    rather than waste the $50. 820 does create b&w when it was
    used regularly. Would probably go to the new HP7660 with
    the #59 b&w ink cartridge, so $200+.
    John, Nov 5, 2003

  2. John

    Argon3 Guest

    Congratulations...this is the same problem that I find myself faced with
    (several times). I always try to explain it to my wife ("You bought ANOTHER
    printer?). There are cleaning cartridges available (try inkjetmall) which are
    designed to flush your system before using a third party ink but I would expect
    that they would work just to clear your printer for use with new Epson
    cartridges. The cleaning cartridges cost something like $30-$40, though...back
    where we started...is a new printer more cost effective?
    I do have a forty year old Simmon Omega enlarger down in my basement...still
    works. The transition to digital DOES have a cost downside despite what its
    boosters say. These pictures are not "free" after you purchase the camera and
    the printer!

    argon
    Argon3, Nov 5, 2003

  3. John

    CSM1 Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > My epson 820 has sat unused for about 3 months. New ink cartridges
    > will cost me about $50. Are the odds that I won't be able to
    > unclog the head/nozzles and should just buy a new printer
    > rather than waste the $50. 820 does create b&w when it was
    > used regularly. Would probably go to the new HP7660 with
    > the #59 b&w ink cartridge, so $200+.

    I vote. Toss.

    I own a Epson Stylus Photo 820 and it is the worst inkjet printer I have
    ever owned.

    Take a look at the Canon line of printers.
    http://www.canon.com/index.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Nov 5, 2003
  4. John

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 05 Nov 2003 18:33:16 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (Argon3)
    wrote:

    >Congratulations...this is the same problem that I find myself faced with
    >(several times). I always try to explain it to my wife ("You bought ANOTHER
    >printer?). There are cleaning cartridges available (try inkjetmall) which are
    >designed to flush your system before using a third party ink but I would expect
    >that they would work just to clear your printer for use with new Epson
    >cartridges. The cleaning cartridges cost something like $30-$40, though...back
    >where we started...is a new printer more cost effective?

    If the print capping mechanism is like the one on my 1270, try moving the
    head t the left as if you were going to change a cartridge and put a couple
    drops on Windex in the foam pad, repark the head and turn the printer off.
    Let sit a couple hours or overnight and then try a nozzle check. may need
    to repeat more than once.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Nov 5, 2003
  5. << should I just buy a new printer >>

    I use the Epson 820 printer and find it amazing. Comes bundled free with some
    new computers.

    It's a six color printer with 4 picoliter droplets. Works well for me. If you
    use it frequently enough - you might not have as much clogging.

    I also have a Hi-Ti dye sub printer which does very nice 4" x 6" coated prints.
    This is great to pass out quick prints to friends.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon
    Conrad Weiler, Nov 6, 2003
  6. John

    Harry Da Hat Guest

    I bought an 820 off the shelf that wouldn't charge the color cart. It was a
    2 week old demo model. Tech support told me to try another cart. They also
    said it was out of warranty. I returned it. Went elsewhere. Picked up an
    HP 7660. Better printer.
    Harry Da Hat, Nov 7, 2003
  7. John

    K9660R Guest

    << From: --My epson 820 has sat unused for about 3
    months. New ink cartridges
    will cost me about $50. Are the odds that I won't be able to
    unclog the head/nozzles and should just buy a new printer
    rather than waste the $50. 820 does create b&w when it was
    used regularly. Would probably go to the new HP7660 with >><BR><BR>

    I am currently faced with the same problem. I print mainly grayscale images and
    the 820 does an incredible job. I tried a Canon i950 a while back and returned
    it. My grayscales were too greenish. Anyway, my Epson 820 photos are starting
    to band a bit. I've cleaned the heads with the built-in cleaner and it doesn't
    seem to be improving. I usually use this printer at least once a day but if it
    sits several days, watch out!

    I've been hearing good things about the newer HP Photosmart 7660's. I need to
    check them out and see what all the fuss is about.

    Ken
    K9660R, Nov 12, 2003