    Now, Bill (can you hear me?) if you were to start again, would you buy a
    4000 or a 7600?
    Nobody

    nobody, Apr 5, 2005

  2. nobody

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > would you buy a 4000 or a 7600?

    I lusted after a 7600 two years ago but ended up not buying one, for
    two reasons. First, I didn't have space for it without moving a lot of
    stuff and maybe getting rid of a desk (check the dimensions and measure
    carefully). The 4000 is pretty big too but it fits nicely in my office
    and the 7600 wouldn't. Second, I like to print on both Premium Luster
    paper for portraits etc and on fine art papers like Velvet Fine Art or
    Arches Infinity or Hahnemuhle Photo Rag for nature images and ideally
    you use different black inks for these, Photo black for the glossier
    papers and Matte black for the fine art or matte papers.

    The 4000 has both black carts installed at once and simply switches
    between them on the fly based on which paper type you're using. With
    the 7600 you have to switch between them manually and purge the ink
    lines (all of them), which costs around $100 worth of ink every time
    you swap black inks. That was the deal killer for me. I decided to
    get the 4000 and when I need to print 20x24" or larger I just send the
    file out for a LightJet print. I haven't regretted that decision.

    If you need a lot of prints larger than 16" wide and if you have plenty
    of space and if you are willing to limit your paper choices to either
    glossy or fine art/matte you'd probably be better off with the 7600.
    You can use the Photo black ink on both types of paper but don't get
    the same D-max in the blacks on the fine art papers. You can't use the
    Matte black on the glossy papers.

    Hope this helps.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Apr 5, 2005

  3. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thank you Bill, this is most helpful. I went to one big printer company,
    who sells large format printers, and had a canon 6200, HP130n3, and Epson
    7600 for demonstration and sale. Their "experts" did not say one single
    word on the issues you mention below. But they seemed very prejudiced
    against Epson, and denigrated the machine as much as they could, in favour
    of the Canon 6200 and HP130nr (but I think that they were HP agents). The
    demonstration was inconclusive: the gentlemen did not have enough time for
    me to test all my image files (about 3 or 4) and the printers were not
    properly profiled, the wrong paper had been used, the HP seemed to have one
    nozzle blocked, etc. Still, from these imperfect tests, I got the
    impression that from an image quality point of view, the Epson was still
    ahead of the other two, although the Canon was phenomenally fast, and HP had
    very good features, like easily replaceable heads, or self-profiling. But
    this is not really what is all about, to me photo image quality is what
    counts. Another company did better. The girl I talked to over the
    telephone said that 95 per cent of the photographers who buy large format
    printers from them, still purchase Epsons, despite their slowness and "drink
    problem" :). At the moment I am using a Canon i9950, which is, of course,
    an A3+ printer. The quality is fantastic, but it is a dye printer, and, what
    I would regard as a minus, no matter how much I profile the paper (with a
    Gretag Macbeth eye one), it still does better only with original Canon
    papers. I hope that the Epson is less "fussy" and would allow me to use
    other papers than their own, without loss of quality. Thanks again.
    Nobody

    On 5/4/05 5:17 am, in article
    , "Bill Hilton"

    nobody, Apr 5, 2005
  4. nobody

    Guest

    Bill Hilton <> wrote:
    >> would you buy a 4000 or a 7600?

    > I lusted after a 7600 two years ago but ended up not buying one, for
    > two reasons. First, I didn't have space for it without moving a lot of
    > stuff and maybe getting rid of a desk (check the dimensions and measure
    > carefully). The 4000 is pretty big too but it fits nicely in my office
    > and the 7600 wouldn't. Second, I like to print on both Premium Luster
    > paper for portraits etc and on fine art papers like Velvet Fine Art or
    > Arches Infinity or Hahnemuhle Photo Rag for nature images and ideally
    > you use different black inks for these, Photo black for the glossier
    > papers and Matte black for the fine art or matte papers.

    > The 4000 has both black carts installed at once and simply switches
    > between them on the fly based on which paper type you're using. With
    > the 7600 you have to switch between them manually and purge the ink
    > lines (all of them), which costs around $100 worth of ink every time
    > you swap black inks.

    http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi013/Epson9600.html
    provides instructions about how to "change from matte black to photo
    black without wasting money and ink". Also, Lyson black is now
    available for the 7600 -- it's a single black for both matt and glossy
    papers.

    Andrew.

    , Apr 5, 2005