    Which one do people prefer... (or even another sort I'm missing?)

    Thanks for any advice...
    , Sep 10, 2003

  2. Howdy J

    I think this essentially comes down to a personal
    aesthetic choice. Some folks like matte prints,
    some like glossy. My own leaning is towards
    the glossy; I like the way the colors snap; but
    again, it's a personal thing.

    Lifetime of the image is another item to consider.
    If you're printing with Epson's dye-based inks,
    images on heavyweight matte will have a longer
    lifetime than images on the premium glossy (assuming
    the images are stored/framed/illuminated the same).
    You can google up some of the data on that.

    A good choice for glossy prints on an Epson is
    the Photo paper, sold at Costco in a pack of 100
    8"x10" sheets for < $20. Prints on that paper have
    one of the longer lifetimes of the Epson glossy papers.

    If you're going to be mounting and framing behind
    glass, prints on the matte paper gain a lot of the
    "snap" of prints on the glossy.

    Hope that helps get you started. You should play
    around with all the Epson papers that seem of
    interest; you'll come to your own conclusions.

    Stan
    Stanley Krute, Sep 10, 2003

  3. fhe Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:00:35 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    > It is an artistic choice. I tend to chose matt for portraits and gloss
    >for something like race cars. I also tend to choose gloss for smaller size
    >prints and matt for larger size.
    >
    > I will suggest that all else being equal, matt displays better since it
    >has less of a problem with reflections.

    I agree with your choices but you gotta remember, prints look
    contrastier on glossy because the matte is limited as to how black a
    black it can display. I'll still use matte for almost all larger
    prints though-- going to glossy for 'problem' pics.
    fhe, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Both the heavyweight matt and premium glossy are meant for photos. What
    > situations are each good for? Mounting extra. Do some photos (colours and /
    > or subject) look better on either type?

    It really boils down to a matter of personal preference.
    I use both papers. It depends on the look you want to achieve
    with your printed output. Experiment and see what works best
    for you.
    , Sep 10, 2003
  5. HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it in
    the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
    Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -:)?
    Rosita
    HRosita, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Charlie D Guest

    In article <>,
    et (HRosita) wrote:

    > I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it in
    > the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
    > Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -:)?

    I kept doing that 'till I put a label on my printer

    "Green side down." ;)

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Ed Ruf Guest

    On 10 Sep 2003 23:25:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital et
    (HRosita) wrote:

    >I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it in
    >the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
    >Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -:)?

    For Epson papers, it has been my experience that the print side faces to
    the front/dispaly side of the package containing it.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Sep 11, 2003
  8. JIM Guest

    "FOR7b" <> wrote in message
    > You need better lighting then because it should be easy to see. The right

    side
    > is bright white and very smooth in texture compared to back even though it

    is
    > matte.

    Only for certain matte papers from Epson. Their Velvet Fine Art paper is a
    matte paper and about the only way you can tell the printed surface is to
    rub (lightly) the paper between your thumb and forefinger, the "rougher"
    feeling surface is the printed side in this case;) MOF, Epson's archival
    matte paper also feels rougher on the printed side, but then it provides
    printed directional arrows on the back of that paper - so loading it in
    error would require a momemtary brain synapse collapse. Doesn't seem like
    it would be all that costly for all photo type paper manufacturers to print
    something as simple as an X on the unprintable side?

    Shoot'em up, print on any side, Agaf, Kodak and all the rest will love you
    for it!!

    Jim
    JIM, Sep 11, 2003
  9. JIM Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <EG*nospam*> wrote in message
    > On 10 Sep 2003 23:25:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital et
    > (HRosita) wrote:
    >
    > >I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it

    in
    > >the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
    > >Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -:)?

    > For Epson papers, it has been my experience that the print side faces to
    > the front/dispaly side of the package containing it.

    Not sure about that; however, all my packages are open and I might have put
    them back opposite the way they came in the package. I rarely, in the
    smaller sizes anyway, pull the entire package from the box and am sure that
    the printable side of Epson's papers face the side that the plastic flap
    (plastic package the paper is in inside the cardboard box) is opened from;)
    ('Cause I know I've never had an entire pack removed from its inner plastic
    sleeve) At least every box I've ever opened from Epson has been this way -
    but then mine may have been packaged by one of those lefthanded chimps vice
    a righthander??

    Shoot'em up, print on anything, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
    you for it!!

    Jim
    JIM, Sep 11, 2003
  10. JIM Guest

    "Monica Krowley" <> wrote in message
    > Matte looks more professional. Glossy is for consumers.

    Be nice, nobody bite and let this die a natural death;)

    Shoot'em up, print on anything 'you' like, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the
    rest will love you for it!!

    Jim
    JIM, Sep 11, 2003
  11. HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    thank you everybody for the advice on how to tell the printable side from the
    back.
    Like another poster said, I wish Epson would put an X or a faint print on the
    back side with their logo to make it easier to tell.

    I now will check the entire box and put a small mark in the corner of the
    "unprintable side".

    Thanks again
    Rosita
    HRosita, Sep 11, 2003
  12. JC Dill Guest

    photo priter paper packed in plastic wrapping

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:16:06 GMT, "JIM" <> wrote

    >(plastic package the paper is in

    Is there a technical reason these papers are packaged in plastic
    wrapping/bags inside the paper boxes? I don't believe these papers
    are light sensitive as with chemical photographic papers, so I was
    wondering if it was tradition, or what.

    jc
    JC Dill, Sep 12, 2003
  13. Witheld Guest

    Re: photo priter paper packed in plastic wrapping

    In article <>,
    JC Dill <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:16:06 GMT, "JIM" <> wrote
    >
    > >(plastic package the paper is in

    > Is there a technical reason these papers are packaged in plastic
    > wrapping/bags inside the paper boxes? I don't believe these papers
    > are light sensitive as with chemical photographic papers, so I was
    > wondering if it was tradition, or what.
    >
    > jc

    It is probably to:

    a) keep out dust and dirt
    b) keep the paper from absorbing airborne pollutants which will yellow the
    paper. The box itself will give off acid and the paper will absorb it.
    --
    When you live next to the graveyard, you can't cry at every funeral.
    Witheld, Sep 12, 2003