new printer, so I bought the 850. Now the same thing has
    > happened to this one. I have run 3 colour cartridges through the cleaning
    > cycle, about 40/50 cycles. To no avail. As it seems I have nothing to lose I
    > have taken the head out. There does not seem to be any access to inside of
    > the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a few
    > hours and see if I can get it to unblock
    >
    > Thx,

    I've used isoprophl alcohol (70%) on my 1270 with good results. Try
    using a syringe (without needle) to inject the alcohol directly into
    each nipple on the head (remove the ink cartridge first).
    Richards, Nov 6, 2003
  17. Mike Lawrence

    David French Guest

    "Richards" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Lawrence wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have a Epson Stylus 850 colour printer. For the seconed time with this
    > > make, after 18 months the head has become clogged. The first time on the

    600
    > > model I was told that it needed a new head. The cost would have been

    nearly
    > > as much as a new printer, so I bought the 850. Now the same thing has
    > > happened to this one. I have run 3 colour cartridges through the

    cleaning
    > > cycle, about 40/50 cycles. To no avail. As it seems I have nothing to

    lose I
    > > have taken the head out. There does not seem to be any access to inside

    of
    > > the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a

    few
    > > hours and see if I can get it to unblock
    > >
    > > Thx,
    > >

    > I've used isoprophl alcohol (70%) on my 1270 with good results. Try
    > using a syringe (without needle) to inject the alcohol directly into
    > each nipple on the head (remove the ink cartridge first).

    I've had similar problems with 3 Epson printers. Now I'm thinking of buying
    HP or Canon as the Epson ones do seem highly unreliable in this respect.
    I'll try the Isopropyl suggestion, but if not I think I'm ditching the
    brand.

    David
    David French, Dec 24, 2003
  18. Mike Lawrence

    Bob Guest

    Epson printers are really great all the time they're working,
    but when things go wrong... the Epson service in the UK is rubbish!
    My 1270 started dropping ink blobs all over the A3 prints and it took so long to get replies from them that the warranty ran out.
    I've written so many emails and letters, spent so long waiting for replies and used more ink and paper doing test for them that it
    has cost as much as the printer to get to the point where they say they're not interested.
    I only ever got 4 good A3 prints and scrapped 2 packets of paper doing so.
    I wouldn't touch another Epson product - ever.
    I am buying my replacement from Canon
    --
    Bob

    Bob, Dec 25, 2003
  19. Mike Lawrence

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Bob"

    >My 1270 started dropping ink blobs all over the A3 prints and it took so long
    >to get replies from them that the warranty ran out.
    >I've written so many emails and letters, spent so long waiting for replies
    >and used more ink and paper doing test for them that it
    >has cost as much as the printer to get to the point where they say they're
    >not interested.

    You should have done what I did and searched Google for the answer.

    In my case (and probably yours) the ink pads on the right inside the printer
    had become saturated and the print heads were picking up the excess ink every
    time they went over them. They then drag this ink across the print, usually in
    the same spots.

    The solution is to get those pads out of there (there are 2 or 3 of them
    stacked, if I remember correctly), and thoroughly wash them out and dry them.
    Once this was done, no more streaking on my 1270.
    Annika1980, Dec 26, 2003
  20. Mike Lawrence

    daytripper Guest

    On 26 Dec 2003 05:05:06 GMT, (Annika1980) wrote:

    >>From: "Bob"

    >>My 1270 started dropping ink blobs all over the A3 prints and it took so long
    >>to get replies from them that the warranty ran out.
    >>I've written so many emails and letters, spent so long waiting for replies
    >>and used more ink and paper doing test for them that it
    >>has cost as much as the printer to get to the point where they say they're
    >>not interested.

    >You should have done what I did and searched Google for the answer.
    >
    >In my case (and probably yours) the ink pads on the right inside the printer
    >had become saturated and the print heads were picking up the excess ink every
    >time they went over them. They then drag this ink across the print, usually in
    >the same spots.
    >
    >The solution is to get those pads out of there (there are 2 or 3 of them
    >stacked, if I remember correctly), and thoroughly wash them out and dry them.
    >Once this was done, no more streaking on my 1270.

    This is exactly correct, and should be fairly obvious if one watches what the
    print carriage does when printing: every so often the carriage returns to the
    pads to wipe off the face of the print heads. If the pads are saturated with
    an amalgam of dried and fresh ink, it's not hard to figure where the streaks
    are coming from.

    Clean the pads.

    /daytripper
    daytripper, Dec 26, 2003