Epson printers ...on of off?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SumJuan, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. SumJuan

    SumJuan Guest

    Hi all

    I have an Epson R300 and I've been told that each time I turn it on it uses
    a small amount of ink to prime the ink "channels". I thought this happened
    only when I first inserted new cartridges so maybe someone could clarify
    that point?

    My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on, is it
    safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7? All of our network printers at
    work are left on 24/7 so I can't see an issue other than one of the work
    printers are better build and designed to be left on.

    thanks for any insight or answers

    --

    //sj

    SumJuan, Jul 3, 2004

  2. SumJuan

    nospam Guest

    In article <40e6523b$0$6447$>, SumJuan
    <sumjuan@home> wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I have an Epson R300 and I've been told that each time I turn it on it uses
    > a small amount of ink to prime the ink "channels". I thought this happened
    > only when I first inserted new cartridges so maybe someone could clarify
    > that point?
    >
    > My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on, is it
    > safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7? All of our network printers at
    > work are left on 24/7 so I can't see an issue other than one of the work
    > printers are better build and designed to be left on.

    you want to turn the printer off when not in use. the heads park on a
    pad and reduce the possibility of clogging. if you leave it on 24/7 the
    heads may clog.

    do *not* turn off the printer from a power strip. there is a timer that
    measures how long the printer has been off and will run a clean cycle
    only if its needed at next power-on.

    the printer ships with the heads empty, and the first cartridge will
    use a bit of ink to fill them. once filled, the amount used when
    powering on is negligible, unless the printer has been off a while, and
    then it will do a full clean cycle. replacing cartridges does not need
    to prime the heads since the head still has the ink from the previous
    cartridge.

    nospam, Jul 3, 2004

  3. SumJuan

    SumJuan Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <40e6523b$0$6447$>, SumJuan
    > <sumjuan@home> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I have an Epson R300 and I've been told that each time I turn it on it
    >> uses
    >> a small amount of ink to prime the ink "channels". I thought this
    >> happened
    >> only when I first inserted new cartridges so maybe someone could clarify
    >> that point?
    >>
    >> My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on, is
    >> it
    >> safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7? All of our network printers at
    >> work are left on 24/7 so I can't see an issue other than one of the work
    >> printers are better build and designed to be left on.

    > you want to turn the printer off when not in use. the heads park on a
    > pad and reduce the possibility of clogging. if you leave it on 24/7 the
    > heads may clog.

    Thanks for your answer. Most appreciated!!

    --

    //sj

    SumJuan, Jul 3, 2004
  4. SumJuan

    SimonG Ltd. Guest

    "SumJuan" <sumjuan@home> wrote in message

    > "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <40e6523b$0$6447$>, SumJuan
    > > <sumjuan@home> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> I have an Epson R300 and I've been told that each time I turn it on it
    > >> uses
    > >> a small amount of ink to prime the ink "channels". I thought this
    > >> happened
    > >> only when I first inserted new cartridges so maybe someone could

    clarify
    > >> that point?
    > >>
    > >> My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on,

    is
    > >> it
    > >> safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7? All of our network printers

    at
    > >> work are left on 24/7 so I can't see an issue other than one of the

    work
    > >> printers are better build and designed to be left on.

    > > you want to turn the printer off when not in use. the heads park on a
    > > pad and reduce the possibility of clogging. if you leave it on 24/7 the
    > > heads may clog.

    > Thanks for your answer. Most appreciated!!

    My 950 has been on 24/7 for over a year . . . never had a clog yet, the
    heads park even when it is on . . . leave yours on.

    regards, Simon

    SimonG Ltd., Jul 3, 2004
  5. SumJuan

    Clyde Guest

    SumJuan wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have an Epson R300 and I've been told that each time I turn it on it uses
    > a small amount of ink to prime the ink "channels". I thought this happened
    > only when I first inserted new cartridges so maybe someone could clarify
    > that point?
    >
    > My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on, is it
    > safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7? All of our network printers at
    > work are left on 24/7 so I can't see an issue other than one of the work
    > printers are better build and designed to be left on.
    >

    > thanks for any insight or answers

    I have left my Epson inkjet printers on for years without any clogging.
    Most people I've discussed this with agree that's the best way to
    prevent clogging.

    However, a minority of people have the best results by doing just the
    opposite. They get no clogging by turning them off when not in use.

    I think you will just need to try it and see what works best for you.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Jul 3, 2004
  6. In article <40e6523b$0$6447$>,
    sumjuan@home says...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have an Epson R300 and I've been told that each time I turn it on it uses
    > a small amount of ink to prime the ink "channels". I thought this happened
    > only when I first inserted new cartridges so maybe someone could clarify
    > that point?
    >
    > My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on, is it
    > safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7? All of our network printers at
    > work are left on 24/7 so I can't see an issue other than one of the work
    > printers are better build and designed to be left on.
    >

    > thanks for any insight or answers

    The heads park at the same place as when the machine is turned off. If
    it is left on however, it goes through fewer cleaning cycles (which use
    ink) than when it is turned back on.
    I only turn my printer off during thunder storm weather which causes
    electricty interruptions and makes the printer recycle each time the
    power is restored.

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com

    Robert Feinman, Jul 3, 2004
  7. In article <40e6523b$0$6447$>,
    sumjuan@home says...
    > I have an Epson R300
    >
    > My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on, is it
    > safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7?

    Some models of ink jets automatically park the heads after a short time
    when they are not in use. Some do not. You will have to check your manual
    or call the manufacturer. My Epson 1520 parks it's heads automatically.
    However, if I haven't used it in a day or so then it goes through this
    long cleaning process before it starts printing again. If I turn it off
    then it does this every time I turn it on and start printing. So, for me,
    I think I save ink by leaving it on.

    Grant Robertson, Jul 3, 2004
  8. SumJuan

    U. Link Guest

    "Grant Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <40e6523b$0$6447$>,
    > sumjuan@home says...
    > > I have an Epson R300
    > >
    > > My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on,

    is it
    > > safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7?

    > Some models of ink jets automatically park the heads after a short time
    > when they are not in use. Some do not. You will have to check your manual
    > or call the manufacturer. My Epson 1520 parks it's heads automatically.
    > However, if I haven't used it in a day or so then it goes through this
    > long cleaning process before it starts printing again. If I turn it off
    > then it does this every time I turn it on and start printing. So, for me,
    > I think I save ink by leaving it on.

    During a phone conversation with Epson Canada I was told to turn off my 2200
    every time I, unless it is going to be used in the next hour or two.
    U. Link

    U. Link, Jul 3, 2004
  9. SumJuan

    Matt Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:31:05 -0500, Grant Robertson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <40e6523b$0$6447$>,
    >sumjuan@home says...
    >> I have an Epson R300
    >>
    >> My question is simply, if ink is used each time I turn the printer on, is it
    >> safe or okay to leave the printer on 24/7?

    >Some models of ink jets automatically park the heads after a short time
    >when they are not in use. Some do not. You will have to check your manual
    >or call the manufacturer. My Epson 1520 parks it's heads automatically.
    >However, if I haven't used it in a day or so then it goes through this
    >long cleaning process before it starts printing again. If I turn it off
    >then it does this every time I turn it on and start printing. So, for me,
    >I think I save ink by leaving it on.

    That seems to be general - some say that if you turn the printer off
    by it's power button and do NOT turn off the mains, the electronics
    remain powered and it can still mark time and avoid a full switch-on
    cycle unless required.

    NEVER turn off a printer from the mains, without completeing a "local"
    power off in the printer - if the head was alraedy parked, the printer
    will power off instantly (and you would get away with a mains-off
    alone), but if the heads were not fully parked and capped, the printer
    will do it (and if you'd just switched off power, the heads would have
    clogged).

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Jul 3, 2004