    aspect ratio?

    Thanks in advance!

    Will
    Will, Feb 12, 2005

  2. "Will" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I got the PictureMate for the wife for Xmas and have to say that I'm very
    > dissappointed. While print results are superb, the paper size doesn't

    match
    > the ascpect ratio of our Canon A75, A95 or Coolpix 3200. We have to

    manually
    > crop every picture to avoid getting white borders at both ends of the

    print.
    > Printer works great for my *ist DS, but that is not what we got it for.
    >
    > Have searched around and can find nor mention of this issue - am I the

    only
    > one with this concern, or am I missing something?
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a similar photoprinter that will print at the correct
    > aspect ratio?

    Will:

    There is no such thing as "the correct aspect ratio".
    Consider: Your camera produces a 4:3 picture, just like 99% of all digital
    cameras.
    Your picture mate prints the popular 6x4 size, which is obviously 3:2, not
    4:3.
    But, if you sent your prints our for 5x3, that would be 5:3, not 4:3.
    How about 7x5 prints? Of course not. That's 7:5.
    Hmmm. 10x8? Nope. That's 5:4.

    So, you see, not only don't your PictureMate and camera match, no two sizes
    of common smaller prints match! Now, have you ever wondered about printing
    from your old 35mm camera? Have you measured the negative size to see
    what it's aspect ratio is? No matter what the 35mm aspect really is, we can
    see that it can only match one paper size, *at most*. Clearly,
    developer/printers
    have been cropping 35mm pictures all these years.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]
    Dan Wojciechowski, Feb 18, 2005