Epson P-5000 a winner!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², Oct 28, 2006.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Just received the P-5000 today, and it's a MAJOR UPGRADE with VERY
    significant improvement on what was already the king of
    storage/display/Card-backup units.

    The big changes?

    Here are the significant changes I've noticed so far...

    -WAAAAY faster!! -500% faster viewing of files (rendering), and
    nearly-instant thumbnail appearance, which was a pain on the previous units
    -Better, more straight-forward menu system for basic operations
    -Much faster copyying (more than 200% faster)
    -Larger (4") screen, which now displays 24 bit color (!).
    -You can now ZOOM in on RAW files...AND...they display JUST AS QUICKLY as
    their jpeg counterparts! How did they do that???
    -Excellent "delete mode" for quickly eliminating junk-files
    -Capability to hook up DIRECTLY to an external hard drive for
    back-up/redundancy (very useful) via full-size USB connector on unit
    -HUGELY improved video file handling (now handles .avi, .mov, .div, .divx,
    ..mp4, .mpg, mpe, .asf, wmv, .m4v, mod, vob...just about anything you're
    likely to use)
    -Memory cards are no longer inserted in an "upside-down" manner
    -Blown highlight and shadow indicators when you desire
    -Zooming tool! -You can select the portion of the frame you want to check
    focus on, and zoom DIRECTLY to that portion at 100%. --Very helpful, and
    saves fiddling.
    -Adobe RGB display support!
    -Computer-upload software for easy back-up/up-load to PC
    -Easy * rating system for tagging images, and then sorting according to
    rating--very cool
    -Control over how thumbs are displayed, including size of thumbs,
    information shown, and even a small 64-image-per-page mode! -Which works
    amazingly well due to the large, high-res, 24 bit screen
    -If you like using it as a slide-show viewer (which also feeds a TV or
    projector), the transition effects are extremely smooth and classy
    -You can even connect a USB flash drive directly to the unit for file
    transfer/viewing
    -AND...you can use the full-size USB port to connect to STANDARD CARD
    READERS...which opens the unit to back-up of ANYONE'S images from ANY
    source.
    ---The above also means that you can "hand off" images to someone's USB
    device...without a computer. Very cool abilty.
    -Full file management, with folder naming and file naming FROM WITHIN THE
    DEVICE
    -Music fans will appreciate the addition of WMA and M4p files, instead of
    only mp3.
    -Music fans will also appreciate the inclusion of a file converter if you
    don't use the above formats
    -More for music...You can now shuffle and repeat lists of tunes

    As I noted above...this is a MAJOR UPGRADE which answers every single gripe
    I've ever had or heard with regard to Epson's great-but-imperfect
    P-2000/P-4000 units.

    I honestly can't think of anything they left out...and they thought of some
    very useful features I hadn't even thought to wish for.

    Very pleased.

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006

  2. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > Just received the P-5000 today, and it's a MAJOR UPGRADE with VERY
    > significant improvement on what was already the king of
    > storage/display/Card-backup units.
    >
    > The big changes?
    >
    > Here are the significant changes I've noticed so far...
    >
    > -WAAAAY faster!! -500% faster viewing of files (rendering), and
    > nearly-instant thumbnail appearance, which was a pain on the previous
    > units
    > -Better, more straight-forward menu system for basic operations
    > -Much faster copyying (more than 200% faster)
    > -Larger (4") screen, which now displays 24 bit color (!).
    > -You can now ZOOM in on RAW files...AND...they display JUST AS QUICKLY as
    > their jpeg counterparts! How did they do that???
    > -Excellent "delete mode" for quickly eliminating junk-files

    Mark, that really was not nice of you. Not nice at all. Grrr.

    > I honestly can't think of anything they left out...and they thought of
    > some very useful features I hadn't even thought to wish for.
    >
    > Very pleased.

    Sheesh. The rest of us who were hoping not to be spending another over
    US$500 aren't happy.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >> Just received the P-5000 today, and it's a MAJOR UPGRADE with VERY
    >> significant improvement on what was already the king of
    >> storage/display/Card-backup units.
    >>
    >> The big changes?
    >>
    >> Here are the significant changes I've noticed so far...
    >>
    >> -WAAAAY faster!! -500% faster viewing of files (rendering), and
    >> nearly-instant thumbnail appearance, which was a pain on the previous
    >> units
    >> -Better, more straight-forward menu system for basic operations
    >> -Much faster copyying (more than 200% faster)
    >> -Larger (4") screen, which now displays 24 bit color (!).
    >> -You can now ZOOM in on RAW files...AND...they display JUST AS
    >> QUICKLY as their jpeg counterparts! How did they do that???
    >> -Excellent "delete mode" for quickly eliminating junk-files

    > Mark, that really was not nice of you. Not nice at all. Grrr.
    >
    >> I honestly can't think of anything they left out...and they thought
    >> of some very useful features I hadn't even thought to wish for.
    >>
    >> Very pleased.

    > Sheesh. The rest of us who were hoping not to be spending another over
    > US$500 aren't happy.

    Sorry David. :)
    Hey...Maybe you should check out that new Canon device!
    It looks very interesting, and although its screen is SLIGHTLY smaller, it
    looks very promising.
    I was surprised to note that Canon isn't planning to release it in the US...
    Check it out here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093002canonm30m80.asp

    BTW--If you didn't notice my acknowledgement to you in another post...I just
    thought I'd mention that you DID make a good point about that pesky print
    button on the 5D. I didn't realize so many people in Japan don't use
    computers for digital photography. It seems odd to me, but that would
    certainly make print buttons make more sense... I still find it an
    annoyingly under-utilized piece of button real estate...but at least it's
    serving a purpose for SOME. :)

    Mark
    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006
  4. Mark²

    Frank ess Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >> Just received the P-5000 today, and it's a MAJOR UPGRADE with VERY
    >> significant improvement on what was already the king of
    >> storage/display/Card-backup units.
    >>
    >> The big changes?
    >>
    >> Here are the significant changes I've noticed so far...
    >>
    >> -WAAAAY faster!! -500% faster viewing of files (rendering), and
    >> nearly-instant thumbnail appearance, which was a pain on the
    >> previous
    >> units
    >> -Better, more straight-forward menu system for basic operations
    >> -Much faster copyying (more than 200% faster)
    >> -Larger (4") screen, which now displays 24 bit color (!).
    >> -You can now ZOOM in on RAW files...AND...they display JUST AS
    >> QUICKLY as their jpeg counterparts! How did they do that???
    >> -Excellent "delete mode" for quickly eliminating junk-files

    > Mark, that really was not nice of you. Not nice at all. Grrr.
    >
    >> I honestly can't think of anything they left out...and they thought
    >> of some very useful features I hadn't even thought to wish for.
    >>
    >> Very pleased.

    > Sheesh. The rest of us who were hoping not to be spending another
    > over
    > US$500 aren't happy.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can convince
    him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to learn that
    40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size of his largest
    CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.

    Anyone?

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 28, 2006
  5. Mark²

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    >> -You can now ZOOM in on RAW files...AND...they display JUST AS QUICKLY as
    >> their jpeg counterparts! How did they do that???

    They're simply showing the small JPG that is embedded in the RAW file.
    :)

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Oct 28, 2006
  6. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >>> Just received the P-5000 today, and it's a MAJOR UPGRADE with VERY
    >>> significant improvement on what was already the king of
    >>> storage/display/Card-backup units.
    >>>
    >>> The big changes?
    >>>
    >>> Here are the significant changes I've noticed so far...
    >>>
    >>> -WAAAAY faster!! -500% faster viewing of files (rendering), and
    >>> nearly-instant thumbnail appearance, which was a pain on the
    >>> previous
    >>> units
    >>> -Better, more straight-forward menu system for basic operations
    >>> -Much faster copyying (more than 200% faster)
    >>> -Larger (4") screen, which now displays 24 bit color (!).
    >>> -You can now ZOOM in on RAW files...AND...they display JUST AS
    >>> QUICKLY as their jpeg counterparts! How did they do that???
    >>> -Excellent "delete mode" for quickly eliminating junk-files

    >> Mark, that really was not nice of you. Not nice at all. Grrr.
    >>
    >>> I honestly can't think of anything they left out...and they thought
    >>> of some very useful features I hadn't even thought to wish for.
    >>>
    >>> Very pleased.

    >> Sheesh. The rest of us who were hoping not to be spending another
    >> over
    >> US$500 aren't happy.
    >>
    >> David J. Littleboy
    >> Tokyo, Japan

    > One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can convince
    > him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to learn that
    > 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size of his largest
    > CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
    >
    > Anyone?

    Not necessary...for who?
    The 5D saves VERY large files...and I needed EVERY BIT of the 40GB my other
    drive held when I was in Ukraine. I actually wished for more on that trip.
    There's something to be said for your basic point...except...that I'll be
    using this drive for a lot more than merely CF card transfer of still
    images. It's also a video vault. With my dinky little 700IS camera
    shooting VGA video files at 9 minutes per gigabyte, the extra space will be
    very useful. A single hour of video eats up a whopping 5.5GB. Then add the
    fact that I'll keep a "portfolio" of sorts of better shots on the drive to
    share...and it quickly doesn't seem so big.

    More... When traveling I often do some editing and RAW conversion. This
    leads to files that can be as large as 70+MB *per image* when saved as 16bit
    tiffs. Save a few versions and you've got a massive storage load. Even if
    I have my laptop, it's nice to have a back-up of those files, and this
    device is perfect for that.

    My computer at home has 9 hard drives and several TERAbytes of info. 80GB
    is not overkill for a portable, in my view. If they offer a 120GB for
    another $100, I'd have preferred that. At some point, it becomes too much
    in one device...but with 80, I can basically have full redundancy for
    everything on my 100GB laptop hard-drive...by the time you ignore about 20GB
    of system, program, and other replaceable files.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006
  7. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Steve Wolfe wrote:
    >>> -You can now ZOOM in on RAW files...AND...they display JUST AS
    >>> QUICKLY as their jpeg counterparts! How did they do that???

    > They're simply showing the small JPG that is embedded in the RAW
    > file. :)

    Yes. As it turns out, that's true.
    This is, however, the same embedded jpeg that DSLRs do an even worse job of
    letting you zoom in on using the on-camera display.
    This is a vast improvement.

    The other items in the list are very significant improvements to anyone who
    has used the previous Epsons.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006
  8. Mark² wrote:
    > Just received the P-5000 today, and it's a MAJOR UPGRADE with VERY
    > significant improvement on what was already the king of
    > storage/display/Card-backup units.
    >
    > The big changes?
    >
    > Here are the significant changes I've noticed so far...

    Thanks for the report, Mark². Can't quite justify the upgrade of our
    P-2000 but great to know that the new model can be highly recommended.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 28, 2006
  9. Mark²

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Frank ess wrote:
    >
    > One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can convince
    > him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to learn that
    > 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size of his largest
    > CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
    >
    > Anyone?

    Hi Frank,

    The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this is
    enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
    since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the (rare for
    you I'm sure) bad ones ...

    It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
    every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy trigger
    fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and every year
    it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB (actually 72 GB)
    version gives you expansion space ...

    Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36 GB
    would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ... but
    with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.

    Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two people
    even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

    Bill Hilton, Oct 28, 2006
  10. Mark²

    Frank ess Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> Frank ess wrote:
    >>
    >> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
    >> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to
    >> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size
    >> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
    > is
    > enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
    > since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the (rare
    > for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
    >
    > It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
    > every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
    > trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
    > every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
    > (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
    >
    > Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36
    > GB
    > would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ...
    > but
    > with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
    >
    > Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
    > people
    > even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

    Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
    wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

    Mulling it over, I remembered that I've thrown away more than a
    hundred dollars on nonsense stuff (taking the family to a bad movie,
    f'rinstance) and had nothing to show for it but corn in the teeth.
    Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition for
    a traveling couple. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too
    much accessible disk space, I guess. B&H starts taking orders again in
    just a few hours ...

    Thanks again,

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 28, 2006
  11. Mark²

    Lefty Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>> Frank ess wrote:
    >>>
    >>> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
    >>> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to
    >>> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size
    >>> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone?

    >> Hi Frank,
    >>
    >> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this is
    >> enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
    >> since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the (rare
    >> for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
    >>
    >> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
    >> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
    >> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
    >> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
    >> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
    >>
    >> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36 GB
    >> would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ... but
    >> with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
    >>
    >> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two people
    >> even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

    > Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth wasn't
    > anywhere near as encouraging.
    >
    > Mulling it over, I remembered that I've thrown away more than a hundred
    > dollars on nonsense stuff (taking the family to a bad movie, f'rinstance)
    > and had nothing to show for it but corn in the teeth. Maybe the 40GB
    > version would be suitable as a one-each proposition for a traveling
    > couple. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too much accessible
    > disk space, I guess. B&H starts taking orders again in just a few hours
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    It will write to an external USB hard drive. The P-5000 acts as the host. It
    has both host and device USB ports on the back.

    Lefty, Oct 28, 2006
  12. Mark²

    Bill Hilton Guest

    -

    > Frank ess wrote:
    >
    > Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
    > wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

    Funny thing about that ... about two plus years ago I was asking about
    the P-2000 (40 GB) and remarked that I felt I needed more storage space
    (the 80 GB P-4000 wasn't out yet).

    Mark the Twoth (whom I consider a pal ... he almost went to Alaska once
    with me to photograph brown bears) told me that even for two people the
    P-2000 (which he had at the time) was enough and that's what I should
    get. My how times have changed :)

    You can probably dig up that old thread and see what his arguments were
    at the time ... I'm sure part of his change of heart is due to having a
    12 Mpixel camera like the 5D too.

    > Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition for
    > a traveling couple.

    You can also get one of these and then one of something with more disk
    space but no preview screen, which will be much less expensive ... we
    have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't have a
    preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw a sale ad
    for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 28, 2006
  13. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>> Frank ess wrote:
    >>>
    >>> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
    >>> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to
    >>> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size
    >>> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone?

    >> Hi Frank,
    >>
    >> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
    >> is
    >> enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
    >> since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the (rare
    >> for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
    >>
    >> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
    >> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
    >> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
    >> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
    >> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
    >>
    >> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36
    >> GB
    >> would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ...
    >> but
    >> with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
    >>
    >> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
    >> people
    >> even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

    > Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
    > wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

    What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
    :) ?

    > Mulling it over, I remembered that I've thrown away more than a
    > hundred dollars on nonsense stuff (taking the family to a bad movie,
    > f'rinstance) and had nothing to show for it but corn in the teeth.
    > Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition for
    > a traveling couple. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too
    > much accessible disk space, I guess. B&H starts taking orders again in
    > just a few hours ...
    >
    > Thanks again,

    Uh oh... :) I smell burning plastic...

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006
  14. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Lefty wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Frank,
    >>>
    >>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
    >>> is enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer,
    >>> especially since you can view the previews pretty clearly and
    >>> delete the (rare for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
    >>>
    >>> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
    >>> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
    >>> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
    >>> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
    >>> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
    >>>
    >>> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36
    >>> GB would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer
    >>> ... but with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
    >>>
    >>> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
    >>> people even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

    >> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
    >> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.
    >>
    >> Mulling it over, I remembered that I've thrown away more than a
    >> hundred dollars on nonsense stuff (taking the family to a bad movie,
    >> f'rinstance) and had nothing to show for it but corn in the teeth.
    >> Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition
    >> for a traveling couple. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have
    >> too much accessible disk space, I guess. B&H starts taking orders
    >> again in just a few hours ...
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank ess
    >>

    > It will write to an external USB hard drive. The P-5000 acts as the
    > host. It has both host and device USB ports on the back.

    Yes...which is very unusual, and helpful.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006
  15. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>> Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
    >>> is enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer

    > -
    >
    >> Frank ess wrote:
    >>
    >> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
    >> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

    > Funny thing about that ... about two plus years ago I was asking about
    > the P-2000 (40 GB) and remarked that I felt I needed more storage
    > space (the 80 GB P-4000 wasn't out yet).
    >
    > Mark the Twoth (whom I consider a pal ... he almost went to Alaska
    > once with me to photograph brown bears) told me that even for two
    > people the P-2000 (which he had at the time) was enough and that's
    > what I should get. My how times have changed :)

    Did I say that? :) I don't think they had come out with the 80GB P-4000 at
    the time.
    Funny what moving from a 6MP 10D to a 12.8MP 5D can do to your storage
    requirements...

    What the heck is a twoth?

    > You can probably dig up that old thread and see what his arguments
    > were at the time ... I'm sure part of his change of heart is due to
    > having a 12 Mpixel camera like the 5D too.
    >
    >> Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition
    >> for a traveling couple.

    > You can also get one of these and then one of something with more disk
    > space but no preview screen, which will be much less expensive ... we
    > have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't have a
    > preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw a sale ad
    > for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.

    Or...you might simply take along an external USB hard drive and connect to
    it via the P-3000 or P-5000, which acts as a full host--so long as the drive
    is fully plug-and-play (doesn't require driver installation).

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006
  16. Mark²

    Frank ess Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:

    >>> Hi Frank,
    >>>
    >>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
    >>> is
    >>> enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
    >>> since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the
    >>> (rare
    >>> for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
    >>>
    >>> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a
    >>> lot
    >>> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
    >>> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
    >>> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
    >>> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
    >>>
    >>> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so
    >>> 36
    >>> GB
    >>> would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ...
    >>> but
    >>> with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
    >>>
    >>> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
    >>> people
    >>> even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

    >> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
    >> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

    > What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
    > :) ?

    When I read, my lips move and I hear words in my head. "Mark with the
    superscript two", or "Mark Alt-0178" are tongue/brain/ear-twisters.
    You'd prefer "Mark the Square"? I can do that.

    See, I was hoping someone would tell me the lesser appliance was
    sufficient, so I could spend the difference on another (probably bad)
    movie. No such luck. I suppose I'll eventually thank you.

    Thank you,

    --
    Frank ess

    <snip>

    > Uh oh... :) I smell burning plastic...

    Yes, thanks to Mark Square's incendiary comments ...

    --
    Frank ess
    The real End, this time.

    Frank ess, Oct 28, 2006
  17. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> Frank ess wrote:

    >>> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
    >>> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

    >> What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
    >> :) ?
    >>

    > When I read, my lips move and I hear words in my head. "Mark with the
    > superscript two", or "Mark Alt-0178" are tongue/brain/ear-twisters.
    > You'd prefer "Mark the Square"? I can do that.

    Ah.
    Mark2 works for me... :) -Has a certain Canon ring to it...though that was
    unintentional...
    There are several Marks here, so I figure the ² helps people know which is
    which.
    I am a bit square, too, so Mark Squared works OK.
    Or how about just Mark?
    Laik bilong yu...

    > See, I was hoping someone would tell me the lesser appliance was
    > sufficient, so I could spend the difference on another (probably bad)
    > movie. No such luck. I suppose I'll eventually thank you.

    I think you may.
    Any time I can MORE than double capacity (because you really only get about
    36GB on the 40) for a bit more (and I'm afraid it's more like $200 more...),
    I think that's a pretty good move. It's not like you can just stuff a new
    hard drive in there, so I'd rather double-up now.

    On a percentage-increase basis, its fairly economical...especially consider
    that computer geeks spend a couple hundred extra for a mere 5-10%
    processor-speed increase when buying a computer.

    I all-too-good at these purchase rationalizations, though, so don't listent
    to me...

    -Mark²

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006
  18. Mark²

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:20:00 -0700, Frank ess wrote:

    > Mark² wrote:
    >> What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
    >> :) ?

    > When I read, my lips move and I hear words in my head. "Mark with the
    > superscript two", or "Mark Alt-0178" are tongue/brain/ear-twisters.
    > You'd prefer "Mark the Square"? I can do that.

    He'd probably also prefer "Mark the twoth" to "Mark the TwoFaced".
    He does that² in replies, often in the vicinity of his ":)" smileys,
    this one being one of those inconvenient rule-provers.

    ASAAR, Oct 28, 2006
  19. Mark²

    Bill Hilton Guest

    '

    > Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote
    >
    > Did I say that? :)

    Gonna make me look up the thread, I see ... the title was "Epson P-2000
    -What a great device!" started by you (note the similarity to this
    thread's title :) ... begun July 6, 2005 ...

    Part of the exchange ...

    I wrote "I'm a bit put off by the 40 GB limit"

    And Mark M replied:
    (quote)
    But I find that when I'm on a trip, the main thing I want to be able to
    do
    is:
    1) Quickly verify that I have a solid copy
    2) Review shots at the end of the day adn see if any need to be
    re-shot,
    etc.

    For these two needs, I really do think this is sufficient.
    If 40GB is too small, then there you go... :(
    But for me (and most people), 35GB of RAW files is plenty
    (end quote)

    So there you go Frank :) ... "But for me (and most people), 35GB of RAW
    files is plenty" directly from the Twoth ...

    > Funny what moving from a 6MP 10D to a 12.8MP 5D can do to your storage
    > requirements...

    I was already at 11 Mpix with the 1Ds plus storing for two people so I
    agree ...

    > What the heck is a twoth?

    Mark to the second power ... you have been called worse :)

    >> we have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't
    >> have a preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw
    >> a sale ad for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.

    ..
    > Or...you might simply take along an external USB hard drive and

    connect to
    > it via the P-3000 or P-5000, which acts as a full host--so long as the drive
    > is fully plug-and-play (doesn't require driver installation).

    The advantage of the Wolverine (or similar) is that is has a CF card
    reader slot so if the Epson is lost or breaks you can still download
    cards ... it also has a USB connection so you can probably still write
    off to it directly from the Epson. So it's like an external USB drive
    except with a built-in card reader.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 28, 2006
  20. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>> Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Funny thing about that ... about two plus years ago I was asking
    >>> about the P-2000 (40 GB) and remarked that I felt I needed more
    >>> storage space (the 80 GB P-4000 wasn't out yet).
    >>>
    >>> Mark the Twoth ... told me that even for two
    >>> people the P-2000 (which he had at the time) was enough and that's
    >>> what I should get. My how times have changed :)

    > '
    >
    >> Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote
    >>
    >> Did I say that? :)

    > Gonna make me look up the thread, I see ... the title was "Epson
    > P-2000 -What a great device!" started by you (note the similarity to
    > this thread's title :) ... begun July 6, 2005 ...
    >
    > Part of the exchange ...
    >
    > I wrote "I'm a bit put off by the 40 GB limit"
    >
    > And Mark M replied:
    > (quote)
    > But I find that when I'm on a trip, the main thing I want to be able
    > to do
    > is:
    > 1) Quickly verify that I have a solid copy
    > 2) Review shots at the end of the day adn see if any need to be
    > re-shot,
    > etc.
    >
    > For these two needs, I really do think this is sufficient.
    > If 40GB is too small, then there you go... :(
    > But for me (and most people), 35GB of RAW files is plenty
    > (end quote)
    >
    > So there you go Frank :) ... "But for me (and most people), 35GB of
    > RAW files is plenty" directly from the Twoth ...

    Ya, OK....
    :)
    But remember... Digital years are like dog years x2 (14 years).
    That's why we'd all be wise to perhaps refrain from ever uttering the words,
    "That's all you'll ever need."
    -No such thing in the digital world... :(

    >> What the heck is a twoth?

    > Mark to the second power ... you have been called worse :)

    Ain't that the truth... :(
    -Happily, I have pretty thick skin (though sometimes a pretty thick head as
    well).

    >>> we have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't
    >>> have a preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw
    >>> a sale ad for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.

    > .
    > > Or...you might simply take along an external USB hard drive and

    > connect to
    >> it via the P-3000 or P-5000, which acts as a full host--so long as
    >> the drive is fully plug-and-play (doesn't require driver
    >> installation).

    > The advantage of the Wolverine (or similar) is that is has a CF card
    > reader slot so if the Epson is lost or breaks you can still download
    > cards ... it also has a USB connection so you can probably still write
    > off to it directly from the Epson. So it's like an external USB drive
    > except with a built-in card reader.

    That sounds like a good back-up.

    I will most likely still drag my very small laptop along, but as you know, a
    laptop just isn't practical in the field. Better to keep it at the hotel or
    in the car/tent. I still have the P-2000, which will probably still make it
    into bag #2.

    I just hooked the P-5000 directly to an external 500GB hard drive and was
    able to browse & copy images right on the screen. It also has an automatic
    backup function which dump ALL card-saves on the unit to an external USB
    drive. Works a charm...and no laptop needed.
    Blah blah blah.

    -Mark

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Oct 28, 2006