Epson 2200 with Kodak paper

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marc Walch, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Marc Walch

    Marc Walch Guest

    I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.

    What happens is this: after the paper get imprinted, it slowly exits the
    printer via "exit rollers". Unfortunately, the ink is not quite dry
    enough and the rollers leave unacceptable marks on the print.

    This does not happen with Epson paper (which I am buying and using
    anyway). However, I have a box of Kodak paper that was part of the deal
    when I bought the printer; I'd like to use it if possible.

    I have contacted Kodak and their answer was to use their Easyshare
    software with a driver for the Epson 2200. I did this and the result is
    just as desastrous!

    Any ideas out there?

    Thanks

    Marc

    Marc Walch, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Marc Walch

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Marc Walch

    >I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    >Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.
    >
    >What happens is this: after the paper get imprinted, it slowly exits the
    >printer via "exit rollers". Unfortunately, the ink is not quite dry
    >enough and the rollers leave unacceptable marks on the print.
    >
    >Any ideas out there?

    When you select the paper type in the Epson driver the printer knows how much
    ink to lay down based on the dot gain of that paper. What's happening is the
    option you're selecting is putting down too much ink for the Kodak paper and
    it's not drying fast enough.

    One thing you can try is going to the 'advanced' dialog box and unchecking
    'high speed', this will give the ink a bit more time to dry between the heads
    and the rollers. If this doesn't do it you can try other paper type options
    and see if one of them gives you less ink, though the print quality may be off.

    You can clean the rollers with the device shipped with the printer that looks
    like a tongue depressor with a sponge on the end. The cleaning process is
    describe on pg 65 of the Printer Basics manual.

    >This does not happen with Epson paper (which I am buying and using
    >anyway). However, I have a box of Kodak paper that was part of the deal
    >when I bought the printer; I'd like to use it if possible.

    I've never seen this problem with the Epson paper either, so long as the right
    paper setting was used (heard of a guy who put the glossy paper in upside down
    and he had the smears though).

    Personally I'd just toss the Kodak paper rather than going thru all the
    aggravation. A lot of otherwise very good papers just won't print right on the
    Epson pigment inks but fortunately Epson gives you six good ones to choose from
    so it's no big loss.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Marc Walch

    JIM Guest

    Easy answer is to dump the Kodak stuff; however, you may be able to use it
    to some extent by making sure any high speed settings are turned off and
    select a less saturated setting, i.e., possibly designate plain paper with
    720 or less dpi?? I've never liked Kodak's inkjet papers; but that could be
    because I've always had Epson printers........

    Shoot'em up, print with anything, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will
    love you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Marc Walch

    Warren Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:55:14 -0800, Marc Walch
    <> wrote:

    >I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    >Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.
    >
    >What happens is this: after the paper get imprinted, it slowly exits the
    >printer via "exit rollers". Unfortunately, the ink is not quite dry
    >enough and the rollers leave unacceptable marks on the print.
    >
    >This does not happen with Epson paper (which I am buying and using
    >anyway). However, I have a box of Kodak paper that was part of the deal
    >when I bought the printer; I'd like to use it if possible.
    >
    >I have contacted Kodak and their answer was to use their Easyshare
    >software with a driver for the Epson 2200. I did this and the result is
    >just as desastrous!
    >
    >Any ideas out there?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Marc

    You might try buying a set of roller lifters designed for the 2200,
    they are intended to address these "slow-drying" problems when
    printing on non-Epson papers. Other problems, too--such as reverse
    curl are probably fixed with this. Just do a search on eBay under
    "Epson 2200" and you will (hopefully) find this guy's ad. I bought a
    set a couple weeks ago, they are under $20.

    Of course printing on relatively non-absorbant papers or those that
    are over-sized in some manner could lead to reticulation effects, but
    this is not always such a bad thing, depending on what you're trying
    to achieve. I've printed some very interesting B&W pictures on
    plastic-based HP "paper" that requires about two days to settle down.

    Warren, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Marc Walch

    Tom Monego Guest

    Right paper for the right printer. The Epson 2200 is a pigmented ink printer,
    Kodak Premium Photo works best with dye inks. I use a long lasting dye ink
    with it and have excellent results, but I'm sure it could be a pain with the
    Ultrachrome inks. I'd use one of the Epson or Ilford glossy papers made for
    pigments, If you are locked into Kodak try the UltraPhoto.

    Tom

    In article <>, says...

    Tom Monego, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Marc Walch

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Marc Walch

    >I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    >Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.

    >This does not happen with Epson paper (which I am buying and using
    >anyway). However, I have a box of Kodak paper that was part of the deal
    >when I bought the printer; I'd like to use it if possible.

    It bothers me a little bit that you ponied up $700 for the Epson 2200 and now
    you're skimping on paper.

    It bothers me a lot that you work for NASA.

    Always use paper designed for the printer you select. Using Kodak or HP paper
    in an Epson printer gives lousy results, as you found out.

    Annika1980, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Marc Walch

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Bill,

    Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having in printing with EasyShare.

    One of the featuresthat is included with Kodaks EasyShare software, is One
    Touch. This feature is the result of a lot of work on the part of Kodak to
    make sure that most of the printers that are on the market today give good
    results with Kodak paper. This means that if you install Kodak EasyShare
    Software and choose the Print At Home tab in the software with the Epson
    2200 selected at the printer, and you choose Kodak Premium Picture Paper as
    the choice choice of paper from the options, the driver will be adjusted to
    provide optimum results with that paper.

    In fact, Marc, to help you understand the feature a little better, please go
    to the following URL. Review the technology that is being offered and give
    it a try the next time you make some prints. If the results are not what
    you think the should be or are not better than before, let me know as I
    would like to find out why. We spend months working on specific printers,
    tweaking and adjusting till the results are great. We then post them to the
    website for One Touch. If you have EasyShare software, as noted, you can go
    to the following site and download. We monitor printer manufacturers and
    work closely with them so we have the latest drivers included.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    Give it a try, I am quite sure you will enjoy the results.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Marc Walch

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/5/03 11:55 AM, in article , "Marc Walch"
    <> wrote:

    > I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    > Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.
    >
    > What happens is this: after the paper get imprinted, it slowly exits the
    > printer via "exit rollers". Unfortunately, the ink is not quite dry
    > enough and the rollers leave unacceptable marks on the print.
    >
    > This does not happen with Epson paper (which I am buying and using
    > anyway). However, I have a box of Kodak paper that was part of the deal
    > when I bought the printer; I'd like to use it if possible.
    >
    > I have contacted Kodak and their answer was to use their Easyshare
    > software with a driver for the Epson 2200. I did this and the result is
    > just as desastrous!
    >
    > Any ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Marc

    Why don't you just donate it to charity or someone who has a compatible
    printer? Your just making bad prints that may damage the printer and be
    useless.

    George Kerby, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Marc Walch

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/5/03 2:58 PM, in article ,
    "Annika1980" <> wrote:

    >> From: Marc Walch

    >> I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    >> Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.

    >> This does not happen with Epson paper (which I am buying and using
    >> anyway). However, I have a box of Kodak paper that was part of the deal
    >> when I bought the printer; I'd like to use it if possible.

    > It bothers me a little bit that you ponied up $700 for the Epson 2200 and now
    > you're skimping on paper.
    >
    > It bothers me a lot that you work for NASA.

    LOL! U de bomb, Anni!
    ;-)

    George Kerby, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Marc Walch

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Ron Baird"

    >Hi Bill,
    >
    >Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having in printing with EasyShare.

    Hi Ron,

    Actually I don't have any troubles with EasyShare since I've never used it and
    never used Kodak paper in my Epson printers. Can't imagine why I would want to
    either since the Epson papers are so good.

    Maybe you have me confused with Marc, the original poster?

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Marc Walch

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: George Kerby

    >> It bothers me a little bit that you ponied up $700 for the Epson 2200 and

    >now
    >> you're skimping on paper.
    >>
    >> It bothers me a lot that you work for NASA.
    >>

    >LOL! U de bomb, Anni!

    Obviously, this ain't rocket science.

    Annika1980, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Marc Walch

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Bill,

    Sorry if I confused you with Marc, but your note is interesting in that you
    have not used Kodak paper. Actually, though I work at Kodak, I find it to
    be excellent. The EasyShare and One Touch feature do work quite well, so if
    you should have an interest in the future, I suggest you consider it. I
    think you will find the results quite good. Thanks for the feedback.

    Ron Baird, Dec 8, 2003
  13. Marc Walch

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Ron Baird"

    >your note is interesting in that you have not used Kodak paper.
    >Actually, though I work at Kodak, I find it to be excellent.

    I have two problems with using non-Epson papers in a 2200, whether they are
    Kodak or Somerset or whatever.

    1) Most of these papers don't come with an accurate ICM profile (actually most
    of them don't come with any profiles at all), which I use to soft-proof with in
    Photoshop. Some have profiles you can download but I've found they are rarely
    very accurate when I used a couple with an Epson 1280 a couple years back.

    2) Few if any of them have been fully tested by Wilhelm for print life
    longevity with that ink set. I think it's unethical to sell photos on paper
    that hasn't been tested, though of course it's irrelevant for prints you're not
    going to sell. Most people buy the 2200 for the long print life and the Epson
    papers are rated between 50 and 90 years, so why toss that away by using a
    third party paper?

    Wilhelm recently wrote that he tested the new HP 7960 (I think that's the
    model) and got 73 years estimated print life with the recommended HP paper but
    only 2 years with a recommended third party paper. Hmm ...

    The 2200 comes with six papers fully supported with ICM profiles and
    Wilhelm-generated longevity estimates, on a variety of surfaces from glossy,
    semi-gloss and luster to matte and two fine-art papers (Velvet Fine Art and
    Watercolor-Radiant White). Other than canvas I can't imagine needing anything
    else.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 8, 2003
  14. Marc Walch

    Warren Guest

    On 08 Dec 2003 21:29:33 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    >>From: "Ron Baird"

    >>your note is interesting in that you have not used Kodak paper.
    >>Actually, though I work at Kodak, I find it to be excellent.

    >I have two problems with using non-Epson papers in a 2200, whether they are
    >Kodak or Somerset or whatever.
    >
    >1) Most of these papers don't come with an accurate ICM profile (actually most
    >of them don't come with any profiles at all), which I use to soft-proof with in
    >Photoshop. Some have profiles you can download but I've found they are rarely
    >very accurate when I used a couple with an Epson 1280 a couple years back.
    >
    >2) Few if any of them have been fully tested by Wilhelm for print life
    >longevity with that ink set. I think it's unethical to sell photos on paper
    >that hasn't been tested, though of course it's irrelevant for prints you're not
    >going to sell. Most people buy the 2200 for the long print life and the Epson
    >papers are rated between 50 and 90 years, so why toss that away by using a
    >third party paper?
    >
    >Wilhelm recently wrote that he tested the new HP 7960 (I think that's the
    >model) and got 73 years estimated print life with the recommended HP paper but
    >only 2 years with a recommended third party paper. Hmm ...
    >
    >The 2200 comes with six papers fully supported with ICM profiles and
    >Wilhelm-generated longevity estimates, on a variety of surfaces from glossy,
    >semi-gloss and luster to matte and two fine-art papers (Velvet Fine Art and
    >Watercolor-Radiant White). Other than canvas I can't imagine needing anything
    >else.
    >
    >Bill

    You'd expect that pigment-based printers (such as the 2200) would be
    relatively tolerant to different paper types, since the colorant is
    intended to remain on the surface of the paper rather than be soaked
    into an outer layer where adverse reactions can occur. This does seem
    to be my experience also (love that matte black).

    Warren, Dec 9, 2003
  15. Marc Walch

    Guest

    Marc Walch <> wrote:
    > I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    > Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.

    The solution to your problem is simple. Don't use that Kodak Paper any
    more. It sucks, esp. for Epson printers. Your best option is to use
    Epson paper in your printer. Its hard to go wrong with Epson Matte
    Heavyweight paper, which happens to be on sale at Staples this week where
    you buy two 50 packs @ $12.99 each and get a third pack for free.

    , Dec 15, 2003
  16. Marc Walch

    John Horner Guest

    <> wrote in message news:brjalt$r1v$...
    > Marc Walch <> wrote:
    > > I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    > > Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.

    Stay with Epson ink and paper.

    John Horner, Dec 22, 2003
  17. Marc Walch

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:28:51 -0800, "John Horner" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message news:brjalt$r1v$...
    >> Marc Walch <> wrote:
    >> > I am having considerable problems using Kodak Paper (Premium Picture
    >> > Paper) with an Epson 2200 printer.

    >Stay with Epson ink and paper.

    Good advice for the beginner, but otherwise totally simplistic. By
    now, I think we have maybe 20-30 flavors of ink (Big 3 = 6
    flavors---Epson has 4). MIS has 6 or so,, then there is Lyson,
    Mediastreet, Amazon (Pantone), and....???

    Then---how many flavors of paper? I'll guess about 50.

    Take the low end of the range for ink (20) times 50 flavors of paper,
    and you have 1000 combinations.

    What Epson (or any other mfg) is telling you when they sell you their
    particular combo is that they have tested it and had good results.
    This gives the new user a safe starting point, but staying there may
    be limiting.

    I just rigged my Epson 1280 with MIS archival ink (original formula)
    and am getting very nice results with Epson Enhanced Matte. Will try
    the ink with maybe 5 more papers in the next year.

    (NB: The original poster is a colleague--his issue is with Kodak
    glossy paper and the Epson Ultrachrome ink---only one of the 1000
    possibilities. He gave me a piece of the Kodak and I printed with
    1280 dye---looked great)
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Marc Walch

    John Horner Guest

    > >Stay with Epson ink and paper.
    > >

    > Good advice for the beginner, but otherwise totally simplistic.

    By the time someone has the expertise to choose advanced inks and papers
    they will have the knowledge about how to do so. However, anyone struggling
    with Kodak papers in an Epson 2200 is clearly light years away from nuances
    and should first become expert at using the Epson materials and then perhaps
    learn the world of more exotic choices.

    None of the exotic choices are generally sold at Costco, Staples, WalMart,
    etc. and until the user is well beyond those sources the simple rule of
    sticking with Epson makes great sense.

    John

    John Horner, Dec 23, 2003