Epson 3800 - URGENT

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Smith, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Urgent: I need feedback ASAP from other Epson 3800 owners.

    On Feb 19, 2008, I bought a new Epson 3800 from Samys Camera of Los Angeles.
    I set it up, made a single gorgeous 8x10 test print, and everything seemed
    fine - for a while. I left the country and didn't use the printer again for
    nearly 5 weeks. That's when the trouble started.

    I returned from my trip about 6 weeks after I bought it, tried to print
    again, and all it would print was clean white pages, not a single drop of
    ink came out. Of course, the brand new Epson inkjet cartridges were still
    in the printer for the past 6 weeks. I powered it off, rebooted my PC, made
    sure all of the techie stuff was OK (I have 30 years of hands on IT
    experience, so I know I covered those techie bases right.)

    Then all of the sudden the 3800 stopped even feeding blank pages though when
    trying to print, and started displaying a message on the LCD panel something
    like "Serious error - call Epson technical support".

    So I did, and Epson determined the printer was defective, and agreed to send
    me a NEW 3800 to replace it. I insisted on a new unit, not a refurbished
    unit - which is their standard policy if it's more than 30 days from the
    date of purchase.

    About 5 days later I received a box from Epson with 3800 Number 2 in it, and
    yes, they screwed up and sent me a refurbished unit. Back on the phone with
    Epson and they agreed to replace it again.

    Two days ago, I receive 3800 Number 3, and I check it very carefully. Yes,
    it IS a brand new printer with all of the manuals, inkjet cartridges, and
    software CD inside that come with a new printer.

    Today I hooked it up, and bingo, 3800 Number 3 fails immediately. Once
    again, it will not print ANYTHING in spite of the print heads going back and
    forth and it's SOUNDING like its printing but nothing comes out other than a
    completely blank piece of paper.

    (Before anyone suggests their might be something wrong with my PC's basic
    ability to print, I print fine all the time to a HP LaserJet sitting right
    next to the 3800.)

    So I called Epson again; they have offered to replace it a 4th time or give
    me a full refund. Samys Camera (what a WONDERFUL store to deal with!)
    offered to do the same.

    HERE'S MY QUESTION: Are these 3800s fundamentally problematic? Should I
    replace it and upgrade to a 4800? Or go back down to a 2400 which I owned
    before the 3800?

    I'd GREATLY appreciate any feedback that any experienced Epson 3800 users
    may have. Other flamers need not reply.

    TIA ----
    John Smith, Apr 18, 2008

  2. John Smith

    Alienjones Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    | Urgent: I need feedback ASAP from other Epson 3800 owners.
    |

    | On Feb 19, 2008, I bought a new Epson 3800 from Samys Camera of Los
    Angeles.
    | I set it up, made a single gorgeous 8x10 test print, and everything
    seemed
    | fine - for a while. I left the country and didn't use the printer
    again for
    | nearly 5 weeks. That's when the trouble started.

    Snipped here

    | HERE'S MY QUESTION: Are these 3800s fundamentally problematic? Should I
    | replace it and upgrade to a 4800? Or go back down to a 2400 which I
    owned
    | before the 3800?
    |
    | I'd GREATLY appreciate any feedback that any experienced Epson 3800 users
    | may have. Other flamers need not reply.
    |
    | TIA ----

    ~From your long winded explanation I would say in all honesty, You should
    take the refund. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with these
    printers. There may be issues with cable length, driver installation
    being done while the printer was connected and switched on or a plethora
    of other small but significant things you either overlooked or don't
    know about.

    Laserjets are not Inkjet printers. They use an entirely different system
    to print with. Just having one on the same machine that prints OK has
    nothing to do with your Epson.

    I don't know anything about Samys. I do know that squeaking hinges get
    oiled before silent ones. I also know that the consumer market is driven
    by price. To even be in business today, a store like Samy's would have
    to sell on price alone. This absolutely guarantees they buy boxes and
    sell boxes.

    A small firm with knowledge and the ability to fix customer's problems
    is called a "Value Added" dealer. In Australia at least, they've all
    gone broke because the buying public demanded prices as low as 5% on
    their cost, yet still expected the service they simply couldn't afford
    to deliver.

    Like I said at the start. Take the refund. If you had a 2400 on the PC
    before and it worked OK, chances are there are some Dynamic Link
    Libraries (Dll's) still in the system which are interfering with the new
    printer. It is critical to clean out this crap and follow the
    installation instructions to the letter for an Epson to install cleanly
    - - If it works OK in the first place and Really... I can see no reason
    why it shouldn't.

    - --

    from Douglas,
    If my PGP key is missing, the
    post is a forgery. Ignore it.
    Alienjones, Apr 18, 2008

  3. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Cable length isn't an issue. Brand new Belkin Gold Series USB 2.0 cable 10
    feet

    Drivers and all software were installed with the printer NOT corrected, just
    as the Epson instructions say. I said I installed everything very carefully,
    and have tons of IT experience.

    What other "small but significant things did I overlook or don't know
    about"?

    Do YOU have any actual experience using a 3800? You didn't say.

    ..

    John Smith, Apr 18, 2008
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Long winded? If I hadn't explained things thoroughly, you probably would
    have complained I left something out...

    John Smith, Apr 18, 2008
  5. In article <L3WNj.8448$>,
    "John Smith" <> wrote:

    > Urgent: I need feedback ASAP from other Epson 3800 owners.
    >

    > On Feb 19, 2008, I bought a new Epson 3800 from Samys Camera of Los Angeles.
    > I set it up, made a single gorgeous 8x10 test print, and everything seemed
    > fine - for a while. I left the country and didn't use the printer again for
    > nearly 5 weeks. That's when the trouble started.
    >
    > I returned from my trip about 6 weeks after I bought it, tried to print
    > again, and all it would print was clean white pages, not a single drop of
    > ink came out. Of course, the brand new Epson inkjet cartridges were still
    > in the printer for the past 6 weeks. I powered it off, rebooted my PC, made
    > sure all of the techie stuff was OK (I have 30 years of hands on IT
    > experience, so I know I covered those techie bases right.)
    >
    > Then all of the sudden the 3800 stopped even feeding blank pages though when
    > trying to print, and started displaying a message on the LCD panel something
    > like "Serious error - call Epson technical support".
    >
    > So I did, and Epson determined the printer was defective, and agreed to send
    > me a NEW 3800 to replace it. I insisted on a new unit, not a refurbished
    > unit - which is their standard policy if it's more than 30 days from the
    > date of purchase.
    >
    > About 5 days later I received a box from Epson with 3800 Number 2 in it, and
    > yes, they screwed up and sent me a refurbished unit. Back on the phone with
    > Epson and they agreed to replace it again.
    >
    > Two days ago, I receive 3800 Number 3, and I check it very carefully. Yes,
    > it IS a brand new printer with all of the manuals, inkjet cartridges, and
    > software CD inside that come with a new printer.
    >
    > Today I hooked it up, and bingo, 3800 Number 3 fails immediately. Once
    > again, it will not print ANYTHING in spite of the print heads going back and
    > forth and it's SOUNDING like its printing but nothing comes out other than a
    > completely blank piece of paper.
    >
    > (Before anyone suggests their might be something wrong with my PC's basic
    > ability to print, I print fine all the time to a HP LaserJet sitting right
    > next to the 3800.)
    >
    > So I called Epson again; they have offered to replace it a 4th time or give
    > me a full refund. Samys Camera (what a WONDERFUL store to deal with!)
    > offered to do the same.
    >
    > HERE'S MY QUESTION: Are these 3800s fundamentally problematic? Should I
    > replace it and upgrade to a 4800? Or go back down to a 2400 which I owned
    > before the 3800?
    >
    > I'd GREATLY appreciate any feedback that any experienced Epson 3800 users
    > may have. Other flamers need not reply.
    >
    > TIA ----

    You'll probably see the largest number of "works for me" and "never
    works for me" comments about the Epsons. There's something about their
    print mechanisms that is sensitive to environmental factors. I fall
    into the case of "never works for me" for a 2200 that I had. After a
    few months of working well enough, a film of ink kept forming over the
    print head. The printing would fade out then drops of ink would smear
    all over the paper. I'd be lucky to get a 13x19 print completed before
    it went bad.

    --
    Block Google's spam and enjoy Usenet again.
    Reply with Google and I won't hear from you.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 18, 2008
  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Sensitive, like being next to too much heat from the light coming in from a
    window? Or like being next to a draft?

    John Smith, Apr 18, 2008
  7. John Smith

    Alienjones Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    | Cable length isn't an issue. Brand new Belkin Gold Series USB 2.0
    cable 10
    | feet
    |
    | Drivers and all software were installed with the printer NOT
    corrected, just
    | as the Epson instructions say. I said I installed everything very
    carefully,
    | and have tons of IT experience.
    |
    | What other "small but significant things did I overlook or don't know
    | about"?
    |
    | Do YOU have any actual experience using a 3800? You didn't say.

    I thought it was obvious by my rant about value added dealers.

    I sell them to the graphics industry.
    I install them for photographers, mostly Wedding photographers.
    I use one in my WF print studio for B&W printing.

    I absolutely love my HP printers and given the choice, I'd give up the
    Epson's before I'd part with an HP ...but when it comes to B&W, Epson
    have it all over the rest.

    The other issues are cleaning out the last driver from your r2400. And
    here you haven't mentioned the OS you are using either. The DLLs are
    similar in both drivers and it is not out of the question that Windows
    or a monitoring program you could have installed - even an AV program
    still running during installation could be doing a silent "fix" when it
    finds an altered DLL.

    Did I mention the effects of an Anti Virus program on printer and
    software installations?

    If you have all this IT experience, get into the registry and clean it
    out of all the garbage left when you do a "remove" on the print driver.

    And here is another "insignificant" thing. Did you uninstall the r2400
    drivers and associated applications or did you just delete the printer
    from the printers folder in the control panel.

    The real issue with remote support is always a lack of information from
    the person you are trying to help. So far all I've read from you is that
    claim to be smart enough to do this by yourself. OK. If you can't, and
    this is replacement # 3... Take the refund.

    - --

    from Douglas,
    If my PGP key is missing, the
    post is a forgery. Ignore it.
    Alienjones, Apr 18, 2008
  8. John Smith

    Alienjones Guest

    Alienjones, Apr 18, 2008
  9. John Smith

    Alienjones Guest

    Alienjones, Apr 18, 2008
  10. John Smith

    Paul Furman Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > On Feb 19, 2008, I bought a new Epson 3800 from Samys Camera of Los Angeles.
    > I set it up, made a single gorgeous 8x10 test print, and everything seemed
    > fine - for a while. I left the country and didn't use the printer again for
    > nearly 5 weeks. That's when the trouble started.
    >
    > I returned from my trip about 6 weeks after I bought it, tried to print
    > again, and all it would print was clean white pages,

    You left it on? Supposedly the newer Epsons are better but the long time
    problem was the heads drying out from dis-use. I only turn on my R1800
    when I need it and have not had a problem. The sound of draining ink
    cartridges is painful when I turn it on but oh well.
    Paul Furman, Apr 18, 2008
  11. In article <DRWNj.8452$>,
    "John Smith" <> wrote:

    > Sensitive, like being next to too much heat from the light coming in from a
    > window? Or like being next to a draft?

    Unless the manual states that the printer requires climate control
    machinery, one would expect it to operate well in an average room under
    average conditions. That might include some filtered sunlight, a draft
    of clean air, a tiny bit of dust, humidity between 10 and 70 percent,
    and storage temperatures between 50F and 95F. We're talking about home
    and office equipment, not factory equipment.

    It's hard to recommend a printer brand that might not work based on
    common environmental factors that aren't stated in the printer's
    specifications. While the Epsons may generally work very well, too many
    people find that they work poorly or not at all. Other brands offer
    more predictable performance.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 18, 2008
  12. John Smith

    Tony Polson Guest

    David Kilpatrick <> wrote:

    >I use a 3800 but I'm Mac based and therefore any of the issues
    >concerning the byzantine workings of Windows install/registry/deinstall
    >issues mean little to me. My own 3800 is networked and runs off my
    >Wireless router/hub, and is therefore available to all machines on our
    >network, including PC. It appears to run perfectly. I have encountered
    >one problem with blobs of ink, Epson knew the problem and talked me
    >through a reset and head clean process which solved it. I often do not
    >print for 1-2 months and every time the first print is perfect, unlike
    >other Epsons I have owned.
    >
    >The 3800 is used by several hundred readers of Master Photographer. It's
    >probably the industry standard printer for portrait studios. The new
    >Gemini IV system from Epson is based on two 3800s. I've never heard of a
    >single case like yours, and there are no technical issues about the 3800
    >to be found in the forum for the professional group involved.

    I am relieved to hear that. Currently I use two 2400 printers, one of
    which is well worn and needs replacing. I plan to replace it with a
    3800. So thanks, David, for the vote of confidence.
    Tony Polson, Apr 18, 2008
  13. John Smith

    Roger Moss Guest

    "Tony Polson" <> wrote in message
    > David Kilpatrick <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I use a 3800 but I'm Mac based and therefore any of the issues
    >>concerning the byzantine workings of Windows install/registry/deinstall
    >>issues mean little to me. My own 3800 is networked and runs off my
    >>Wireless router/hub, and is therefore available to all machines on our
    >>network, including PC. It appears to run perfectly. I have encountered
    >>one problem with blobs of ink, Epson knew the problem and talked me
    >>through a reset and head clean process which solved it. I often do not
    >>print for 1-2 months and every time the first print is perfect, unlike
    >>other Epsons I have owned.
    >>
    >>The 3800 is used by several hundred readers of Master Photographer. It's
    >>probably the industry standard printer for portrait studios. The new
    >>Gemini IV system from Epson is based on two 3800s. I've never heard of a
    >>single case like yours, and there are no technical issues about the 3800
    >>to be found in the forum for the professional group involved.

    > I am relieved to hear that. Currently I use two 2400 printers, one of
    > which is well worn and needs replacing. I plan to replace it with a
    > 3800. So thanks, David, for the vote of confidence.

    Try connecting to another machine - notebook, maybe?
    This way you'd highlight/eliminate any issues with your setup (including the
    printer).
    Roger Moss, Apr 18, 2008
  14. John Smith

    Tony Polson Guest

    "Roger Moss" <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

    >Try connecting to another machine - notebook, maybe?
    >This way you'd highlight/eliminate any issues with your setup (including the
    >printer).

    Try replying to the correct person. I have absolutely no problems
    with my printing set-up.
    Tony Polson, Apr 18, 2008
  15. John Smith

    tomm42 Guest

    On Apr 18, 1:10 am, "John Smith" <> wrote:
    > Urgent: I need feedback ASAP from other Epson 3800 owners.
    >
    > On Feb 19, 2008, I bought a new Epson 3800 from Samys Camera of Los Angeles.
    > I set it up, made a single gorgeous 8x10 test print, and everything seemed
    > fine - for a while. I left the country and didn't use the printer again for
    > nearly 5 weeks. That's when the trouble started.
    >
    > I returned from my trip about 6 weeks after I bought it, tried to print
    > again, and all it would print was clean white pages, not a single drop of
    > ink came out. Of course, the brand new Epson inkjet cartridges were still
    > in the printer for the past 6 weeks. I powered it off, rebooted my PC, made
    > sure all of the techie stuff was OK (I have 30 years of hands on IT
    > experience, so I know I covered those techie bases right.)
    >
    > Then all of the sudden the 3800 stopped even feeding blank pages though when
    > trying to print, and started displaying a message on the LCD panel something
    > like "Serious error - call Epson technical support".
    >
    > So I did, and Epson determined the printer was defective, and agreed to send
    > me a NEW 3800 to replace it. I insisted on a new unit, not a refurbished
    > unit - which is their standard policy if it's more than 30 days from the
    > date of purchase.
    >
    > About 5 days later I received a box from Epson with 3800 Number 2 in it, and
    > yes, they screwed up and sent me a refurbished unit. Back on the phone with
    > Epson and they agreed to replace it again.
    >
    > Two days ago, I receive 3800 Number 3, and I check it very carefully. Yes,
    > it IS a brand new printer with all of the manuals, inkjet cartridges, and
    > software CD inside that come with a new printer.
    >
    > Today I hooked it up, and bingo, 3800 Number 3 fails immediately. Once
    > again, it will not print ANYTHING in spite of the print heads going back and
    > forth and it's SOUNDING like its printing but nothing comes out other than a
    > completely blank piece of paper.
    >
    > (Before anyone suggests their might be something wrong with my PC's basic
    > ability to print, I print fine all the time to a HP LaserJet sitting right
    > next to the 3800.)
    >
    > So I called Epson again; they have offered to replace it a 4th time or give
    > me a full refund. Samys Camera (what a WONDERFUL store to deal with!)
    > offered to do the same.
    >
    > HERE'S MY QUESTION: Are these 3800s fundamentally problematic? Should I
    > replace it and upgrade to a 4800? Or go back down to a 2400 which I owned
    > before the 3800?
    >
    > I'd GREATLY appreciate any feedback that any experienced Epson 3800 users
    > may have. Other flamers need not reply.
    >
    > TIA ----

    John,
    Will the printer print a test print from the printer firmware? Some
    where in the menus.
    Will it print a test print from the computer?
    Do you have 64 bit XP or Vista or Leopard on the Mac?
    What connection, network or USB? Thy the other one. Length of cables?
    Have you replaced the cord?
    Have you updated the drivers?
    What is the humidity in the room?
    Stupid question, did you prime the third unit or just install the
    inks?
    If you feel you aren't going to get is to work take the refund. If you
    have room for it look at the Canon iPF5100, it has continually checked
    heads, no complaints with clogs.

    Tom
    tomm42, Apr 18, 2008
  16. John Smith

    jimkramer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Alienjones wrote:
    >

    >> ~From your long winded explanation I would say in all honesty, You should
    >> take the refund. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with these
    >> printers.

    > That's not true. There is a problem with all Epson inkjet printers.
    >
    > I know, I own one.

    I hope that you can see the fallacy of your own statement at this point.

    > The problem is ink drying out. Basically, of you don't print at least
    > one small print every day unless the humidity is 100%, soon the
    > heads will dry out and it will cost you a bundle of ink to get them
    > working again.
    >
    > If you live in Vancouver you may never notice this. But if there are
    > dry seasons where you live, you will.
    >
    > However, my $100 printer is otherwise reliable and generates
    > beautiful prints up to 8 1/2 x 44 inches.
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    I have, currently, two Epsons, a sub $100 R200 that I use mainly for CD's
    and a $2,000+ 4800 Pro. They are not the same and are hardly even
    comparable to one another other than that they are both inkjets. I've had
    to clean the R200 4-5 times in the last 2 years, the 4800 at least monthly.
    The R200 can sit for a month and be fine the 4800 needs to be used at least
    weekly.

    To the OP: You've gotten some good tips, unfortunately if you've been
    trying to print with a dry printhead then the printhead is probably fried.
    Jim
    jimkramer, Apr 18, 2008
  17. John Smith

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:10:46 -0700, John Smith wrote:

    > Urgent: I need feedback ASAP from other Epson 3800 owners.
    >

    > On Feb 19, 2008, I bought a new Epson 3800 from Samys Camera of Los
    > Angeles. I set it up, made a single gorgeous 8x10 test print, and
    > everything seemed fine - for a while. I left the country and didn't use
    > the printer again for nearly 5 weeks. That's when the trouble started.
    >
    > I returned from my trip about 6 weeks after I bought it, tried to print
    > again, and all it would print was clean white pages, not a single drop
    > of ink came out. Of course, the brand new Epson inkjet cartridges were
    > still in the printer for the past 6 weeks. I powered it off, rebooted
    > my PC, made sure all of the techie stuff was OK (I have 30 years of
    > hands on IT experience, so I know I covered those techie bases right.)
    >
    > Then all of the sudden the 3800 stopped even feeding blank pages though
    > when trying to print, and started displaying a message on the LCD panel
    > something like "Serious error - call Epson technical support".
    >
    > So I did, and Epson determined the printer was defective, and agreed to
    > send me a NEW 3800 to replace it. I insisted on a new unit, not a
    > refurbished unit - which is their standard policy if it's more than 30
    > days from the date of purchase.
    >
    > About 5 days later I received a box from Epson with 3800 Number 2 in it,
    > and yes, they screwed up and sent me a refurbished unit. Back on the
    > phone with Epson and they agreed to replace it again.
    >
    > Two days ago, I receive 3800 Number 3, and I check it very carefully.
    > Yes, it IS a brand new printer with all of the manuals, inkjet
    > cartridges, and software CD inside that come with a new printer.
    >
    > Today I hooked it up, and bingo, 3800 Number 3 fails immediately. Once
    > again, it will not print ANYTHING in spite of the print heads going back
    > and forth and it's SOUNDING like its printing but nothing comes out
    > other than a completely blank piece of paper.
    >
    > (Before anyone suggests their might be something wrong with my PC's
    > basic ability to print, I print fine all the time to a HP LaserJet
    > sitting right next to the 3800.)
    >
    > So I called Epson again; they have offered to replace it a 4th time or
    > give me a full refund. Samys Camera (what a WONDERFUL store to deal
    > with!) offered to do the same.
    >
    > HERE'S MY QUESTION: Are these 3800s fundamentally problematic? Should I
    > replace it and upgrade to a 4800? Or go back down to a 2400 which I
    > owned before the 3800?
    >
    > I'd GREATLY appreciate any feedback that any experienced Epson 3800
    > users may have. Other flamers need not reply.
    >
    > TIA ----

    1) I've always had excellent results with refurbished - I would have
    bought a refurb in the first place - many folks claim they are better than
    new.

    2) what OS? It sounds to me like a driver or system problem.

    3) Yes, I'd say you've been very well treated.
    ray, Apr 18, 2008
  18. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    I said I had taken of everything technical.

    Yes, I went through the registry, and of course, removed all references to
    both the 2400 and the 3800.
    Windows XP Pros, and yes, with all the latest MS updates.

    John Smith, Apr 18, 2008
  19. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    No, it was of course turned off for the 5 weeks I was away from home...

    John Smith, Apr 18, 2008
  20. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Of course, trying to print a test print was the FIRST thing the Epson tech
    had me do. Nothing came out. A blank page again...

    John Smith, Apr 18, 2008