    artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.

    Any help would be appreciated

    stargr

    stargsr, Dec 10, 2006

  2. stargsr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
    > 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
    > change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
    > begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the print
    > once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce panelized
    > artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're likely
    to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important print job?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 10, 2006

  3. stargsr

    Mark² Guest

    stargsr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
    > 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
    > change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
    > begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the
    > print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce
    > panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > stargr

    Run a nozzle check to see if there is a clog. Epsons at this level are very
    good at clearing themselves via the nozzle check (See your documentation if
    you're not familiar). Before inserting the new cartridge, you should rock
    it back and forth...upside-down, etc. to be sure no settling has
    occurred--which can lead to clogs. You can also removed a
    previously-installed cartridge to do this, followed by simply re-inserting
    it into the printer.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 10, 2006
  4. stargsr

    Mark² Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > stargsr wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
    >> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently
    >> when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when
    >> the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line
    >> acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I
    >> produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.

    > Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
    > likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
    > print job?

    Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I do it
    all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing, since it
    means I can literally run my cartridges completely out, rather than wasting
    ink swapping them early. The printing simply stops...indicates which
    cartridge is empty...prompts me to replace...and the picks up right where it
    left off. Very cool. Most comsumer printers simply keep going without that
    particular ink, which of course wastes the entire print.

    This is yet another reason more folks would do well to consider the
    professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 10, 2006
  5. stargsr

    stargsr Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > stargsr wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
    > > 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
    > > change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
    > > begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the print
    > > once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce panelized
    > > artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.

    > Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're likely
    > to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important print job?
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Thanks for the reply. I tried this ; however, I still got a color
    shift in the prints.

    stargsr, Dec 10, 2006
  6. stargsr

    stargsr Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > stargsr wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
    > > 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
    > > change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
    > > begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the
    > > print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce
    > > panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated
    > >
    > > stargr

    > Run a nozzle check to see if there is a clog. Epsons at this level are very
    > good at clearing themselves via the nozzle check (See your documentation if
    > you're not familiar). Before inserting the new cartridge, you should rock
    > it back and forth...upside-down, etc. to be sure no settling has
    > occurred--which can lead to clogs. You can also removed a
    > previously-installed cartridge to do this, followed by simply re-inserting
    > it into the printer.
    >
    > --
    > Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    > www.pbase.com/markuson

    Thanks for the reply. I have tried to clean several times and I still
    get breaks in the nozzle check. Sometimes different areas.

    stargsr

    stargsr, Dec 10, 2006
  7. stargsr

    Mark² Guest

    stargsr wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> stargsr wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
    >>> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas.
    >>> Recently when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color
    >>> change when the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a
    >>> lighter line acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge
    >>> change. I produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match
    >>> panel to panel.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.

    >> Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
    >> likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
    >> print job?
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams

    > Thanks for the reply. I tried this ; however, I still got a color
    > shift in the prints.

    That really does sound like a single-color clogged head.
    Run a nozzle check.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 10, 2006
  8. stargsr

    stargsr Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    > > stargsr wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
    > >> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently
    > >> when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when
    > >> the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line
    > >> acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I
    > >> produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be appreciated.

    > > Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
    > > likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
    > > print job?

    > Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I do it
    > all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing, since it
    > means I can literally run my cartridges completely out, rather than wasting
    > ink swapping them early. The printing simply stops...indicates which
    > cartridge is empty...prompts me to replace...and the picks up right where it
    > left off. Very cool. Most comsumer printers simply keep going without that
    > particular ink, which of course wastes the entire print.
    >
    > This is yet another reason more folks would do well to consider the
    > professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).
    >
    > --
    > Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    > www.pbase.com/markuson

    Thanks for the reply. This has been the normal operation for my
    machine for several years. Now out of nowhere, I am having these
    problems when I have to change anything that has to do with a cartridge.

    stargsr, Dec 10, 2006
  9. stargsr

    Mark² Guest

    stargsr wrote:
    > Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    >> stargsr wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
    >>> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas.
    >>> Recently when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color
    >>> change when the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a
    >>> lighter line acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge
    >>> change. I produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match
    >>> panel to panel.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>> stargr

    >> Run a nozzle check to see if there is a clog. Epsons at this level
    >> are very good at clearing themselves via the nozzle check (See your
    >> documentation if you're not familiar). Before inserting the new
    >> cartridge, you should rock it back and forth...upside-down, etc. to
    >> be sure no settling has occurred--which can lead to clogs. You can
    >> also removed a previously-installed cartridge to do this, followed
    >> by simply re-inserting it into the printer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    >> www.pbase.com/markuson

    > Thanks for the reply. I have tried to clean several times and I still
    > get breaks in the nozzle check. Sometimes different areas.
    >
    > stargsr

    That identifies the problem, though. It is clogged.
    If the regular nozzle-check doesn't clear it, then you'll need to run the
    more thorough "power cleaning." The down-side is that it uses a significant
    amount of ink...but it's likely what you need to do.
    One more suggestion: Pull the cartridge that is showing signs of blockage,
    and rock it back and forth...and reinsert. Then run a "power-cleaning."

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 10, 2006
  10. stargsr

    frederick Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> stargsr wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
    >>> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently
    >>> when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when
    >>> the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line
    >>> acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I
    >>> produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.

    >> Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
    >> likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
    >> print job?

    > Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I do it
    > all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing, since it
    > means I can literally run my cartridges completely out, rather than wasting
    > ink swapping them early. The printing simply stops...indicates which
    > cartridge is empty...prompts me to replace...and the picks up right where it
    > left off. Very cool. Most comsumer printers simply keep going without that
    > particular ink, which of course wastes the entire print.
    >
    > This is yet another reason more folks would do well to consider the
    > professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).

    Smaller epsons do the same - you can change cartridges in the middle of
    a print job.
    Folks should forget the larger printers like the 4800 unless they work
    out that volume of printing that they would do will use the large
    cartridges within a reasonable time. Epson recommend that they are used
    within 6 months - that's probably conservative. Even so, unless you're
    planning on printing perhaps 1,000 a4 prints or equivalent or so PA,
    then the smaller printers are probably the way to go.
    What sucks big time is that Japanese Epson customers can buy OEM Epson
    ink cartridges for their desktop printers at about the same cost per ml
    as US customers pay for ink for their "pro" machines. For customers in
    Europe, the situation is even worse.

    frederick, Dec 10, 2006
  11. stargsr

    Mark² Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:

    >>> Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
    >>> likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
    >>> print job?

    >> Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I
    >> do it all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing,
    >> since it means I can literally run my cartridges completely out,
    >> rather than wasting ink swapping them early. The printing simply
    >> stops...indicates which cartridge is empty...prompts me to
    >> replace...and the picks up right where it left off. Very cool. Most
    >> comsumer printers simply keep going without that particular
    >> ink, which of course wastes the entire print. This is yet another reason
    >> more folks would do well to consider the
    >> professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).
    >>

    > Smaller epsons do the same - you can change cartridges in the middle
    > of a print job.
    > Folks should forget the larger printers like the 4800 unless they work
    > out that volume of printing that they would do will use the large
    > cartridges within a reasonable time. Epson recommend that they are
    > used within 6 months - that's probably conservative. Even so, unless
    > you're planning on printing perhaps 1,000 a4 prints or equivalent or
    > so PA, then the smaller printers are probably the way to go.

    I don't see it quite that way...at least not that strongly.
    While the 4800 seems expensive, the fact is, it comes with about 6-800
    dollars worth of ink volume if you do the math per ml. of ink compared with
    the quanity/price of the same ink carts used for the consumer line. This
    brings the seemingly-high initial hardware cost into better balance. Add to
    that the night-and-day JUMP in build quality (truly industrial), and it
    becomes a worthy investment. I often print scads of small prints using
    primarily the built-in roll paper facility on my 4000, so it isn't only for
    large prints. I print everything on it from 4x6 to 17x48+.

    > What sucks big time is that Japanese Epson customers can buy OEM Epson
    > ink cartridges for their desktop printers at about the same cost per
    > ml as US customers pay for ink for their "pro" machines. For
    > customers in Europe, the situation is even worse.

    Sadly true. So to me...for US/European customers, it makes even more sense
    to look at the pro line.
    For what it's worth...I've had some periods of low-quanitiy printing, and
    haven't run into any serious clogging trouble in two years with the 4000.

    Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 10, 2006
  12. On 10 Dec 2006 12:00:06 -0800, "stargsr"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
    >9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
    >change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
    >begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the print
    >once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce panelized
    >artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated
    >
    >stargr

    You need to join the EpsonWideFormat group on Yahoo
    and ask the question there. You won't find a better forum
    on the subject anywhere.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Dec 10, 2006
  13. stargsr

    frederick Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:

    >>> Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I
    >>> do it all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing,
    >>> since it means I can literally run my cartridges completely out,
    >>> rather than wasting ink swapping them early. The printing simply
    >>> stops...indicates which cartridge is empty...prompts me to
    >>> replace...and the picks up right where it left off. Very cool. Most
    >>> comsumer printers simply keep going without that particular
    >>> ink, which of course wastes the entire print. This is yet another reason
    >>> more folks would do well to consider the
    >>> professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).
    >>>

    >> Smaller epsons do the same - you can change cartridges in the middle
    >> of a print job.
    >> Folks should forget the larger printers like the 4800 unless they work
    >> out that volume of printing that they would do will use the large
    >> cartridges within a reasonable time. Epson recommend that they are
    >> used within 6 months - that's probably conservative. Even so, unless
    >> you're planning on printing perhaps 1,000 a4 prints or equivalent or
    >> so PA, then the smaller printers are probably the way to go.

    > I don't see it quite that way...at least not that strongly.
    > While the 4800 seems expensive, the fact is, it comes with about 6-800
    > dollars worth of ink volume if you do the math per ml. of ink compared with
    > the quanity/price of the same ink carts used for the consumer line. This
    > brings the seemingly-high initial hardware cost into better balance. Add to
    > that the night-and-day JUMP in build quality (truly industrial), and it
    > becomes a worthy investment. I often print scads of small prints using
    > primarily the built-in roll paper facility on my 4000, so it isn't only for
    > large prints. I print everything on it from 4x6 to 17x48+.
    >
    >> What sucks big time is that Japanese Epson customers can buy OEM Epson
    >> ink cartridges for their desktop printers at about the same cost per
    >> ml as US customers pay for ink for their "pro" machines. For
    >> customers in Europe, the situation is even worse.

    > Sadly true. So to me...for US/European customers, it makes even more sense
    > to look at the pro line.
    > For what it's worth...I've had some periods of low-quanitiy printing, and
    > haven't run into any serious clogging trouble in two years with the 4000.
    >
    > Mark²

    The new 17" 3800 is probably a reasonable "bridge" between the amateur /
    low volume professional and production machines like the 4800. Cost of
    printer supplied with 9 x 80ml cartridges is about the same as an a3+
    R2400 plus an equivalent amount of ink (about $500 worth based on US
    prices). AFAIK it also handles smaller prints, incl. full bleed, but
    lacks roll paper support.
    I print on roll paper sometimes - and it is a pain in the &^%^&$% to
    uncurl (Epson Premium SG is what I normally use).

    Looks like HP is about to give Epson an overdue hurry-up on wide format
    pigment printers with the Z2100 and Z3100 machines. All we need now is
    for Canon to figure out that thermal-head printers need self calibration
    to maintain accurate colour, and then perhaps three players in the same
    market may finally result in some price competition.

    frederick, Dec 10, 2006
  14. Thanks for the reply. I have tried to clean several times and I still
    get breaks in the nozzle check. Sometimes different areas.

    With any breaks in the test pattern, it is senseless to attempt printing
    when quality is important.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 10, 2006
  15. Hi Mark,

    > For what it's worth...I've had some periods of low-quanitiy printing, and
    > haven't run into any serious clogging trouble in two years with the 4000.

    Don't know if the 2200 qualifies as pro line, but a client of mine who is
    also into photography gave me his older 2200 recently. About a year ago he
    switched to the 1800 so the 2200 has been sitting unused for about a year.
    I downloaded drivers from Epson, installed everything, fired it up, cleaned
    the heads 3 times and it was back in business! I've heard a lot about
    clogging in Epson printers, but I have not experienced it. I don't consider
    running a head cleaing 3 times after a year sitting on a shelf unreasonable
    and quite franly expected more troubles with it. Obvisouly I'm a happy
    camper;)

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 10, 2006
  16. stargsr

    Mark² Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> frederick wrote:

    >>> Smaller epsons do the same - you can change cartridges in the middle
    >>> of a print job.
    >>> Folks should forget the larger printers like the 4800 unless they
    >>> work out that volume of printing that they would do will use the
    >>> large cartridges within a reasonable time. Epson recommend that
    >>> they are used within 6 months - that's probably conservative. Even
    >>> so, unless you're planning on printing perhaps 1,000 a4 prints or
    >>> equivalent or so PA, then the smaller printers are probably the way
    >>> to go.

    >> I don't see it quite that way...at least not that strongly.
    >> While the 4800 seems expensive, the fact is, it comes with about
    >> 6-800 dollars worth of ink volume if you do the math per ml. of ink
    >> compared with the quanity/price of the same ink carts used for the
    >> consumer line. This brings the seemingly-high initial hardware cost
    >> into better balance. Add to that the night-and-day JUMP in build
    >> quality (truly industrial), and it becomes a worthy investment. I
    >> often print scads of small prints using primarily the built-in roll
    >> paper facility on my 4000, so it isn't only for large prints. I
    >> print everything on it from 4x6 to 17x48+.
    >>> What sucks big time is that Japanese Epson customers can buy OEM
    >>> Epson ink cartridges for their desktop printers at about the same
    >>> cost per ml as US customers pay for ink for their "pro" machines. For
    >>> customers in Europe, the situation is even worse.

    >> Sadly true. So to me...for US/European customers, it makes even
    >> more sense to look at the pro line.
    >> For what it's worth...I've had some periods of low-quanitiy
    >> printing, and haven't run into any serious clogging trouble in two
    >> years with the 4000. Mark²
    >>

    > The new 17" 3800 is probably a reasonable "bridge" between the
    > amateur / low volume professional and production machines like the
    > 4800. Cost of printer supplied with 9 x 80ml cartridges is about the
    > same as an a3+ R2400 plus an equivalent amount of ink (about $500
    > worth based on US prices). AFAIK it also handles smaller prints,
    > incl. full bleed, but lacks roll paper support.
    > I print on roll paper sometimes - and it is a pain in the &^%^&$% to
    > uncurl (Epson Premium SG is what I normally use).

    It helps a lot if you buy paper on a large core (larger diameter spool).
    The 4000/4800 comes with roll adapters for both.

    I use ICI Satin, which I find extremely similar to Epson Premium Luster, but
    actually better--so long as you have the correct profile for that paper.

    > Looks like HP is about to give Epson an overdue hurry-up on wide
    > format pigment printers with the Z2100 and Z3100 machines. All we
    > need now is for Canon to figure out that thermal-head printers need
    > self calibration to maintain accurate colour, and then perhaps three
    > players in the same market may finally result in some price
    > competition.

    I'm always happy to see competition... Epson has had a lock on wide format
    for too long. I'd love to see HP and Canon put some pressure on them.k

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 10, 2006
  17. Mark² wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:

    >>> I don't see it quite that way...at least not that strongly.
    >>> While the 4800 seems expensive, the fact is, it comes with about
    >>> 6-800 dollars worth of ink volume if you do the math per ml. of ink
    >>> compared with the quanity/price of the same ink carts used for the
    >>> consumer line. This brings the seemingly-high initial hardware cost
    >>> into better balance. Add to that the night-and-day JUMP in build
    >>> quality (truly industrial), and it becomes a worthy investment. I
    >>> often print scads of small prints using primarily the built-in roll
    >>> paper facility on my 4000, so it isn't only for large prints. I
    >>> print everything on it from 4x6 to 17x48+.
    >>> Sadly true. So to me...for US/European customers, it makes even
    >>> more sense to look at the pro line.
    >>> For what it's worth...I've had some periods of low-quanitiy
    >>> printing, and haven't run into any serious clogging trouble in two
    >>> years with the 4000. Mark²
    >>>

    >> The new 17" 3800 is probably a reasonable "bridge" between the
    >> amateur / low volume professional and production machines like the
    >> 4800. Cost of printer supplied with 9 x 80ml cartridges is about the
    >> same as an a3+ R2400 plus an equivalent amount of ink (about $500
    >> worth based on US prices). AFAIK it also handles smaller prints,
    >> incl. full bleed, but lacks roll paper support.
    >> I print on roll paper sometimes - and it is a pain in the &^%^&$% to
    >> uncurl (Epson Premium SG is what I normally use).

    I just reverse roll a handful of prints and stick them inside a
    cardboard tube for a day or two.

    > It helps a lot if you buy paper on a large core (larger diameter spool).
    > The 4000/4800 comes with roll adapters for both.
    >
    > I use ICI Satin, which I find extremely similar to Epson Premium Luster, but
    > actually better--so long as you have the correct profile for that paper.
    >
    >> Looks like HP is about to give Epson an overdue hurry-up on wide
    >> format pigment printers with the Z2100 and Z3100 machines. All we
    >> need now is for Canon to figure out that thermal-head printers need
    >> self calibration to maintain accurate colour, and then perhaps three
    >> players in the same market may finally result in some price
    >> competition.

    > I'm always happy to see competition... Epson has had a lock on wide format
    > for too long. I'd love to see HP and Canon put some pressure on them.k

    Amen. Especially if they write decent drivers for the Mac.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 11, 2006
  18. stargsr

    Andrew Haley Guest

    stargsr <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. This has been the normal operation for my
    > machine for several years. Now out of nowhere, I am having these
    > problems when I have to change anything that has to do with a
    > cartridge.

    You need to make a service call.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Haley, Dec 11, 2006
  19. stargsr

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, Arnor Baldvinsson <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    >> For what it's worth...I've had some periods of low-quanitiy printing, and
    >> haven't run into any serious clogging trouble in two years with the 4000.

    > Don't know if the 2200 qualifies as pro line, but a client of mine who is
    > also into photography gave me his older 2200 recently. About a year ago he
    > switched to the 1800 so the 2200 has been sitting unused for about a year.
    > I downloaded drivers from Epson, installed everything, fired it up, cleaned
    > the heads 3 times and it was back in business! I've heard a lot about
    > clogging in Epson printers, but I have not experienced it. I don't consider
    > running a head cleaing 3 times after a year sitting on a shelf unreasonable
    > and quite franly expected more troubles with it. Obvisouly I'm a happy
    > camper;)

    I've been using the 2200 for more than a year to print archival
    photographic prints for my clients (I do restoration, chiefly), and I
    couldn't be happier with its performance. Sure, it's slow, and
    sometimes the nozzles do get clogged and I have to run the head
    cleaning several times, but the color and quality are exceptional.

    The 2200 uses the six-ink "UltraChrome" system, though I have heard
    some of the buzz about their new eight-ink system. Anyone have any
    insights into the performance thereof? My biggest gripe with
    UltraChrome is one shared by many inkjet users; metamerism. For those
    unfamiliar with the term, it's the way the color of the inks can shift
    under different lighting conditions. Also, areas of solid black are
    matted even on glossy paper.

    Despite those two known limitations, none of my customers have ever
    complained. But me, I'm a lot more particular.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com

    Aaron, Dec 11, 2006
  20. stargsr

    tomm42 Guest

    On Dec 10, 3:00 pm, "stargsr" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
    > 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
    > change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
    > begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the print
    > once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce panelized
    > artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > stargr

    Have you done a high level cleaning? It is in the service section that
    you may need the yahoo Epson WF group to get you to your service menu.
    If taht doesn't work the other thing is that you may have a paper feed
    problem. The last is a calibration issue and you do need a service tech
    for that. Just another thought, have you upgraded the Colorbyte rip
    recently, have you discussed this with Colorbyte? Maybe worth the call.
    When I was doing LF printing keeping in touch with my RIP manufacturer
    and a service contract on my Epson dealer kept my machine running
    flawlessly.

    Tom

    tomm42, Dec 11, 2006