    printing will look bad. Once I clean the heads I'm good for two more
    printings. What's going on here? Time for servicing or are there any
    tricks I can perform?
    damani, Dec 20, 2004

  2. I have a factory refurb that prints beautifully after about 30 prints. I
    have only used matt black ink and Velvet Fine arts paper or plain paper for
    proofing. Has yours been used considerably more? Are you using non-Epson
    products?

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 20, 2004

  3. damani

    Jerry G. Guest

    There may be a fault with the cartridges or a fault with the printer logic
    board, or a sensor for the head positioning. I work at a place where we have
    a very high end Epson printer. We have not been very happy with it over the
    long run. It has been in to Epson for service a fair number of times. I have
    a friend with an Epson colour printer, and he also has had problems with it.

    I now have an HP photo printer (DeskJet 930C) for about 3 years, and it
    seems to be very good. It is not up to the specs of the printers today. The
    only drawback with it is that the cartridges are very expensive, and the
    cost per print is high. But, it has been reliable. I use it for quick jobs.
    For the critical print jobs, I send out my work for high end printing.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Dec 20, 2004
  4. damani

    damani Guest

    I've used my printer over 500 times using only epson inks. The problem
    just started about a weeks ago.
    damani, Dec 20, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    "damani" <> wrote:

    > My Epson 2200 need its heads cleaned after every two sheets are
    > printed. It printed a sort of rainbow bar on the sheet and the next
    > printing will look bad. Once I clean the heads I'm good for two more
    > printings. What's going on here? Time for servicing or are there any
    > tricks I can perform?

    The Epson 2200 is a dud. Mine commonly clogs most of its nozzles
    between pages, or even mid-page. You might also have a problem with the
    squeegee that wipes the heads clean. If it wears out, a layer of ink
    sticks to the heads and blocks the spray. The print will fade and then
    the head smears ink all over the paper.

    Canon's new printers are looking really good.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 20, 2004
  6. damani

    Mark² Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > There may be a fault with the cartridges or a fault with the printer logic
    > board, or a sensor for the head positioning. I work at a place where we

    have
    > a very high end Epson printer. We have not been very happy with it over

    the
    > long run. It has been in to Epson for service a fair number of times. I

    have
    > a friend with an Epson colour printer, and he also has had problems with

    it.

    > I now have an HP photo printer (DeskJet 930C) for about 3 years, and it
    > seems to be very good. It is not up to the specs of the printers today.

    The
    > only drawback with it is that the cartridges are very expensive, and the
    > cost per print is high. But, it has been reliable. I use it for quick

    jobs.
    > For the critical print jobs, I send out my work for high end printing.

    What printer high end Epson printer are you referring to?
    My (not high end)1270 never had a single clog in four years(!).
    Still prints beautifully today, though I just got the Epson 4000, and don't
    use the 1270 much--except to try and use up the cache of ink I still have
    for it on less importnat stuff.

    I know others have had trouble, but in 4 years, my 1270 has NEVER been
    turned off--even when going for months at a time without a single print.
    Zero clogs...ever.

    I'm either the luckiest guy on Earth, or I'm doing something right.
    Perhaps a bit of both...

    BTW--My 4000 has been flawless as well, though I would expect this in the
    short time I've had it, along with the extensive self-monitoring it does to
    prevent clogs.

    -Mark

    Mark², Dec 20, 2004
  7. damani

    Guest

    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in message

    >> There may be a fault with the cartridges or a fault with the
    >> printer logic board, or a sensor for the head positioning. I work
    >> at a place where we have a very high end Epson printer. We have not
    >> been very happy with it over the long run. It has been in to Epson
    >> for service a fair number of times. I have a friend with an Epson
    >> colour printer, and he also has had problems with it.
    >>
    >> I now have an HP photo printer (DeskJet 930C) for about 3 years,
    >> and it seems to be very good. It is not up to the specs of the
    >> printers today. The only drawback with it is that the cartridges
    >> are very expensive, and the cost per print is high. But, it has
    >> been reliable. I use it for quick jobs.
    >> For the critical print jobs, I send out my work for high end printing.

    > What printer high end Epson printer are you referring to?

    It does sound weird, doesn't it? Servicing of high end Epson printers
    is usually done on site because they're so large.

    Andrew.
    , Dec 20, 2004
  8. damani

    Capt Nud Guest

    > If it wears out, a layer of ink
    >sticks to the heads and blocks the spray. The print will fade and then
    >the head smears ink all over the paper.

    That's the problem mine has, but for a different reason.

    Same question? How do you clean the print heads? I've tried the windex trick,
    to no avail....

    don
    Capt Nud, Dec 20, 2004
  9. Capt Nud wrote:

    >>If it wears out, a layer of ink
    >>sticks to the heads and blocks the spray. The print will fade and then
    >>the head smears ink all over the paper.
    >>

    > That's the problem mine has, but for a different reason.
    >

    > Same question? How do you clean the print heads? I've tried the windex trick,
    > to no avail....
    >
    > don

    There's more help in comp.periphs.printers.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 20, 2004
  10. damani

    Owamanga Guest

    On 20 Dec 2004 13:48:41 GMT, (Capt Nud) wrote:

    >> If it wears out, a layer of ink
    >>sticks to the heads and blocks the spray. The print will fade and then
    >>the head smears ink all over the paper.
    >>

    >That's the problem mine has, but for a different reason.
    >

    >Same question? How do you clean the print heads? I've tried the windex trick,
    >to no avail....

    Drastically increase Windex usage (use 1 fully-primed squirt) and get
    yourself a relaxing 6-pack of Grolsch or Becks (to protect the
    hardware from your boots). Drink 2 beers before you start.

    The simple way to get the head out of the way is to yank the power
    mid-print. Pump the windex on the colored pads at the right and switch
    it back on again. It won't be able to print properly for a good 20
    minutes, but if you send it print jobs with minuscule little dots
    around the page, it'll give the head a good airing to dry again.

    Also, don't trust the ink-level meter things they seem to get shagged
    from time to time. If you are getting no ink from any head of a
    particular color on the nozzle-test then you need to change the
    cartridge.

    Time for another beer.

    Now send it just light print jobs (overall, about 2% page coverage)
    with bits of text in various colors to see how it is recovering. Leave
    it some more time if it needs (if the print is watery/blurry) (you
    should also have 3 beers left), then repeat the nozzle tests.

    On success, drink any the remaining beers to celebrate.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Dec 20, 2004
  11. damani

    Capt Nud Guest

    Thank you!

    I'll stop by the store and get some Hefewizen on the way home!

    don
    Capt Nud, Dec 20, 2004
  12. damani

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > If it wears out, a layer of ink
    > >sticks to the heads and blocks the spray. The print will fade and then
    > >the head smears ink all over the paper.
    > >

    > That's the problem mine has, but for a different reason.
    >

    > Same question? How do you clean the print heads? I've tried the windex trick,
    > to no avail....
    >
    > don

    I find that 20cc of clear Ammonia in 100cc of distilled water does a better
    job than Windex (its the Ammonia in the windex that does most of the work).

    One quart (or one litre) of clear ammonia can make enough cleaning solution
    to clean thousands of clogs.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.