    called the local Cartridge World, but they didn't seem to know anything
    about refilling these. Though a search round the Web reveals a tool is
    available to reset the counter.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 31, 2008

  2. On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:21:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > Does anybody know how long Epson continues to sell ink cartridges after
    > discontinuing a printer?
    >
    > I just recently got an R800 to replace the Stylus Color 900 that I bought
    > back in 1999. I'd been keeping the 900 going the last few years by
    > refilling old cartridges that I'd saved, since I couldn't find new ones in
    > the shops.
    >
    > Now it appears the cartridges for the R800 have a memory chip in them so
    > they can tell the printer they're empty even when they've been refilled. I
    > called the local Cartridge World, but they didn't seem to know anything
    > about refilling these. Though a search round the Web reveals a tool is
    > available to reset the counter.

    Try the newsgroup comp.periphs.printers

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 31, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:21:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >> Does anybody know how long Epson continues to sell ink cartridges
    >> after discontinuing a printer?
    >>
    >> I just recently got an R800 to replace the Stylus Color 900 that I
    >> bought back in 1999. I'd been keeping the 900 going the last few
    >> years by refilling old cartridges that I'd saved, since I couldn't
    >> find new ones in the shops.
    >>
    >> Now it appears the cartridges for the R800 have a memory chip in
    >> them so they can tell the printer they're empty even when they've
    >> been refilled. I called the local Cartridge World, but they didn't
    >> seem to know anything about refilling these. Though a search round
    >> the Web reveals a tool is available to reset the counter.

    > Try the newsgroup comp.periphs.printers

    Or try Epsom's NZ agent. It seems that some people's lives begin and end in
    the nz.xxx groups.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    > Does anybody know how long Epson continues to sell ink cartridges after
    > discontinuing a printer?
    >
    > I just recently got an R800 to replace the Stylus Color 900 that I bought
    > back in 1999. I'd been keeping the 900 going the last few years by
    > refilling old cartridges that I'd saved, since I couldn't find new ones in
    > the shops.
    >
    > Now it appears the cartridges for the R800 have a memory chip in them so
    > they can tell the printer they're empty even when they've been refilled. I
    > called the local Cartridge World, but they didn't seem to know anything
    > about refilling these. Though a search round the Web reveals a tool is
    > available to reset the counter.

    Epson tend to re-code their cartridges every so often (sometimes combining
    cartridges from various models into one), but you'll find there is often a
    "replacement" cartridge that works - it will have a new code, but list the
    printers it works with on the box. I can still find cartridges for my old
    Epson Stylus Photo 700, which which I bough in late 1998, but it is getting
    a little difficult sometimes. I got some new ones only a couple of weks ago.

    I usually try Warehouse Stationery / Warehouse, Harvey Normans or Paper
    Plus. If you can't get original Epson ones you might get a compatible one
    instead.

    Other places to try are these two online stores (or their branches if you
    live close enough):
    http://www.computerfood.co.nz
    http://www.corpcons.co.nz
    who do both list Epson and/or compatible cartridges for the R800.
    Your Name, Oct 31, 2008
  5. In message <geg33i$1i0$>, Your Name wrote:

    > Epson tend to re-code their cartridges every so often (sometimes combining
    > cartridges from various models into one), but you'll find there is often a
    > "replacement" cartridge that works - it will have a new code, but list the
    > printers it works with on the box. I can still find cartridges for my old
    > Epson Stylus Photo 700, which which I bough in late 1998, but it is
    > getting a little difficult sometimes. I got some new ones only a couple of
    > weks ago.
    >
    > I usually try Warehouse Stationery / Warehouse, Harvey Normans or Paper
    > Plus.

    Yeah, I did look in Warehouse Stationery a while back, might have been last
    year, for Stylus Color 900 cartridges. I didn't know about the recoding
    thing, I was looking for them specifically by model number (T003 and T005),
    which is probably why I didn't find any. :)

    Hell, if you can still get new cartriges for a ten-year-old printer, I don't
    think I've got much to worry about for a while yet. :)

    Thanks for the info.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-31, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Does anybody know how long Epson continues to sell ink cartridges after
    > discontinuing a printer?
    >
    > I just recently got an R800 to replace the Stylus Color 900 that I bought
    > back in 1999. I'd been keeping the 900 going the last few years by
    > refilling old cartridges that I'd saved, since I couldn't find new ones in
    > the shops.
    >
    > Now it appears the cartridges for the R800 have a memory chip in them so
    > they can tell the printer they're empty even when they've been refilled. I
    > called the local Cartridge World, but they didn't seem to know anything
    > about refilling these. Though a search round the Web reveals a tool is
    > available to reset the counter.

    2008 minus 1999, in inkjet years, geological time is nipping at your heels.

    BTW, it appears that you are advocating Epson a company which did produce
    sone very long lasting machines. Ironic
    Gordon, Nov 1, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    > 2008 minus 1999, in inkjet years, geological time is nipping at your
    heels.

    What is it in "computer years"?? I bought my G3 PowerMac at the same time as
    my Epson printer in late 1998, and both are still going strong and (almost)
    perfectly usable. :)

    > BTW, it appears that you are advocating Epson a company which did produce
    > sone very long lasting machines. Ironic

    I don't know about the original person, but my own preference has always
    been Epson for inkjets and HP for laser printers. With numerous models over
    the years at various work places, I've don't recall ever having a problem.
    :)
    Your Name, Nov 1, 2008
  8. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > BTW, it appears that you are advocating Epson a company which did produce
    > sone very long lasting machines. Ironic

    I think that's the opposite of ironic. Unless you're missing a word in
    there...?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2008
  9. In message <gegp2c$ed7$>, Your Name wrote:

    > I bought my G3 PowerMac at the same time as my Epson printer in late 1998,
    > and both are still going strong and (almost) perfectly usable. :)

    I still have a beige G3/266 from 1998, though my older Epson is from 1999.
    One's still going strong, the latter is a bit clapped out, hence the new
    purchase.

    > ... my own preference has always been Epson for inkjets and HP for laser
    > printers.

    Yes, my last employer had a lot of HP lasers, which did work well. I stuck
    with Epson for my newest printer primarily because they seem well supported
    in Linux.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2008
  10. In article <gefup0$uon$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    >> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:21:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Does anybody know how long Epson continues to sell ink cartridges
    >>> after discontinuing a printer?
    >>>
    >>> I just recently got an R800 to replace the Stylus Color 900 that I
    >>> bought back in 1999. I'd been keeping the 900 going the last few
    >>> years by refilling old cartridges that I'd saved, since I couldn't
    >>> find new ones in the shops.
    >>>
    >>> Now it appears the cartridges for the R800 have a memory chip in
    >>> them so they can tell the printer they're empty even when they've
    >>> been refilled. I called the local Cartridge World, but they didn't
    >>> seem to know anything about refilling these. Though a search round
    >>> the Web reveals a tool is available to reset the counter.

    >> Try the newsgroup comp.periphs.printers

    >Or try Epsom's NZ agent. It seems that some people's lives begin and end in
    >the nz.xxx groups.

    ... or inkpost ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 3, 2008
  11. In article <>, Gordon <> wrote:
    >On 2008-10-31, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> Does anybody know how long Epson continues to sell ink cartridges after
    >> discontinuing a printer?
    >>
    >> I just recently got an R800 to replace the Stylus Color 900 that I bought
    >> back in 1999. I'd been keeping the 900 going the last few years by
    >> refilling old cartridges that I'd saved, since I couldn't find new ones in
    >> the shops.
    >>
    >> Now it appears the cartridges for the R800 have a memory chip in them so
    >> they can tell the printer they're empty even when they've been refilled. I
    >> called the local Cartridge World, but they didn't seem to know anything
    >> about refilling these. Though a search round the Web reveals a tool is
    >> available to reset the counter.

    >2008 minus 1999, in inkjet years, geological time is nipping at your heels.
    >
    >BTW, it appears that you are advocating Epson a company which did produce
    >sone very long lasting machines. Ironic

    Well ... they did (and IME, still do) produce printers that last a long
    time. Anyone still got an MX 80 ... I bet it still works if you do. :)
    Similarly, for a long time, they were the only printer manufacturers
    interested in actually supporting Linux. Their helpful website and local
    (NZ) staff were the main reason why I have an Epson 3100.
    Do I think they are good ? Hell yes !
    My only other recent(ish) experience was with HP. I wouldn't go near them
    ever again (their version of 'customer service' was number 2 in your
    dictionary ... to do with bulls and cows :) ).

    Mileages vary, but mine has been excellent with Epson. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 3, 2008
  12. In article <gegp2c$ed7$>, "Your Name" <> wrote:
    >> 2008 minus 1999, in inkjet years, geological time is nipping at your

    >heels.
    >
    >What is it in "computer years"?? I bought my G3 PowerMac at the same time as
    >my Epson printer in late 1998, and both are still going strong and (almost)
    >perfectly usable. :)

    Hmmm ... 3 years = 1 generation ? ... so 9 years = 3 = somewhere between 60
    and 90 people years ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 3, 2008
  13. In message <gelc7r$b7b$>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > ... for a long time, they were the only printer manufacturers
    > interested in actually supporting Linux.

    And they did it the right way, too: release the specs and let others provide
    open-source drivers.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2008