    Comments would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    David N.

    David, Mar 16, 2007

  2. David

    tomm42 Guest

    Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 Printer

    On Mar 16, 12:20 pm, "David" <> wrote:
    > Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
    > any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
    > point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
    > sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
    > ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
    > also hold true as the their respective outputs?
    >
    > Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > David N.

    Also look at the Canon ipf5000, a very nice printer. The 3800 does
    save space, it doesn't have a rool feed and currently 17x25 inch paper
    is difficult to find.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 16, 2007

  3. David

    DeanB Guest

    On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <> wrote:
    > Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
    > any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
    > point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
    > sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
    > ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
    > also hold true as the their respective outputs?
    >
    > Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > David N.

    The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
    are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
    so don't take that as set in rock.

    DeanB, Mar 16, 2007
  4. David

    On Mar 16, 3:01 pm, "DeanB" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
    > > any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
    > > point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
    > > sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
    > > ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
    > > also hold true as the their respective outputs?

    > > Comments would be greatly appreciated.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > David N.

    > The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
    > are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
    > so don't take that as set in rock.

    the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
    individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
    Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
    hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
    replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
    setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
    The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I like
    matte and photo papers.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 16, 2007
  5. Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 Printer

    ? "tomm42" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Mar 16, 3:01 pm, "DeanB" <> wrote:
    > > On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
    > > > any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
    > > > point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
    > > > sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
    > > > ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
    > > > also hold true as the their respective outputs?

    > > > Comments would be greatly appreciated.

    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > > David N.

    > > The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
    > > are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
    > > so don't take that as set in rock.

    > the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
    > individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
    > Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
    > hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
    > replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
    > setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
    > The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I like
    > matte and photo papers.

    Also check the Canon Pixma iP 4300-I have it and is really nice.User
    changeable head, cheap ink tanks, very good quality, very small droplet
    size.Prints on cds, prints on both sides of a sheet automatically, has a
    permanent paper tray like a laser.5 ink tanks-Y,M,C black and bulk black.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Mar 16, 2007
  6. David

    J. Clarke Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    > ? "tomm42" <> ?????? ??? ??????

    >>> The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered
    >>> printers are not, they are production line. I forget where I read
    >>> this though, so don't take that as set in rock.

    >> the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
    >> individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
    >> Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
    >> hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
    >> replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
    >> setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
    >> The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I
    >> like matte and photo papers.
    >>

    > Also check the Canon Pixma iP 4300-I have it and is really nice.User
    > changeable head, cheap ink tanks, very good quality, very small
    > droplet size.Prints on cds, prints on both sides of a sheet
    > automatically, has a permanent paper tray like a laser.5 ink
    > tanks-Y,M,C black and bulk black.

    That's really in a different market from what he's looking at.

    The printers he's looking at print up to 17 inches wide using
    pigment-based ink in 8 or more colors. The Canon equivalent would be
    the Pixa iPF5000.
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Mar 17, 2007
  7. David

    Mark² Guest

    DeanB wrote:
    > On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <> wrote:
    >> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
    >> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the
    >> price point? From the literture it seems to me the print head
    >> engines, ink sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the
    >> size of the ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the
    >> 4800. Does this also hold true as the their respective outputs?
    >>
    >> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> David N.

    > The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
    > are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
    > so don't take that as set in rock.

    That's true. Luminous-Landscape.com covers that.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Mar 17, 2007
  8. David

    frederick Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > DeanB wrote:
    >> On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <> wrote:
    >>> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
    >>> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the
    >>> price point? From the literture it seems to me the print head
    >>> engines, ink sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the
    >>> size of the ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the
    >>> 4800. Does this also hold true as the their respective outputs?
    >>>
    >>> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> David N.

    >> The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
    >> are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
    >> so don't take that as set in rock.

    > That's true. Luminous-Landscape.com covers that.

    While it's true that Luminous Landscape says it, what they say isn't
    true. AFAIK there may be some truth to the assertion that the 4800 and
    up are hand assembled. But I am certain that the R800 and up
    (1800/2400/3800) are individually colormetrically calibrated.
    Replacement of either the head, main, or power supply boards require
    that the printer is recalibrated, using a Gretag MacBeth i1, and epson
    adjustment program.

    frederick, Mar 17, 2007
  9. David

    frederick Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > On Mar 16, 12:20 pm, "David" <> wrote:
    >> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
    >> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
    >> point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
    >> sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
    >> ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
    >> also hold true as the their respective outputs?
    >>
    >> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> David N.

    > Also look at the Canon ipf5000, a very nice printer. The 3800 does
    > save space, it doesn't have a rool feed and currently 17x25 inch paper
    > is difficult to find.
    >
    > Tom

    There's now information on the ipf5000 on a wiki run by John Hollenburg:
    http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/

    frederick, Mar 17, 2007
  10. David

    David Guest

    On Mar 16, 8:06�pm, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    > > ? "tomm42" <> ?????? ??? ??????

    > >> the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
    > >> individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
    > >> Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
    > >> hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
    > >> replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
    > >> setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
    > >> The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I
    > >> like matte and photo papers.

    > > Also check the Canon Pixma iP 4300-I have it and is really nice.User
    > > changeable head, cheap ink tanks, very good quality, very small
    > > droplet size.Prints on cds, prints on both sides of a sheet
    > > automatically, has a permanent paper tray like a laser.5 ink
    > > tanks-Y,M,C black and bulk black.

    > That's really in a different market from what he's looking at.
    >
    > The printers he's looking at print up to 17 inches wide using
    > pigment-based ink in 8 or more colors.  The Canon equivalent would be
    > the Pixa iPF5000.

    Yes it is but thanks for the suggestion anyway. As a very old B &W
    film and printer person, I am particularly attracted to the latest
    generation of Epson Inksets with their added depth for B & W printing.
    I don't have the digital - inkjet printing terminology down pat yet so
    please excuse my attempts to talk around my lack of technical
    fluency.

    I appreciate the *lead* to the Canon Pixa IPF5000, and I am now
    looking into that as well.

    Thanks again all.

    David N.

    David, Mar 17, 2007
  11. David

    David Guest

    Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 Printer

    > That's true.  Luminous-Landscape.com covers that.>

    Thanks very much for pointing me toward the above URL !! It's greatly
    appreciated.

    David N.

    David, Mar 17, 2007
  12. David

    On Mar 17, 3:09 am, "David" <> wrote:
    > Yes it is but thanks for the suggestion anyway. As a very old B &W
    > film and printer person, I am particularly attracted to the latest
    > generation of Epson Inksets with their added depth for B & W printing.
    > I don't have the digital - inkjet printing terminology down pat yet so
    > please excuse my attempts to talk around my lack of technical
    > fluency.

    David, since you are doing b&w you should look to the yahoo group:
    DigitalBlackandWhitethePrint as well. Lot's of discussions about all
    the Epson printers, especially the 3800 and 4800 and b&w inksets and
    workflows, both manufacturer's and third party.

    , Mar 17, 2007