    http://www.epson.co.nz/products/printer_desc.asp?printerid=39

    Thanks for your help.

    Bob

    Rob B, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Rob B

    Mark B. Guest

    "Rob B" <> wrote in message
    news:D1Vtb.7588$...
    > I have heard that the new Epson durabrite printers can print a quality
    > colour photograph on plain paper and that it would be hard to tell the
    > difference between this and a print on photographic paper. Does anyone

    have
    > any experience with this new durabright ink? Is there a great deal of
    > difference in quality between prints with DuraBrite on plain paper and
    > photographic paper? Would a printer such as the Epson Stylus C63 be as

    good
    > as the Epson StylusPhoto range? Details of the C63 can be seen here:
    >
    > http://www.epson.co.nz/products/printer_desc.asp?printerid=39
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Bob

    I print up to 8x10 on my Epson 870. Although it doesn't have the new
    Durabrite inks, on the right paper (usually Premium Luster) and with the
    right image it looks just as good as a traditional print.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 17, 2003

  3. Rob B

    Fat Boy Guest

    I purchased an Epson C80 a year ago. When printing on plain paper it
    was the best I had seen. The images were sharp with no bleeding around
    the edges. There was no trace of ink on the backside of the sheet
    either, and the sheet did not ripple either like most other inkjets
    would do. And of course the Durabrite inks did not run even when
    submerged under water. This would have been a great printer for
    creating brochures or CD/Video labels.

    As good as the quality was, photos on plain paper lack the gloss and
    feel of photos on photographic paper.

    The problems with these inks on photo paper is that they block the
    gloss of the paper from showing through. In areas with a lot of ink
    (darker areas) the photo appears flat, while in areas with little ink
    the photo appears glossy. This wasn't a good look at all. It was
    unacceptable to me so I got rid of the printer.

    Some users have suggested only printing on low gloss paper would mask
    the problem, but I prefer glossy photos.

    Rick

    Fat Boy, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Rob B

    Rob B Guest

    "Fat Boy" <> wrote in message
    > I purchased an Epson C80 a year ago. When printing on plain paper it
    > was the best I had seen. The images were sharp with no bleeding around
    > the edges. There was no trace of ink on the backside of the sheet
    > either, and the sheet did not ripple either like most other inkjets
    > would do. And of course the Durabrite inks did not run even when
    > submerged under water. This would have been a great printer for
    > creating brochures or CD/Video labels.
    >
    > As good as the quality was, photos on plain paper lack the gloss and
    > feel of photos on photographic paper.
    >
    > The problems with these inks on photo paper is that they block the
    > gloss of the paper from showing through. In areas with a lot of ink
    > (darker areas) the photo appears flat, while in areas with little ink
    > the photo appears glossy. This wasn't a good look at all. It was
    > unacceptable to me so I got rid of the printer.
    >
    > Some users have suggested only printing on low gloss paper would mask
    > the problem, but I prefer glossy photos.
    >
    > Rick

    Thanks very much Rick for this explanation. I guess that photos and
    documents printed on plain paper on the C63 using the durabrite
    inks would be better than the results you could get on plain paper
    from the more expensive photographic printers? If so, this would
    appear to be the main advantage of the C63 durabrite system.

    Bob

    Rob B, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Rob B

    NCHA Guest

    "Rob B" <> wrote in message

    >>Snip<<

    > Thanks very much Rick for this explanation. I guess that photos and
    > documents printed on plain paper on the C63 using the durabrite
    > inks would be better than the results you could get on plain paper
    > from the more expensive photographic printers? If so, this would
    > appear to be the main advantage of the C63 durabrite system.
    >
    > Bob

    The C63 is a (c84 USmodel) does great on matte paper also. The main
    advantage to the durabrite inks is the ability to withstand water

    NCHA, Nov 18, 2003