    output quality of a correctly functioning Epson 870 and a 1290s

    many thanks for your help

    Kevin
    Kevin Stephens, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Kevin Stephens

    Douglas Guest

    I have not heard of a recent model Epson,that did NOT have head clogging
    problems! I just dumped a $600 Epson 2200,and an Epson 960 because of the
    problem.Both had problems with Magenta,Epson brand cartridges! Now have a
    new Canon i9900!Check out this printer,before you buy another Epson!By the
    way Epsons support sucks!
    "Kevin Stephens" <> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide very
    > good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    > using it, also and more annoyingly when I use the nozzle clean function a
    > number of times, black ink can flood the paper rollers leaving black

    smudges
    > over my nice print.
    >
    > Thinking of upgrading to Epson 1290s or Canon i9100
    >
    > Could anyone help with a few qustions?
    > 1. Is there a simple way (kit) of cleaning black ink from the printer
    > rolloers on my 870?
    > 2. Are the Epson 1290 or canon i9100 prone to nozzle blockage wiht
    > infrequent use? If so how do they compare?
    > 3. apart from A3 and more dpi, is there a real world differenvce netween

    the

    Douglas, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Kevin Stephens

    Robertwgross Guest

    Kevin wrote:
    >I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide very
    >good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    >using it, also and more annoyingly when I use the nozzle clean function a
    >number of times, black ink can flood the paper rollers leaving black smudges
    >over my nice print.
    >
    >Thinking of upgrading to Epson 1290s or Canon i9100
    >
    >Could anyone help with a few qustions?
    >1. Is there a simple way (kit) of cleaning black ink from the printer
    >rolloers on my 870?
    >2. Are the Epson 1290 or canon i9100 prone to nozzle blockage wiht
    >infrequent use? If so how do they compare?
    >3. apart from A3 and more dpi, is there a real world differenvce netween the
    >output quality of a correctly functioning Epson 870 and a 1290s

    I have the 1270, and it does not clog. When you do the head cleaning routine,
    make sure that you have some normal matte paper in the printer. If the print
    head tries to print over nothing, then you get ink pooled and a mess.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Kevin Stephens

    David Hardin Guest

    I agree with Bob. I've been using a 1270 for 4 or 5 years and have had only
    one instance of nozzle plugging after I hadn't printed any color images in
    about 3 months. Otherwise, been great.

    David Hardin, Jun 20, 2004
  5. Kevin Stephens

    Skip M Guest

    > I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide very
    > good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    > using it, also and more annoyingly when I use the nozzle clean function a
    > number of times, black ink can flood the paper rollers leaving black

    smudges
    > over my nice print.
    >
    > Thinking of upgrading to Epson 1290s or Canon i9100
    >
    > Could anyone help with a few qustions?
    > 1. Is there a simple way (kit) of cleaning black ink from the printer
    > rolloers on my 870?
    > 2. Are the Epson 1290 or canon i9100 prone to nozzle blockage wiht
    > infrequent use? If so how do they compare?
    > 3. apart from A3 and more dpi, is there a real world differenvce netween

    the
    > output quality of a correctly functioning Epson 870 and a 1290s
    >
    > many thanks for your help
    >
    > Kevin

    Check out the Canon i9900 before you buy anything. Less than $500 and great
    image quality. If I hadn't just bought an i9000 late last year (clearance
    priced at $249) I'd probably be buying the 9900.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Kevin Stephens

    David French Guest

    > I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide very
    > good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    > using it, also and more annoyingly when I use the nozzle clean function a
    > number of times, black ink can flood the paper rollers leaving black

    smudges
    > over my nice print.
    >
    > Thinking of upgrading to Epson 1290s or Canon i9100
    >
    > Could anyone help with a few qustions?
    > 1. Is there a simple way (kit) of cleaning black ink from the printer
    > rolloers on my 870?
    > 2. Are the Epson 1290 or canon i9100 prone to nozzle blockage wiht
    > infrequent use? If so how do they compare?
    > 3. apart from A3 and more dpi, is there a real world differenvce netween

    the
    > output quality of a correctly functioning Epson 870 and a 1290s

    I had *exactly* the same problem as you. I owned a series of Epsons, most
    recently an 870, which all died through clogging. In the end my 870 blocked
    so solid it was irrepairable. I decided to go for a Canon i9100.

    1) Cotton buds and some kind of solvent like print head cleaner does it.

    2) I've heard 1290 *is*, like every other Epson printer I've ever had, but I
    can vouch that the i9100 *isn't*. If you Google around you'll find a *lot*
    of people having problems with blocked nozzles in Epsons. You'll also find
    most Canon users are perfectly happy. That's what swayed my decision.

    3) The printing on the i9100 is not as fine as the recent Epsons. You can
    find visible grain more easily, particularly compared to something like the
    1290. But only really if you look for it. If you compare a print from
    either at normal viewing distance, providing they're properly calibrated,
    there's really nothing in it.

    The nerd in me liked the idea of the 1290s, because of the very slight edge
    in quality, but finally common-sense won out and I went for the i9100.
    Personally, I'd rather have a technically slightly less good print, which is
    still perfectly serviceable by any standards, than have a printer which
    packs in frequently and needs replacing. I'm very pleased with my i9100 and
    wouldn't go back to Epson, unless I developed some strange desire to burn
    money.

    David
    David French, Jun 20, 2004
  7. Kevin Stephens

    Skip M Guest

    "David French" <> wrote in message
    > "Kevin Stephens" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide

    very
    > > good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    > > using it, also and more annoyingly when I use the nozzle clean function

    > > number of times, black ink can flood the paper rollers leaving black

    > smudges
    > > over my nice print.
    > >
    > > Thinking of upgrading to Epson 1290s or Canon i9100
    > >
    > > Could anyone help with a few qustions?
    > > 1. Is there a simple way (kit) of cleaning black ink from the printer
    > > rolloers on my 870?
    > > 2. Are the Epson 1290 or canon i9100 prone to nozzle blockage wiht
    > > infrequent use? If so how do they compare?
    > > 3. apart from A3 and more dpi, is there a real world differenvce netween

    > the
    > > output quality of a correctly functioning Epson 870 and a 1290s

    > I had *exactly* the same problem as you. I owned a series of Epsons, most
    > recently an 870, which all died through clogging. In the end my 870

    blocked
    > so solid it was irrepairable. I decided to go for a Canon i9100.
    >
    > 1) Cotton buds and some kind of solvent like print head cleaner does it.
    >
    > 2) I've heard 1290 *is*, like every other Epson printer I've ever had, but

    > can vouch that the i9100 *isn't*. If you Google around you'll find a

    *lot*
    > of people having problems with blocked nozzles in Epsons. You'll also

    find
    > most Canon users are perfectly happy. That's what swayed my decision.
    >
    > 3) The printing on the i9100 is not as fine as the recent Epsons. You can
    > find visible grain more easily, particularly compared to something like

    the
    > 1290. But only really if you look for it. If you compare a print from
    > either at normal viewing distance, providing they're properly calibrated,
    > there's really nothing in it.
    >
    > The nerd in me liked the idea of the 1290s, because of the very slight

    edge
    > in quality, but finally common-sense won out and I went for the i9100.
    > Personally, I'd rather have a technically slightly less good print, which

    is
    > still perfectly serviceable by any standards, than have a printer which
    > packs in frequently and needs replacing. I'm very pleased with my i9100

    and
    > wouldn't go back to Epson, unless I developed some strange desire to burn
    > money.
    >
    > David

    Hmmm, I can't see any visible grain in 13x19s from my i9000. A friend of
    mine who prints on every Epson known to man was looking at an 8x10 I printed
    on it last night, and he couldn't see any difference between it and his
    prints on a 2200. I don't know about the 9100, I've never seen one, but the
    prints from the 9900 are, if anything, better than the ones from my 9000.

    Skip M, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Kevin Stephens

    Tony Guest

    > I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide very
    > good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    > using it, also and more annoyingly when I use the nozzle clean function a
    > number of times, black ink can flood the paper rollers leaving black

    smudges
    > over my nice print.
    >
    > Thinking of upgrading to Epson 1290s or Canon i9100
    >
    > Could anyone help with a few qustions?
    > 1. Is there a simple way (kit) of cleaning black ink from the printer
    > rolloers on my 870?
    > 2. Are the Epson 1290 or canon i9100 prone to nozzle blockage wiht
    > infrequent use? If so how do they compare?
    > 3. apart from A3 and more dpi, is there a real world differenvce netween

    the
    > output quality of a correctly functioning Epson 870 and a 1290s
    >
    > many thanks for your help
    >
    > Kevin

    If you haven't done so already, do a search on Epson clogging. You'll find a
    couple of useful tips, most notably always to use the printer's own power
    button to power off the printer. Never use a power strip switch, etc, to
    power off an Epson printer. Something about heads parking correctly.

    Having said that, I have owned three Epson printers (EX, 1200, 1270) and
    have never had anything happen that a couple of head cleanings couldn't fix.
    This even after sometimes months between use.
    Tony, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Kevin Stephens

    Clyde Guest

    Kevin Stephens wrote:

    > I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide very
    > good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    > using it, also and more annoyingly when I use the nozzle clean function a
    > number of times, black ink can flood the paper rollers leaving black smudges
    > over my nice print.
    >
    > Thinking of upgrading to Epson 1290s or Canon i9100
    >
    > Could anyone help with a few qustions?
    > 1. Is there a simple way (kit) of cleaning black ink from the printer
    > rolloers on my 870?
    > 2. Are the Epson 1290 or canon i9100 prone to nozzle blockage wiht
    > infrequent use? If so how do they compare?
    > 3. apart from A3 and more dpi, is there a real world differenvce netween the
    > output quality of a correctly functioning Epson 870 and a 1290s
    >
    > many thanks for your help
    >
    > Kevin

    I used a 870 for years with no clogging problems. I'm using a R800 now
    without clogging problems. I think one of tricks for Epson printers is
    to never turn them off. Turning them off seems to make them clog.
    Leaving them on - they don't clog. I never turn mine off.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Clyde wrote:

    > I used a 870 for years with no clogging problems. I'm using a R800 now
    > without clogging problems. I think one of tricks for Epson printers is
    > to never turn them off. Turning them off seems to make them clog.
    > Leaving them on - they don't clog. I never turn mine off.
    >
    > Clyde

    In your experience. Mine is opposite :-( Yes, I only use Epson ink and
    Epson paper and my Epson 1280 clogs. I am just unlucky I guess. I have
    less clogging (but still does) if I leave it turn off when
    I am not using it. This is clearly a case of YMMV so less generalization
    would be more helpful.

    --
    // richard
    http://www.imagecraft.com
    Richard F. Man, Jun 22, 2004
  11. Kevin Stephens

    Clyde Guest

    Richard F. Man wrote:

    > Clyde wrote:
    >
    >> I used a 870 for years with no clogging problems. I'm using a R800 now
    >> without clogging problems. I think one of tricks for Epson printers is
    >> to never turn them off. Turning them off seems to make them clog.
    >> Leaving them on - they don't clog. I never turn mine off.
    >>
    >> Clyde

    > In your experience. Mine is opposite :-( Yes, I only use Epson ink and
    > Epson paper and my Epson 1280 clogs. I am just unlucky I guess. I have
    > less clogging (but still does) if I leave it turn off when
    > I am not using it. This is clearly a case of YMMV so less generalization
    > would be more helpful.

    Good point. However, I have heard of lots of people with my experience
    and you are the first with the opposite. I guess no rule is absolute.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Jun 23, 2004
  12. Kevin Stephens

    B.A.S. Guest

    Kevin Stephens wrote:

    > I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide very
    > good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    > using it,

    <snip>

    What's your climate? I've heard folks in certain climates (dry?)
    experience more of this problem than others. Also, are you sure you're
    using fresh, genuine Epson carts (carts can 'age', and there are
    counterfeit carts out there)?

    I get a little more clogging with the cheapie carts I now use in my old
    Photo 750 (never got clogs with Epson carts), but they clear up pretty
    easily. I live in a humid climate, and use the printer daily.

    spike
    B.A.S., Jun 23, 2004
  13. Kevin Stephens

    B.A.S. Guest

    B.A.S. wrote:
    > Kevin Stephens wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Epson photo 870 printer (A4, 5 colour+blk). It can provide
    >> very
    >> good results, but some of the nozzles block if I go for a spell without
    >> using it,

    > <snip>
    >
    > What's your climate? I've heard folks in certain climates (dry?)
    > experience more of this problem than others. Also, are you sure you're
    > using fresh, genuine Epson carts (carts can 'age', and there are
    > counterfeit carts out there)?
    >
    > I get a little more clogging with the cheapie carts I now use in my old
    > Photo 750 (never got clogs with Epson carts), but they clear up pretty
    > easily. I live in a humid climate, and use the printer daily.

    Ackk! I just noticed your uk email address - so much for dry climate as
    a cause!
    B.A.S., Jun 23, 2004