    on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
    suggestions appreciated.

    Conrad
    Conrad, Aug 5, 2007

  2. Conrad

    Ray Paseur Guest

    Conrad <> wrote in news:1186318534.605010.238750
    @z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
    > White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
    > fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
    > cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
    > doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
    > cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
    > (no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
    > on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
    > suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > Conrad

    Conrad, this sounds like there may be a color management workflow problem.
    It happens when both the printer and the computer are trying to manage the
    color. To say much more, you would need to tell us the program you're
    using to run the printer, and some details like the kind of paper, etc. If
    you don't know about color management, you might want to read up on it. Be
    prepared to spend some time -- it's not a "quick fix" but it's the right
    way to get your camera, monitor and printer all showing the same thing.

    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=color management

    HTH, Ray
    Ray Paseur, Aug 5, 2007

  3. Conrad

    Jim Guest

    "Conrad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
    > White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
    > fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
    > cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
    > doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
    > cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
    > (no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
    > on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
    > suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > Conrad

    Why are didn't you turn off colors in the printer dialog. It seems to me
    that what you are seeing is just another version of the complaint that Cyan
    + Yellow + Magenta does not
    always equal Black. Left to its own devices, the printer driver will
    attempt to use CMYK when it should
    have used just K, and the results are quite often undesirable.

    Jim
    Jim, Aug 5, 2007
  4. Conrad

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Conrad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
    > White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
    > fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
    > cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
    > doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
    > cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
    > (no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
    > on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
    > suggestions appreciated.

    Possibly the printer defaults to 'black ink only mode' for those settings
    where you get perfect black. If I let my Epson print B&W using all the
    colour inks I usually get a greenish cast.

    Work out how to set it to black ink only - possibly in the advanced
    settings. The availability of black ink only can depend on the paper setting
    you use. I always use heavy matt setting and can then get the black ink only
    command.

    I suggest using at least 1440 dpi in this setting.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Aug 5, 2007
  5. Conrad

    Guest

    are you using cs3? if so ...its having problems with epson printers
    and we're all awaiting a fix ...

    steve

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 05:55:34 -0700, Conrad <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
    >White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
    >fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
    >cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
    >doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
    >cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
    >(no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
    >on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
    >suggestions appreciated.
    >
    >Conrad
    , Aug 6, 2007
  6. Conrad

    Mike Russell Guest

    Conrad <> wrote in news:1186318534.605010.238750
    @z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

    > I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
    > White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
    > fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
    > cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
    > doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
    > cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
    > (no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
    > on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
    > suggestions appreciated.

    Hi Conrad,

    Based on the fact that that 4x6's do not have the green cast, I'm going to
    go out on a limb and say that this is a paper issue. Different papers
    absorb the inks differently, and this changes the color. For example, it's
    common to use Premium Glossy Photo Paper for 4x6 prints. This is a fairly
    pricey paper, and I would not be surprised of you are using a third party
    paper for your larger prints. If this is the case, try using Epson paper
    and see if the problem goes away.

    There is no need to get a special profile made to make use of your paper.
    You may address the problem directly by bumping the magenta slider in your
    default printer preferences. If this makes your prints too dark, then back
    off on the cyan and yellow instead, or a combination of the two. It helps
    to have a test pattern with various levels of gray for this procedure. The
    curvemeister site has such a test pattern, and a procedure designed to save
    paper as you make repeated adjustments:
    http://curvemeister.com/downloads/TestStrip/digital_test_strip.htm

    BTW - if you have access to CostCo, they sell a Costco brand paper in packs
    of 100 that I have found works very well with Epson inks, and may in fact be
    a repackaging of Epson materials.
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Aug 6, 2007
  7. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    On Aug 5, 5:55 am, Conrad <> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
    > White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
    > fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
    > cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
    > doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
    > cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
    > (no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
    > on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
    > suggestions appreciated.

    Wow! Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I really appreciate
    the time and effort you all took.

    Answers to some of your questions follow:

    I am using CS3 when tweaking photos. I transfer to a memory card (my
    MacMini computer doesn't talk to my printer). I load memory card into
    Epson R380 printer and use 3rd party paper to get finished print.

    I've tried to look for/obtain a different driver with no success.
    Trying to reach Epson is like trying to talk to God.
    Conrad, Aug 6, 2007
  8. Conrad

    davy Guest

    Try changing the brand of the paper.... or using a different brand of
    ink this often happens if you are not using OEM ink and paper.

    There are often these sort of problems posted in the Printer section
    http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/printers/

    Davy
    davy, Aug 6, 2007