    nobody Guest

    Which paper gives the best results with the Epson 7600? (for landscapes,
    scenery, buildings and the like).
    nobody, Apr 23, 2005

  2. nobody wrote:
    > Which paper gives the best results with the Epson 7600? (for
    > landscapes, scenery, buildings and the like).

    I like a nice matt finish depending on where they will be displayed.

    There are many good papers. It is almost like asking what fruit gives
    the best results with corn flakes. I like bannas.

    I suggest you srart with Epson ink and paper until you know which one of
    those works best for YOU. After that I suggest you may want to consider
    trying different combinations of non-Epson if you like. Be forewarned that
    the life expectancy of non-Epson products may be iffy.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 23, 2005

  3. nobody

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Which paper gives the best results with the Epson 7600?

    There is of course no universal answer for this because tastes vary and
    different scenes seem to go better with different papers.

    That said, for portraits and such we use Premium Luster (on a 4000 but
    with the same ink set). You might also try the PGPP and Premium
    Semi-gloss but the PGPP shows the bronzing effect more than the others.
    Luster seems to be a good compromise.

    For fine art prints our favorite paper is Velvet-Fine Art, which
    combines a pleasing slightly rough texture with high whiteness and wide
    gamut. Unfortunately it isn't available in larger sizes, the biggest
    is just 13x19".

    For larger fine art prints we prefer Arches Infinity Smooth (with the
    Epson Fine Art Smooth ICC profile since the Arches 4000 profile is
    off), or Hahnemuehle Photo Rag (316 gsm). Epson is positioning their
    Ultrasmooth Fine Art as their main fine art paper (has a matte finish)
    but supplies are still a bit limited after 2 years and it doesn't have
    optical brighteners so it's a bit more yellow than the others
    mentioned. You might also try the Epson Smooth and Textured Fine Art
    papers (I didn't because they don't come in sheets in the sizes I
    prefer).

    For proofing we keep a 50 ft roll of Enhanced Matte in the 4000 most of
    the time, it's relatively cheap compared to the fancy fine art papers
    (about 1/6 th as much to print a 16x20" proof compared to Arches or
    Ultrasmooth, for example) and gives excellent results. For all these
    matte and fine art papers you should be using the Matte black inks ...
    you can use the Photo black inks on these but the blacks aren't as
    deep. You can't use the Matte black inks on the glossy papers though.

    Really you should buy sample packs of the different papers and print
    something like Atkinson's test file or similar and compare
    side-by-side. That's what I did and it was a very useful exercise.

    You should also get Atkinson's ICC profiles for the 7600 for the Epson
    papers, they are much better than the ones Epson provided.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Apr 23, 2005
  4. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thank you again Bill. In the end I am likely to go for the 7600 for a
    variety of reasons, and this despite the fact that I don't really have room
    for it. One of the reasons is that, believe it or not, in this "little
    village" called London (16 million inhabitants for Greater London, ie.
    including suburbs) I could not find anybody to print commercially larger
    than A3+. I have a Gretag Macbeth eye-one profiler (now being repaired),
    hopefully I should be able to rely on my own profiles, shouldn't I?
    Nobody

    On 23/4/05 10:16 pm, in article
    , "Bill Hilton"

    nobody, Apr 23, 2005
  5. nobody

    Douglas Guest

    Being close to France as you are...
    Canson make some nice paper. I use their Semi gloss (which is not all that
    much different from Gloss) for general purpose work. It is both affordable
    and relatively long lasting and lends itself to laminating and block
    mounting. If you need some custom profiles I have a few for Epsons.

    About 70% the cost of Epson paper in Australia. Their Arcival matte is
    pretty good stuff too. but at the end of the day you need to spend a few
    bucks on samples and decide for yourself.

    Douglas
    Douglas, Apr 23, 2005
  6. nobody

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > in this "little village" called London (16 million inhabitants for
    Greater
    >London, ie. including suburbs) I could not find anybody to print
    >commercially larger than A3+.

    Interesting ... a Google entry of "lightjet london" gives the following
    links with info on Lightjets in London (sounds like a Warren Zevon
    song) ...
    http://london.photobloggers.org/blog/_archives/2005/2/15/325806.html
    http://www.warrens.co.uk/new_large_format2.htm
    http://www.spectrumphoto.co.uk/about_lightjet.html
    http://www.professionalphotographer.co.uk/labs.cfm (one LJ listed)
    Bill Hilton, Apr 24, 2005
  7. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thanks.
    Nobody

    nobody, Apr 24, 2005
  8. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thanks Bill, I shall check each of one them, and see if I have to take my
    words back... Still, few or them are likely to be open between 1.30am and
    3.30am, when I often do my printing... :)
    Nobody (the real one, there seems to be somebody else with the same name!)

    On 24/4/05 4:01 am, in article
    , "Bill Hilton"

    nobody, Apr 24, 2005
  9. nobody

    Guest

    Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    > nobody wrote:
    >> Which paper gives the best results with the Epson 7600? (for
    >> landscapes, scenery, buildings and the like).

    > I like a nice matt finish depending on where they will be displayed.

    > There are many good papers. It is almost like asking what fruit gives
    > the best results with corn flakes. I like bannas.

    That's right. One very good although expensive option is Epson
    semimatte photo paper (280 gsm).

    Andrew.
    , Apr 25, 2005