Epson 4000 Network Card?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Gregory, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Jim Gregory

    Jim Gregory Guest

    I am seriously considering an Epson 4000 and am wondering whether to spring
    for the so called, "professional Edition", which includes a direct Ethernet
    connection.

    1. Does the 4000 comes with status monitoring software like their smaller
    printers?.or must you rely on the front panel display?
    2. Does the included built-in Ethernet card support status monitoring
    software, or does that monitoring function only work when the printer is
    directly connected to the PC.

    With my 1280 and Linksys printer server, the feedback from the printer does
    not return to the PC, a real inconvenience when getting to the end of an ink
    cartriage. This is a print server limitation, not an Epson issue as the
    monitoring software works fine when the 1280 is connected directly to the
    PC. In response to a query to Epson's tech support line, they said that
    they do not offer a 2-way print server that works with the 1280. I'm more
    inclined to believe one of you who might have hands on experience with the
    4000.

    Many thanks,
    Jim Gregory

    Jim Gregory, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Jim Gregory

    Roy Guest

    See my responses embedded below.

    "Jim Gregory" <> wrote in message
    ..

    > 1. Does the 4000 comes with status monitoring software like their
    > smaller printers?.or must you rely on the front panel display?

    Status monitoring is included and you can download the latest version from
    the Epson website. There is also more advanced utility software for other
    printer adjustments and updating firmware.

    > 2. Does the included built-in Ethernet card support status monitoring
    > software, or does that monitoring function only work when the printer is
    > directly connected to the PC.

    The status monitoring does work with the network card. I have had occasional
    problems when printing very large files (close to 1GB) due to memory
    limitations. A couple of times the status monitor did not open, but the file
    printed fine.

    Roy, Mar 15, 2005