  1. Little  Red

    Little Red Guest

    Do scanners such as the Epson 4490 work with XP 64?
    Little Red, Jul 8, 2006

  2. Colin Barnhorst, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Little  Red

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Is this where we call him lazy because he didn't even bother to check the
    Epson site before posting?

    I've become cynical these days. I know...I'm trying to deal with it.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jul 8, 2006
  4. May not be a 'him.' I guess its OK to comment on research skills if one is
    giving the answer anyway. I don't know. Some days yes, some days no.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 8, 2006
  5. Little  Red

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Well, let's retrace the events...

    OP says to him/herself, "gee, I wonder if my scanner has drivers for that
    thar fancy x64 oporating sistam. I wunder how I would find out?

    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

    What's the name of that scannor? Epsoon, Sapsoon...Samsonite. Man, I was
    way off! I think I'll post on the news grupe since I'm sure the Samsonite
    scanner doesn't have drivers on their website."

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Little  Red

    Little Red Guest

    No, I did not check because I don't yet have the scanner, but now that I
    know that this particular scanner has 64 bit drivers, I'll buy it. Thank you
    very mych for the link :) Have a great day!

    Little Red, Jul 8, 2006
  7. Little  Red

    Little Red Guest

    Sorry. Some of us are not as savy as you.

    Little Red, Jul 8, 2006
  8. Little  Red

    John Boy Guest

    Maybe not, but the best place to check first for
    drivers and such is the manufacturers site
    and/or their tech support. You get your answers
    faster, usually, and you get the most current
    information straight from the horse's mouth, not
    from the other end.

    John Boy, Jul 8, 2006
  9. Little  Red

    John Boy Guest

    P.S.

    If you're not "savvy" then why are you messing
    with Win x64?

    John Boy, Jul 8, 2006
  10. You're welcome.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 8, 2006
  11. Little  Red

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Yeah, sorry. I'm cynical from all the crap posts on the Vista NGs. I
    could've been nicer.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jul 8, 2006
  12. Red - Be careful here if you haven't already purchased the scanner... I
    bought an upper-end Epson scanner a couple years ago and I have emailed them
    for a year now requesting updated XP Pro 64 bit drivers for my Epson
    Perfection 3600 Photo scanner... This was a $395 scanner that I very much
    need in my business and which I still have to dual-boot into XP Pro 32 every
    time I want to scan with my Epson... Look at their web site before you buy
    to make sure your 64 bit drivers are there... HP, Canon, Creative Labs, and
    many others have done a great job at providing 64 bit drivers for their
    clients... This is the very last Epson product I'll ever purchase again...
    All my other hardware drivers have worked fine with XP Pro 64...

    =?Utf-8?B?V29ya2luZyBGaW5l?=, Jul 9, 2006
  13. Look at my first response. Try following the thread before jumping in.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 9, 2006
  14. I guess I should have read the rest of the replies as I would have seen that
    Red got his answer before he bought a problem device...

    I have to share that working day in and day out on clients Servers and Pc's,
    I deal with so many who can't even begin to spell PC, but I love to teach as
    well as learn, and I'm still learning this stuff everyday...

    I have clients who are Attorneys who make $600k per year and yet I have to
    teach them every two weeks how to send and receive their email, let alone add
    or save attachments... I have Doctors that are pretty much the same way and
    yet they can do brain surgery or open your heart for a valve job... ha.

    I also have so many kids 7 to 17 years old that are unbelievable trouble
    shooters many of which have no problem swapping Mobo's, adding Ram, Flashing
    Bios, create and maintain their own Web Pages... I have 92 year olds who are
    sharp as a tack and totally proficient in QuickBooks, Excel, etc...

    We all had to learn it at some point... I got my introduction to UNIX and
    DOS way back in 86 from AT&T\Bell Labs, as a Fiber Optic engineer, and right
    before I retired we were encoding and decoding multiplexed audio to digital
    voice communications over plastic or glass fibers at speeds in excess of 10GB
    per second... It still amazes me that a tiny Gallium arsenide lasers the
    size of a spec of pepper, can turn light on and off at 10 billion times per
    second...

    It's easy for all of us to get cynical at times and I have to confess I've
    had a few clients who I've wanted to tell, "Mam or Sir, You really should box
    up this pc and take it back to Office Depot because in all seriousness you do
    not have the minimum required level of intelligence needed to own one of
    these things"... ha

    =?Utf-8?B?V29ya2luZyBGaW5l?=, Jul 9, 2006
  15. My Perfection 3170 works perfectly with their X64 drivers. Best scanner I've
    owned...

    Dennis Gordon, Jul 9, 2006
  16. See
    http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vi...97A83A6DF9AA5D8BB35EE48826BADDE5D07D9007052F6
    for a list of Epson products with 64 bit drivers.

    My Perfection 4180 scanner works, in both Windows XP x64 and Vista x64 and
    x86 with the latest appropriate - 32 bit or 64 bit - versions of Epson Scan.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 9, 2006
  17. Little  Red

    Ed Guest

    I have an Epson perfection 3590. I emailed Epson today and
    surprisingly replied back a few hours later. This is an excerpt of
    their email:

    "The majority of current Seiko Epson Corporation drivers have been
    written
    to work on a 32 bit operating system architecture.

    You will likely experience difficulty installing the current 32 bit
    drivers
    on a 64 bit Windows operating system. We are working on posting new 64
    bit
    drivers for many of our products in the coming months, and any new
    drivers
    and / or details concerning 64 bit drivers will be posted on our
    website at
    www.epson.com once they become available.

    If you require further assistance with this particular issue, please
    ensure
    all of our previous correspondence is contained in your reply, so we
    can
    better track the history of this issue."

    So all you guys sending email to Epson have gotten their attention.
    Hopefully this won't take too long.

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 3, 2006
  18. Little  Red

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    I have the Epson 4490 photo and it has a 64 bit driver which I
    downloaded from the Epson website. It works great BTW. Unfortunately,
    the 3590 and some of the other scanners do not have 64-bit drivers.

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows&x=19&y=14

    jabloomf1230, Aug 3, 2006
  19. Little  Red

    Ed Guest

    Well, based on the email Epson sent me, I'm holding out some hope for a
    3590 64-bit scanner.

    Good thing I did not sell or get rid of my old 32-bit tower. I have it
    running side by side with the new Athlon X2 and if I need to scan or
    print, I just switch a few cables from the new tower to the old one -
    however it's a bit of a hassle and I also have to use a usb flash drive
    to transfer files between computers if I want to print something out,
    etc.

    Ed, Aug 3, 2006
  20. Little  Red

    Ed Guest

    Just an update...

    I found another thread in this group about scanners and learned about
    Vuescan.

    Ed Hamrick created the program which supports alot of 32-bit scanners:

    http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

    It took me 2 tries, but finally got his driver to work with XP64.

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2006