    trying the newer Epson printers.

    Thanks,
    JAS
    JAS, Aug 7, 2006

  2. JAS

    bmoag Guest

    The R1800 is a great printer on many different paper surfaces for color, I
    rarely print B&W. A great advantage IMHO in using Epson printers over Canon
    is that the drivers are just more reliable for color management and Epson
    canned printer profiles are reliable for their many paper surfaces. With
    Canon, unless you can generate your own paper profiles, you are stuck with
    their very limited profiles for their two paper surfaces (glossy and matte)
    and the Canon profiles are not that accurate. With a simple Moanco Optix
    system I generated paper profiles that were more reliable than the canned
    profiles Canon ships with its printers. Unfortunately head clogging is an
    issue with Epson printer but it can be minimized by following manufacturers
    instructions and making sure you print a nozzle check before any printing
    session.
    bmoag, Aug 8, 2006

  3. JAS

    EDM Guest

    "JAS" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Asking for user feedback on the Epson R1800 or R2400 inkjet printers. My
    > Canon S9000 now has banding on the photo magenta nozzle and I'm thinking of
    > trying the newer Epson printers.

    Stunning, and stunning :)

    But if you do a lot of printing I'd steer you toward non-Epson
    printers. Epson inks are ridiculously expensive (even moreso
    than other mfrs) and you don't get much in each cartridge.

    Someone a while back calculated Epson is charging in the
    neighborhood of $25,000 per gallon of ink. Wouldn't you
    love to know what their cost is on that same amount?
    EDM, Aug 8, 2006
  4. JAS

    Stewy Guest

    In article <3MQBg.5867$>,
    "EDM" <> wrote:

    > "JAS" <> wrote in message
    > > Asking for user feedback on the Epson R1800 or R2400 inkjet printers. My
    > > Canon S9000 now has banding on the photo magenta nozzle and I'm thinking of
    > > trying the newer Epson printers.

    > Stunning, and stunning :)
    >
    > But if you do a lot of printing I'd steer you toward non-Epson
    > printers. Epson inks are ridiculously expensive (even moreso
    > than other mfrs) and you don't get much in each cartridge.
    >
    > Someone a while back calculated Epson is charging in the
    > neighborhood of $25,000 per gallon of ink. Wouldn't you
    > love to know what their cost is on that same amount?

    Epson also 'chip' their carts - refusing to print when the printer deems
    a cart 'empty'. Also identical carts from Japan can't be used on US or
    UK Epson printers because Epson has to reduce the price here - UK Epson
    carts are double (or more) the Japan price.

    Ever tried removing the print-head for cleaning? Can't be done.
    Stewy, Aug 8, 2006
  5. JAS

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    "JAS" <> wrote:

    > Asking for user feedback on the Epson R1800 or R2400 inkjet printers. My
    > Canon S9000 now has banding on the photo magenta nozzle and I'm thinking of
    > trying the newer Epson printers.

    I have an R1800 and I am very happy with it, but I have only owned it
    for two months. If you tend to print black and white photos, the R2400
    would probably be a better choice for you though.
    Shawn Hirn, Aug 8, 2006
  6. JAS

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:27:25 +0900, Stewy <>
    wrote:

    >In article <3MQBg.5867$>,
    > "EDM" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "JAS" <> wrote in message
    >> > Asking for user feedback on the Epson R1800 or R2400 inkjet printers. My
    >> > Canon S9000 now has banding on the photo magenta nozzle and I'm thinking of
    >> > trying the newer Epson printers.

    >> Stunning, and stunning :)
    >>
    >> But if you do a lot of printing I'd steer you toward non-Epson
    >> printers. Epson inks are ridiculously expensive (even moreso
    >> than other mfrs) and you don't get much in each cartridge.
    >>
    >> Someone a while back calculated Epson is charging in the
    >> neighborhood of $25,000 per gallon of ink. Wouldn't you
    >> love to know what their cost is on that same amount?

    >Epson also 'chip' their carts - refusing to print when the printer deems
    >a cart 'empty'. Also identical carts from Japan can't be used on US or
    >UK Epson printers because Epson has to reduce the price here - UK Epson
    >carts are double (or more) the Japan price.

    Fairly easy and cheap to fix:
    http://fillserv.com/products/chipresetter.php?ref=ADWchip

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 8, 2006
  7. JAS

    rafe b Guest

    "JAS" <> wrote in message
    > Asking for user feedback on the Epson R1800 or R2400 inkjet printers. My
    > Canon S9000 now has banding on the photo magenta nozzle and I'm thinking
    > of trying the newer Epson printers.

    I've been using an R1800 for about a year now and am
    very happy with it. It's quiet, fast, and print quality is
    awesome. Plus, the prints are truly archival -- and
    (for the first time ever) -- these pigment inks work on
    glossy papers.

    It is *not* a cheap printer to run, but I knew that going in.

    I get carts at atlex.com for about $11 apiece; they're always
    in stock and arrive in 2-3 days.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com