    sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
    very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
    try something like that.
    Paul Furman, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Paul Furman

    frederick Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
    > zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
    > over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
    > they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
    > rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
    > sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
    > very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
    > try something like that.

    Look for Arthur Entlich posts in comp.periphs.printers.
    Send him an email, and he'll return a manual on unclogging printers.
    Windolene is apparently used, the method I don't know.
    frederick, Aug 3, 2005

  3. Paul Furman wrote:
    > I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
    > zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
    > over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
    > they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
    > rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
    > sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
    > very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
    > try something like that.

    Google for "clean epson print heads windex". Windex is an excellent
    solvent for Epson ink (and others, so I'm told), so you basically drip a
    couple of drops onto the spongy thing where the print heads park
    themselves, then switch the printer off overnight. The heads park, the
    Windex soaks into the head and a regular clean with the utility in the
    morning normally fixes the problem.

    I had exactly the same situation - I didn't use my Epson printer from
    one week to the next and had to do the above just about every time I
    used it. It also consumed colour ink when it was doing nothing but
    printing in black. I once bought a brand new colour cartridge because it
    was complaining it was empty and refusing to print even in black. Over
    the next couple of weeks I printed nothing but black, but since a bit of
    colour ink is wasted each time you switch the thing on, the colour
    cartridge slowly drained away. When it told me it wanted another colour
    cartridge, and I realised I'd not printed a single colour page, I
    chucked the damn thing out. Those cartridges cost serious money.

    It's part of Epson's plan to screw money from their customers with
    expensive cartridges, and having been burnt by it, I will never buy
    another Epson product. Never.
    Derek Fountain, Aug 3, 2005
  4. Paul Furman wrote:

    > I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
    > zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
    > over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
    > they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
    > rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
    > sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
    > very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
    > try something like that.

    Hi Paul, don't know if this will apply to you but my kids old Epson
    Stylus Color 600 lay dormant for months. Yesterday she wanted to print
    something for school and the heads just moved up & down the paper
    without delivering any ink. I got some narrow diameter tubing +/- 3mm
    and sucked up some isopropyl alcohol. ( tastes vile by the way !! )
    Placed the pipe in turn over the little thingies that were projecting
    upwards ( the part that goes into the ink cartridge ) and blew alcohol
    into each of the 4 nozzels. The alcohol went through ok but left a mess
    of ink on the plastic liner which I wiped up. Put the cartridges back
    and after a cleaning cycle or two to purge the alcolhol the printer was
    back on line.
    Good luck.
    Bernard
    Bernard Rother, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Bernard Rother wrote:

    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
    >> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just
    >> gunked over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech
    >> support & they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads
    >> with a q-tip & rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people
    >> doing). I'm not even sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it
    >> possible? I've never been very happy with the printer & it was not
    >> very expensive so willing to try something like that.

    > Hi Paul, don't know if this will apply to you but my kids old Epson
    > Stylus Color 600 lay dormant for months. Yesterday she wanted to print
    > something for school and the heads just moved up & down the paper
    > without delivering any ink. I got some narrow diameter tubing +/- 3mm
    > and sucked up some isopropyl alcohol. ( tastes vile by the way !! )
    > Placed the pipe in turn over the little thingies that were projecting
    > upwards ( the part that goes into the ink cartridge ) and blew alcohol
    > into each of the 4 nozzels. The alcohol went through ok but left a mess
    > of ink on the plastic liner which I wiped up. Put the cartridges back
    > and after a cleaning cycle or two to purge the alcolhol the printer was
    > back on line.
    > Good luck.
    > Bernard

    After reading Derek's reply I might also add that we no longer use Epson
    ink. The new cartridge I installed was by Inktek ..... Maybe a South
    African product, not sure.
    The one that gummed up the Epson in the first place was Epson Ink.

    I'm still looking for compatible inks for my Canon S9000. Beautiful
    printer but expensive to run. Usually take my CF card to a bureau and
    have them printed there whenever I need hard copies.
    Bernard.
    Bernard Rother, Aug 3, 2005
  6. Paul Furman

    piperut Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
    > zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
    > over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
    > they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
    > rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
    > sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
    > very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
    > try something like that.

    Actually the recommended solution is 1/2 rubbing achohol and 1/2
    windex.
    Someone else in this thread posted a response on who to send to for the
    cleaning instructions.

    You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel,
    under printers. That sometimes works.

    Also, someone has mentioned filling an old ink cartrige with the
    cleaning solution and running it through a few print cycles. I have
    never tried this one. (I don't know about doing this?)

    roland
    piperut, Aug 3, 2005
  7. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Thanks guys.
    Paul Furman, Aug 3, 2005
  8. piperut wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
    >> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just
    >> gunked over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech
    >> support & they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads
    >> with a q-tip & rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people
    >> doing). I'm not even sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it
    >> possible? I've never been very happy with the printer & it was not
    >> very expensive so willing to try something like that.

    > Actually the recommended solution is 1/2 rubbing achohol and 1/2
    > windex.
    > Someone else in this thread posted a response on who to send to for
    > the cleaning instructions.
    >
    > You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel,
    > under printers. That sometimes works.

    I find it usually works if you run it once, let everything sit for
    several hours and run it again. Some times a third try is needed.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 3, 2005
  9. Paul Furman

    BD Guest

    I agree about being screwed on the cartridges - this is why I will keep
    my Epson 777 alive as long as I possibly can - I have a source for
    cartridges at $5 apiece - color or black. Good ink, too - doesn't clog
    up nearly as much as the refill crap does. I can spend $30 and have
    enough ink for half a year.
    BD, Aug 3, 2005
  10. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    piperut wrote:

    > You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel

    Epson phone tech suggested doing that and running it three times without
    clicking finish to engage the deep cleaning mode then wait 24 hrs & try
    again. Very minor improvement.
    Paul Furman, Aug 3, 2005
  11. Paul Furman

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Furman <> wrote:

    > I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
    > zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
    > over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
    > they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
    > rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
    > sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
    > very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
    > try something like that.

    Just run the cleaning procedure in the Epson utilities software. You
    might have to run the procedure ten times or more for a thorough
    cleaning. My parents have the same printer. They rarely print anything
    so when I go there and my dad asks me to show him how to print
    something, the heads on their Epson C80 are usually clogged, and I have
    never had a problem getting it to print clearly after multiple cleanings.
    Shawn Hirn, Aug 3, 2005
  12. Paul Furman

    Alan S Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:11:55 -0400, Shawn Hirn
    <> wrote:

    >Just run the cleaning procedure in the Epson utilities software. You
    >might have to run the procedure ten times or more for a thorough
    >cleaning. My parents have the same printer. They rarely print anything
    >so when I go there and my dad asks me to show him how to print
    >something, the heads on their Epson C80 are usually clogged, and I have
    >never had a problem getting it to print clearly after multiple cleanings.

    I have to do that regularly with my epson 440 stylus.
    However, I've always suspected that the procedure wastes a
    lot of ink. Are my suspicions correct?
    Alan S, Aug 4, 2005
  13. Paul Furman

    nick c Guest

    Alan S wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:11:55 -0400, Shawn Hirn
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Just run the cleaning procedure in the Epson utilities software. You
    >>might have to run the procedure ten times or more for a thorough
    >>cleaning. My parents have the same printer. They rarely print anything
    >>so when I go there and my dad asks me to show him how to print
    >>something, the heads on their Epson C80 are usually clogged, and I have
    >>never had a problem getting it to print clearly after multiple cleanings.

    > I have to do that regularly with my epson 440 stylus.
    > However, I've always suspected that the procedure wastes a
    > lot of ink. Are my suspicions correct?

    Do brown dogs bark? Hell yes. :)
    nick c, Aug 4, 2005
  14. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Well I tried many more cleaning cycles as well as windexing the guts in
    various ways without hardly any change (black & magenta are still nearly
    dead) and now it's run down 3 more empty ink cartridges so I'm giving
    up. Anyone want a C80 cheap? I never liked the thing but geeze it's only
    about 3 years old.

    Any suggestions for an 11x17 size printer with roll feed & hearty ink
    cartidges?

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net
    Paul Furman, Aug 10, 2005
  15. Paul Furman

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Well I tried many more cleaning cycles as well as windexing the guts in
    > various ways without hardly any change (black & magenta are still nearly
    > dead) and now it's run down 3 more empty ink cartridges so I'm giving
    > up. Anyone want a C80 cheap? I never liked the thing but geeze it's only
    > about 3 years old.

    Hi Paul...

    If you're interested in giving it one last shot before you
    give it or throw it away, go to www.ssclg.com.

    He offers a (freeware) Epson utility that is fantastic.

    One (of many) utilities it offers is a "power cleaning"
    option. And choose between either color or black carts,
    so you needn't waste the other.

    If your printer is supported, it's worth a try.

    Good luck, and take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Aug 10, 2005