    with the scanner (or he has lost it) and I am trying to sort this from my
    own house (he lives a bit away from me) so that makes this even more
    difficult. Anybody able to help us..................please?
    eugene, Apr 13, 2007

  2. "eugene" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anybody use the 4490 model? My elderly Parish Priest is a photo
    > enthusiast and has thousands of old negs which he wants to scan. I am not
    > familiar with his scanner and I am having problems trying to get it to
    > scan film. It should be all pretty straightforward but when selecting the
    > document type, I cannot get the film selection to highlight and it is
    > therefore permanently in document. I just cannot get this thing to work
    > properly and I believe that the solution is simple and that I am just
    > missing something. Can anybody please enlighten me? He didn't get a manual
    > with the scanner (or he has lost it) and I am trying to sort this from my
    > own house (he lives a bit away from me) so that makes this even more
    > difficult. Anybody able to help us..................please?

    1. The light source in the lid needs to be connected. Is it connected?
    2. The film holder needs to be placed on the scanner in the correct
    orientation.

    But it's probably 1.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 13, 2007

  3. eugene

    eugene Guest

    > "eugene" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anybody use the 4490 model? My elderly Parish Priest is a photo
    >> enthusiast and has thousands of old negs which he wants to scan. I am not
    >> familiar with his scanner and I am having problems trying to get it to
    >> scan film. It should be all pretty straightforward but when selecting the
    >> document type, I cannot get the film selection to highlight and it is
    >> therefore permanently in document. I just cannot get this thing to work
    >> properly and I believe that the solution is simple and that I am just
    >> missing something. Can anybody please enlighten me? He didn't get a
    >> manual with the scanner (or he has lost it) and I am trying to sort this
    >> from my own house (he lives a bit away from me) so that makes this even
    >> more difficult. Anybody able to help us..................please?

    > 1. The light source in the lid needs to be connected. Is it connected?
    > 2. The film holder needs to be placed on the scanner in the correct
    > orientation.
    >
    > But it's probably 1.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    thanks, I'll check that one for Fr C
    eugene, Apr 13, 2007
  4. eugene

    Dave Guest

    eugene wrote:
    > Does anybody use the 4490 model? My elderly Parish Priest is a photo
    > enthusiast and has thousands of old negs which he wants to scan. I am not
    > familiar with his scanner and I am having problems trying to get it to scan
    > film. It should be all pretty straightforward but when selecting the
    > document type, I cannot get the film selection to highlight and it is
    > therefore permanently in document. I just cannot get this thing to work
    > properly and I believe that the solution is simple and that I am just
    > missing something. Can anybody please enlighten me? He didn't get a manual
    > with the scanner (or he has lost it) and I am trying to sort this from my
    > own house (he lives a bit away from me) so that makes this even more
    > difficult. Anybody able to help us..................please?

    In order to scan negatives with a Perfection scanner you need to remove
    the white rectangular mat on the interior of the lid to expose the light
    source.

    Dave
    Dave, Apr 13, 2007
  5. eugene

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:31:30 +0100, eugene wrote:

    > Does anybody use the 4490 model? My elderly Parish Priest is a photo
    > enthusiast and has thousands of old negs which he wants to scan. I am not
    > familiar with his scanner and I am having problems trying to get it to scan
    > film. It should be all pretty straightforward but when selecting the
    > document type, I cannot get the film selection to highlight and it is
    > therefore permanently in document. I just cannot get this thing to work
    > properly and I believe that the solution is simple and that I am just
    > missing something. Can anybody please enlighten me? He didn't get a manual
    > with the scanner (or he has lost it) and I am trying to sort this from my
    > own house (he lives a bit away from me) so that makes this even more
    > difficult. Anybody able to help us..................please?

    You should be able to find a manual online at the epson web site. I have
    that model working fine on Linux using the 'iscan' software from the
    avasys.jp web site. I've been scanning negatives from my mother's cache of
    old negatives - 110, 35mm, and 2.25 inch.
    ray, Apr 13, 2007
  6. eugene

    Marvin Guest

    eugene wrote:
    > Does anybody use the 4490 model? My elderly Parish Priest is a photo
    > enthusiast and has thousands of old negs which he wants to scan. I am not
    > familiar with his scanner and I am having problems trying to get it to scan
    > film. It should be all pretty straightforward but when selecting the
    > document type, I cannot get the film selection to highlight and it is
    > therefore permanently in document. I just cannot get this thing to work
    > properly and I believe that the solution is simple and that I am just
    > missing something. Can anybody please enlighten me? He didn't get a manual
    > with the scanner (or he has lost it) and I am trying to sort this from my
    > own house (he lives a bit away from me) so that makes this even more
    > difficult. Anybody able to help us..................please?

    You can download the manual at
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/..._UseBVCookie=yes&oid=58611&infoType=Overview/.

    You should have it. If it is like my 3490, there are a lot
    of choices you can make in the details of how you scan a
    slide, like dust removal and fade correction of color slides
    or negatives. And it is useful to clean the slides or
    negatives before you scan, but that should be done
    carefully. I blow loose dust off with canned air, but I
    never rub them clean.
    Marvin, Apr 13, 2007
  7. eugene

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:37:16 -0600
    ray <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:31:30 +0100, eugene wrote:
    >
    > > Does anybody use the 4490 model? [...]

    > You should be able to find a manual online at the epson web site. I
    > have that model working fine on Linux using the 'iscan' software from
    > the avasys.jp web site. I've been scanning negatives from my mother's
    > cache of old negatives - 110, 35mm, and 2.25 inch.

    I've got both iscan and XSane installed with my 4490, and I can't see
    any way to get rid of the orange cast short of heroic measures in the
    GIMP. I've mostly used XSane because iscan seems rather primitive by
    comparison. Has iscan got a "do the right thing" button for negatives
    that I've missed? :)

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Apr 14, 2007