Epson Printer - where can a piece of paper go?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Aug 17, 2005.

  1. After laying idle firstly for lack of a black cartridge;
    secondly because it's the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought
    [can't print black only without having 3 colour cartridges with ink in
    them];
    3] had dog-eared and/or messed up top of paper in the past;
    4] my trusty HP deskjet finally giving up the ghost [tested on two
    computers];
    went out and spent US$26 for a blk cartridge tonight.

    Duly sent a page to the printer.
    It fed a sheet of paper into the bowels of the printer and has not
    been seen since.
    Not even the tinnest little shred of the page.

    Looked high and low and without taking it apart to find it, where on
    earth would the the piece of paper go?

    All I am now getting is the two red lights flashing simultaneously.
    One is ink is out and the other paper jam.
    Latter you are supposed to hold it down for a few seconds until the
    worst clears itself then pick the other pieces out....

    I will seriously be looking for the warranty in the morning as
    hopefully the sucker is still under warranty!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Aug 17, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    >After laying idle firstly for lack of a black cartridge;
    >secondly because it's the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought
    >[can't print black only without having 3 colour cartridges with ink in
    >them];

    This is why I have a printer with the colours in a single cartridge.

    >Duly sent a page to the printer.
    >It fed a sheet of paper into the bowels of the printer and has not
    >been seen since.
    >Not even the tinnest little shred of the page.
    >
    >Looked high and low and without taking it apart to find it, where on
    >earth would the the piece of paper go?

    It's hard to believe a little inkjet could have much room inside it to
    hide a sheet of paper. Looking at my Epson (an elderly Stylus Color
    900), the paper goes in one side, changes direction by about 45?, and
    comes straight out the other side. That's it. The paper path is so short
    that the leading edge comes out even before the trailing edge has
    disappeared. What kind of paper path does yours have?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 20, 2005

  3. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:25:15 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >
    >>After laying idle firstly for lack of a black cartridge;
    >>secondly because it's the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought
    >>[can't print black only without having 3 colour cartridges with ink in
    >>them];

    >This is why I have a printer with the colours in a single cartridge.

    What I didn't know when I bought this one, was you have to have all 4
    cartridges with ink in otherwise it won't print even if you are only
    using black.

    I more often than not,have an empty colour cartridge in the HP printer
    and it still works. Most of my work is done on the black thrifty
    setting.

    The oh wanted a printer so decided he would buy me a new one that I
    could utilise for my digital camera/printing pix as we live in small
    town USA where at the time, you had to upload pix to a facility etc to
    get prints done.

    >>Duly sent a page to the printer.
    >>It fed a sheet of paper into the bowels of the printer and has not
    >>been seen since.
    >>Not even the tinnest little shred of the page.
    >>
    >>Looked high and low and without taking it apart to find it, where on
    >>earth would the the piece of paper go?

    >It's hard to believe a little inkjet could have much room inside it to
    >hide a sheet of paper. Looking at my Epson (an elderly Stylus Color
    >900), the paper goes in one side, changes direction by about 45?, and
    >comes straight out the other side. That's it. The paper path is so short
    >that the leading edge comes out even before the trailing edge has
    >disappeared. What kind of paper path does yours have?

    Paper sits upright at the rear of the machine, I presume it has
    rolelrs that grab the edge of the paper and take it through before it
    spits it out at the lower front.

    I found all the documentation and the machine is fortunately under
    warranty so Epson are sending me a replacement. I have to return
    this one in the same box.

    When I bought this one, I got a $20 rebate back in the mail so after
    the new one arrives, will hook it up and check it is working ok then
    will sell it for a discounted price just to get rid of it.

    But you are right, there does not seem to be a place where a sheet of
    paper could 'hide' but it has! All I can figure out is it is wrapped
    around something! That now will be Epson's problem.....

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Aug 21, 2005
  4. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    rlj Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:25:15 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >>texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >>

    >>>After laying idle firstly for lack of a black cartridge;
    >>>secondly because it's the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought
    >>>[can't print black only without having 3 colour cartridges with ink in
    >>>them];

    >>This is why I have a printer with the colours in a single cartridge.

    I had this problem the other day with a Brother. I wondered whether it
    was designed that way because in an HP you would only fry a printhead in
    a replaceable cartridge, but in a fixed head printer you could damage
    the print head if running dry. It is a pain tho, why not an emergency
    "black only" button?

    rlj, Aug 21, 2005