epson ink cartrigdges - replacement compatbile inks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    alternatives to the official epson ink.

    I stumbled across this
    http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm

    bulk ink flow system.

    It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?

    otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    real deal epson ones.

    I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    void warranties etc etc etc.

    Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    results!

    Nova, Jul 27, 2005

  2. Nova

    Harry Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    > As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    > cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    > alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >
    > I stumbled across this
    > http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >
    > bulk ink flow system.
    >
    > It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >
    > otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    > as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    > real deal epson ones.
    >
    > I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    > basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    > companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    > void warranties etc etc etc.
    >
    > Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    > results!

    Throw your epson away and buy a new printer.
    Get something like a canon which has cheaper, individual ink
    cartridges.

    Harry, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >

    >>Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >>As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >>cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >>alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >>
    >>I stumbled across this
    >>http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >>
    >>bulk ink flow system.
    >>
    >>It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >>
    >>otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >>as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >>real deal epson ones.
    >>
    >>I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >>basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >>companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >>void warranties etc etc etc.
    >>
    >>Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >>results!

    > Throw your epson away and buy a new printer.
    > Get something like a canon which has cheaper, individual ink
    > cartridges.

    Thank's for that absolutely useless input.

    Nova, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Nova

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:45:47 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >
    >I stumbled across this
    >http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >
    >bulk ink flow system.
    >
    >It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >
    >otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >real deal epson ones.
    >
    >I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >void warranties etc etc etc.
    >
    >Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >results!

    There is Only one brand to get and you get 30% more ink

    Jettek made in the UK and has the Royal Warrant..

    http://www.jettec.co.uk/

    Local Agents

    http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=91

    Be very careful as most inks will block your printer head..

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  5. Nova

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:05:10 +1000, Harry <> wrote:

    >Nova wrote:
    >
    >> Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >> As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >> cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >> alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >>
    >> I stumbled across this
    >> http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >>
    >> bulk ink flow system.
    >>
    >> It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >>
    >> otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >> as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >> real deal epson ones.
    >>
    >> I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >> basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >> companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >> void warranties etc etc etc.
    >>
    >> Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >> results!

    >Throw your epson away and buy a new printer.
    >Get something like a canon which has cheaper, individual ink
    >cartridges.

    What the one that the print heads only last 18 months, you are joking, plus
    most of the lower price Canons are only 3 colours..

    Epsom's also have the longest picture life..

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:45:47 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >>As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >>cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >>alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >>
    >>I stumbled across this
    >>http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >>
    >>bulk ink flow system.
    >>
    >>It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >>
    >>otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >>as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >>real deal epson ones.
    >>
    >>I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >>basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >>companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >>void warranties etc etc etc.
    >>
    >>Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >>results!
    >>

    > There is Only one brand to get and you get 30% more ink

    Why is there only one brand? there are lots of brands out there.. :)
    im sure there is more than 1 company that can make decent ink (thought
    the printer companies would never admit this)

    > Jettek made in the UK and has the Royal Warrant..
    >

    > http://www.jettec.co.uk/
    >
    > Local Agents
    >
    > http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=91
    >

    > Be very careful as most inks will block your printer head..

    As much as I've heard people warning about this (mainly by the printer
    companies) it seems I can't find anyone that has used a non official ink
    that has had this problem.

    Anyway thanks for the link, the prices look nice and compeditive..
    I might try both out..

    I kinda like the other system cause it gives you _loads_ of ink..

    Nova, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:05:10 +1000, Harry <> wrote:
    >

    >>Nova wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >>>As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >>>cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >>>alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >>>
    >>>I stumbled across this
    >>>http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >>>
    >>>bulk ink flow system.
    >>>
    >>>It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >>>
    >>>otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >>>as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >>>real deal epson ones.
    >>>
    >>>I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >>>basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >>>companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >>>void warranties etc etc etc.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >>>results!

    >>Throw your epson away and buy a new printer.
    >>Get something like a canon which has cheaper, individual ink
    >>cartridges.

    > What the one that the print heads only last 18 months, you are joking, plus
    > most of the lower price Canons are only 3 colours..
    >

    > Epsom's also have the longest picture life..

    and of course lots of epson printers have individual cartridges which he
    doesn't seem to be aware of. I assumed he was just trolling or isn't
    that well informed..

    Nova, Jul 27, 2005
  8. Nova

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:24:51 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:45:47 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >>>As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >>>cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >>>alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >>>
    >>>I stumbled across this
    >>>http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >>>
    >>>bulk ink flow system.
    >>>
    >>>It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >>>
    >>>otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >>>as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >>>real deal epson ones.
    >>>
    >>>I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >>>basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >>>companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >>>void warranties etc etc etc.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >>>results!
    >>>

    >> There is Only one brand to get and you get 30% more ink

    >Why is there only one brand? there are lots of brands out there.. :)
    >im sure there is more than 1 company that can make decent ink (thought
    >the printer companies would never admit this)

    What other brands are made in the UK and have a full warrantee plus 30% more
    ink and has the Royal Warrant.

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  9. Nova

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:24:51 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:45:47 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >>>As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >>>cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >>>alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >>>
    >>>I stumbled across this
    >>>http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >>>
    >>>bulk ink flow system.
    >>>
    >>>It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >>>
    >>>otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >>>as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >>>real deal epson ones.
    >>>
    >>>I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >>>basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >>>companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >>>void warranties etc etc etc.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >>>results!
    >>>

    >> There is Only one brand to get and you get 30% more ink

    >Why is there only one brand? there are lots of brands out there.. :)
    >im sure there is more than 1 company that can make decent ink (thought
    >the printer companies would never admit this)
    >

    >> Jettek made in the UK and has the Royal Warrant..
    >>

    >> http://www.jettec.co.uk/
    >>
    >> Local Agents
    >>
    >> http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=91
    >>

    >> Be very careful as most inks will block your printer head..

    >As much as I've heard people warning about this (mainly by the printer
    >companies) it seems I can't find anyone that has used a non official ink
    >that has had this problem.

    Go to the Printer News group..

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  10. Nova

    Harry Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> Nova wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    >>>As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    >>>cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    >>>alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >>>
    >>>I stumbled across this
    >>>http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >>>
    >>>bulk ink flow system.
    >>>
    >>>It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >>>
    >>>otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    >>>as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    >>>real deal epson ones.
    >>>
    >>>I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    >>>basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    >>>companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    >>>void warranties etc etc etc.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    >>>results!

    >> Throw your epson away and buy a new printer.
    >> Get something like a canon which has cheaper, individual ink
    >> cartridges.
    >>

    > Thank's for that absolutely useless input.

    Most printers these days are designed to be thrown away when the ink
    runs out. Just buy a new printer. If it lasts you a year then it
    is only costing $5 per week. And the cost can be instantly written
    off against your income so it works out even cheaper.

    But if you insist on replacing the ink instead of buying a new
    printer then use the manufacturers ink because the other stuff
    will probably cause you more grief than it is worth.

    Harry, Jul 27, 2005
  11. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:24:51 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>Tony wrote:

    >>>There is Only one brand to get and you get 30% more ink

    >>Why is there only one brand? there are lots of brands out there.. :)
    >>im sure there is more than 1 company that can make decent ink (thought
    >>the printer companies would never admit this)

    > What other brands are made in the UK and have a full warrantee plus 30% more
    > ink and has the Royal Warrant.

    Well they just lost my business, i tried to place an order had
    everything i wanted in the checkout, filled in my details, it asked me
    how I wanted to pay, I clicked on credit and then i get

    " The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
    changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
    "

    Pretty important thing to get wrong for an online shop...

    Nova, Jul 27, 2005
  12. Nova

    frederick Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Epsom's also have the longest picture life..

    True and false. Some epsons do - but I doubt that the R310 does.

    frederick, Jul 27, 2005
  13. Nova

    frederick Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:24:51 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >>>Be very careful as most inks will block your printer head..

    >>As much as I've heard people warning about this (mainly by the printer
    >>companies) it seems I can't find anyone that has used a non official ink
    >>that has had this problem.

    > Go to the Printer News group..

    Judging by the flame wars that go on there on the subject of aftermarket
    inks, I kind of doubt that it's much use looking at
    comp.peripherals.printers unless you are forwarned that you will be
    pounced upon if you mention the subject, will receive wildly conflicting
    advice, be accused of trolling, and probably not want to go back there.
    Apart from asking an innocent genuine question about aftermarket ink,
    asking a Canon vs Epson question seems to get them pretty stirred up too.

    Computerfood.co.nz seem to have reasonable prices, and have delivered
    oem cartridges to me freight-free in Chch. If someone can suggest a
    better place to get oem epson cartridges in NZ, please let me know.
    I find it hard to hold back tears when I order a set of inks for my
    R1800 - it gives me the same emotional jolt as a parking ticket to
    remind me that my WOF has expired.

    frederick, Jul 27, 2005
  14. Nova

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:40:38 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:

    >>>Why is there only one brand? there are lots of brands out there.. :)
    >>>im sure there is more than 1 company that can make decent ink (thought
    >>>the printer companies would never admit this)

    >> What other brands are made in the UK and have a full warrantee plus 30% more
    >> ink and has the Royal Warrant.
    >>

    >Well they just lost my business, i tried to place an order had
    >everything i wanted in the checkout, filled in my details, it asked me
    >how I wanted to pay, I clicked on credit and then i get
    >
    >" The page cannot be found
    >The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
    >changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
    >"
    >
    >Pretty important thing to get wrong for an online shop...

    Why not e-mail them like I did..

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  15. Nova

    Jerry Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Well unfortunately the ink is nearly dry in my epson r310..
    > As the cost of replacing the cartridges is going to be the same as the
    > cost of the printer I've been delaying splashing out and looking at
    > alternatives to the official epson ink.
    >
    > I stumbled across this
    > http://www.inksmart.co.nz/prod2323.htm
    >
    > bulk ink flow system.
    >
    > It appears _far_ cheaper but am wondering if anyone has tried this out?
    >
    > otherwise I'll probably buy some normal compatible cartridges for them
    > as they are 14 dollars instead of 30-40 as they are in the shops for the
    > real deal epson ones.
    >
    > I've read some reviews about other compatible inks here and there,
    > basically saying people cannot tell the difference, but how the printer
    > companies obviously employ scare tactics saying they can clog heads,
    > void warranties etc etc etc.
    >
    > Anyway if I don't hear back from anyone I'll try it out and report the
    > results!

    If you send it in for warrantee repair, be sure it has epson carts in it
    or be prepared for a fight, even if for a paper feed problem. Other
    than that, non epson carts will be of less quality if closely compared
    in a high res print, looked at very closely but not unless you are
    looking very closely.

    Jerry, Jul 27, 2005
  16. Nova

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > > Thank's for that absolutely useless input.

    > Most printers these days are designed to be thrown away when the ink
    > runs out. Just buy a new printer. If it lasts you a year then it
    > is only costing $5 per week. And the cost can be instantly written
    > off against your income so it works out even cheaper.
    >
    > But if you insist on replacing the ink instead of buying a new
    > printer then use the manufacturers ink because the other stuff
    > will probably cause you more grief than it is worth.

    You're a troll, an Epson 310 isn't a throw away printer.

    Craig Sutton, Jul 27, 2005
  17. Nova

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:25:32 +1200, frederick <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >

    >> Epsom's also have the longest picture life..
    >>

    >True and false. Some epsons do - but I doubt that the R310 does.

    25 Years, far better than most Canons

    Tony, Jul 27, 2005
  18. Nova

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> > Thank's for that absolutely useless input.

    >> Most printers these days are designed to be thrown away when the ink
    >> runs out. Just buy a new printer. If it lasts you a year then it
    >> is only costing $5 per week. And the cost can be instantly written
    >> off against your income so it works out even cheaper.
    >>
    >> But if you insist on replacing the ink instead of buying a new
    >> printer then use the manufacturers ink because the other stuff
    >> will probably cause you more grief than it is worth.
    >>

    > You're a troll, an Epson 310 isn't a throw away printer.

    Obviously since 6 new cartridges cost less than half the price of the
    printer, unlike what he claimed.
    Very doubtful that all 6 inks would run out all at the same time as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 27, 2005
  19. Nova

    frederick Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:25:32 +1200, frederick <> wrote:
    >

    >>Tony wrote:
    >>

    >>>Epsom's also have the longest picture life..
    >>>

    >>True and false. Some epsons do - but I doubt that the R310 does.

    > 25 Years, far better than most Canons

    I don't know - some of the Pixma range have up to about 90 year ratings
    from WIR. By comparison, a Fuji Frontier print on Crystal Archive paper
    rates at about 40 years using the same (arguable) methodology. I use an
    R1800 that IIRC has permanence ratings of about 200 years on some media.
    I'm hoping that the theoretical 200 years will give me an actual 5
    years on display in normally lit homes - which is about all I ever got
    with Cibachomes. If 200 years gives me an expectation of 5 in real
    life, then 25 just isn't long enough, except for album storage, or
    temporary display on your fridge etc.

    frederick, Jul 27, 2005
  20. Nova

    Harry Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> > Thank's for that absolutely useless input.

    >> Most printers these days are designed to be thrown away when the ink
    >> runs out. Just buy a new printer. If it lasts you a year then it
    >> is only costing $5 per week. And the cost can be instantly written
    >> off against your income so it works out even cheaper.
    >>
    >> But if you insist on replacing the ink instead of buying a new
    >> printer then use the manufacturers ink because the other stuff
    >> will probably cause you more grief than it is worth.
    >>

    > You're a troll, an Epson 310 isn't a throw away printer.

    A new one costs only $310.
    That is $6.20 per week over 1 year.

    You're the troll!

    Harry, Jul 27, 2005