    would be helpful.

    Your help is appreciated.

    Hiker
    HIKER4LIFE, Dec 7, 2006

  2. HIKER4LIFE

    frederick Guest

    HIKER4LIFE wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there anyone who would give me a little help with paper compatibility and
    > Epson printers.
    >
    > I've just purchased an R1800 (Epson) and the paper choices are minimal IMHO.
    > The Glossy Photo Paper is not listed and I have well over 100 sheets of
    > that.
    >
    > If anyone could give me a website with guidance - that would be great - or,
    > if someone might give me the recommended adjustments to make manually - that
    > would be helpful.
    >
    > Your help is appreciated.
    >
    > Hiker

    Most Epson sites list compatible paper types.
    The standard Epson glossy photo paper isn't suitable for pigment inks on
    the R1800 - it is designed to be used with dye inks only. You need to
    use Premium Glossy Photo Paper.
    Of the paper types listed in the printer driver, only the Matte
    Heavyweight is not so good IMO - Archival Matte (aka Enhanced Matte) is
    much better paper with the R1800, and is also included in the driver
    paper choices.
    For third party paper, I use Ilford Galerie "Smooth" papers. Avoid the
    Ilford Galerie "Classic" papers - which again are designed for dye inks.
    Ilford have ICC profiles and instructions for driver settings available
    for download - they give me excellent results printing with a
    colour-managed workflow.
    Epson Australia have pdf files available for download from their site
    which explain well the process of using a colour-managed workflow for
    printing from Photoshop using ICC profiles. This is especially
    recommended if you want accurate colour when using third party papers.

    The correct types of photo papers are sometimes called "fast-dry", "RC"
    or "Micro-ceramic" coated. Generally, photo papers for dye inks are
    coated with a swellable polymer that the dye soaks in to, designed to
    protect the dye from fading due to ozone / pollutants. With pigment
    inks, the resin binder in the ink soaks in slowly, leaving the pigment
    on the surface - they take a long time to dry, the colour is usually
    poor, the photos are easily scratched, and they are not water resistant.
    With the correct photo papers, dry prints from the R1800 are fully
    waterproof.

    There is a good forum at http://www.photo-i.co.uk devoted to the R1800.
    frederick, Dec 7, 2006

  3. HIKER4LIFE

    EO Guest

    EO, Dec 8, 2006
  4. HIKER4LIFE

    HIKER4LIFE Guest

    Thanks very much to the responses that I have received.

    HIKER4LIFE, Dec 9, 2006