    would there be any benefit to scanning at 4800 dpi then downsizing, or would
    scanning at 2400 dpi be preferable.?

    thanks....M
    MTBike1970, Nov 22, 2005

  2. MTBike1970

    Jim Guest

    "MTBike1970" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I have just started to scan some 120 format slides with my new Epson 4990
    > and have a few questions....
    > 1. a silly newbie scanner question...does it matter if the transparency is
    > placed emulsion side down or up? I assume the sensor is in the body of
    > the
    > scanner, not the lid, so emulsion side down seems logical... ??
    > 2. the scans can be set for 24 or 48 bit depth... the files are twice the
    > size with 48 bit, but with the few I've scanned, I can't see much
    > difference. Is there any real world benefit to using 48bit mode? I can't
    > do much editing in PS 5.5 unles I convert them down to 8bit/channel
    > anyway.

    Then you should just scan at 8 bits per channel.
    > 3. the files at 4800 dpi are huge. If I'm going to print 8x10 or 11x14,
    > would there be any benefit to scanning at 4800 dpi then downsizing, or
    > would
    > scanning at 2400 dpi be preferable.?

    The end result is an 11x14 print. That means you need an image which is
    11x240 along the short side and 14x240 on the long side. You can do the
    math to determine the dpi that you need to scan 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 images which
    would generate an image with those pixel counts. 240 is not a hard and fast
    rule, it is just a guideline.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 22, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    "MTBike1970" <> wrote:

    > Hi all:
    >
    > I have just started to scan some 120 format slides with my new Epson 4990
    > and have a few questions....
    > 1. a silly newbie scanner question...does it matter if the transparency is
    > placed emulsion side down or up? I assume the sensor is in the body of the
    > scanner, not the lid, so emulsion side down seems logical... ??
    > 2. the scans can be set for 24 or 48 bit depth... the files are twice the
    > size with 48 bit, but with the few I've scanned, I can't see much
    > difference. Is there any real world benefit to using 48bit mode? I can't
    > do much editing in PS 5.5 unles I convert them down to 8bit/channel anyway.
    > 3. the files at 4800 dpi are huge. If I'm going to print 8x10 or 11x14,
    > would there be any benefit to scanning at 4800 dpi then downsizing, or would
    > scanning at 2400 dpi be preferable.?
    >
    > thanks....M

    We all started somewhere :) & some are still learning ;-)

    1) I found with the 2450 model that reversed so that the curve convex to
    the scanner glass prevents newton rings, that means you need to reverse
    the image in the end to be right side up. The 4990 I believe has
    grippers to flatten the transparency-negative in the holder, so perhaps
    you can scan from either side.

    2) 48 gives one more adjustment range in curves etc ....(supposed to)
    personally I think 48 bit scans are cleaner at the onset in terms of
    accurate color, at least it seems that way for my 2450.

    3) By experience I would say scanning at the upper file resolution
    in 48 bit mode is not going to give you a better scan than say 1/2 the
    resolution, you can always double your output size if you need more real
    estate to make bigger prints. Depending upon the device you are
    outputting to you can resample the original scan and save it as a new
    file to meet your needs.

    For lab prints you might typically need an 80 mb file at 16x20
    so bigger prints might need bigger files and a 8x10 might require
    a file 1/4 that size, but it depends on the output device.
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
    Gregory Blank, Nov 23, 2005