    Gene Palmiter
    freebridge design group
    www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine
    Gene Palmiter, Dec 3, 2004

  2. I've used this paper and cannot for the life of me see any significant
    difference between one side and the other. I suspect that the
    instructions have been cut, pasted -- and not edited -- from something
    else

    Neal Margolis / http://www.skillware.com / / 415-845-1847
    Neal Margolis, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Gene Palmiter

    Mark² Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > I am setting up my first print with my new Epson 2200. I have Epson's

    Velvet
    > Fine Art Paper. The instructions say to print on the brightest side. I see
    > one side as more textured than the other...but not really brighter. The
    > texture causes more shadowing if I side light it...but its not really
    > darker. Anyone know if they really mean to print on the smoother side?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Gene Palmiter
    > (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
    > freebridge design group
    > www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

    I haven't yet used that particular paper, but I generally find that with
    most papers, the more textured side is the print side (except for glossy, of
    course!).

    Here are two tips I've read elsewhere that I've found to be generally true
    as well:

    1. Wet your finger slightly, and touch it to a far corner (where the
    printer won't print anyway)...the printable side tends to be slightly sticky
    compared to the non-print side.

    2. Take a sharpie pen and make a tiny line (again on a far unusable
    corner). The ink will bleed/spread slightly on the non-print side, but will
    stay sharp as a tack on the print-side (due to coating).

    -Mark
    Mark², Dec 3, 2004
  4. Gene Palmiter

    gsum Guest

    Is it roll or sheet? If its roll, you print on the outside of the roll.
    The back of the paper has a slightly yellow (and I mean slight)
    when viewed in daylight. They look identical in artificial light.
    Try a test print. If you get it wrong the print will be of poor quality
    and you'll have lost only a little ink.

    Graham

    gsum, Dec 3, 2004
  5. "gsum" <> wrote in message
    > Is it roll or sheet? If its roll, you print on the outside of the roll.
    > The back of the paper has a slightly yellow (and I mean slight)
    > when viewed in daylight. They look identical in artificial light.
    > Try a test print. If you get it wrong the print will be of poor quality
    > and you'll have lost only a little ink.

    Its sheet...and the prints look fine...but they are my first and I don't
    know if the other side does better. I will go outside and see if I can
    tell....I work in a basement with low watt incandescent bulbs....its all
    yellow.
    Gene Palmiter, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Gene Palmiter

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Gene Palmiter"

    >I am setting up my first print with my new Epson 2200. I have Epson's Velvet
    >Fine Art Paper.

    Ah, my favorite paper for the Ultrachrome inks ... wish they made it in 17x22"
    sheets!

    >The instructions say to print on the brightest side. I see
    >one side as more textured than the other...but not really brighter.

    You have to shine a really bright light on it to see the difference. Helps to
    take two sheets out and flip one, then you can see the difference a bit easier.

    >Anyone know if they really mean to print on the smoother side?

    If you're not sure print on both sides, the non-coated side will be very dull
    in comparison.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Gene Palmiter

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Neal Margolis

    >I've used this paper and cannot for the life of me see any significant
    >difference between one side and the other.

    If you print on the non-coated side you'll see a giant difference in image
    quality ... I used to use the original Somerset Velvet paper, which was
    non-coated so you could print both sides, so when I first used VFA I didn't
    realize it was single-sided and printed on the wrong side by mistake. The
    prints are very dull and unsaturated if you do this, trust me.
    Bill Hilton, Dec 3, 2004
  8. As I have been in printing (offest, letterpress, screen) for decades and now
    doing DTP, I have the habit of deciding how I want to end up before I decide
    how to start. It also applies that I studied the Zone through books by Minor
    White and Ansel Adams and am comfortable with previsualization...so I really
    do "see" my print on the wall of my mind before I take a shot. Anyway,
    before I printed anything I went to my framer and we discussed how big I
    should print. We decided that if I printed 12.25x16.25 it would fit a 2 inch
    wide mat and the whole would fit a 16x20 frame. I have never printed that
    size before and was pleasantly surprised that it's just about full frame for
    my Oly E-10. I have been having my work printed 8x10 and 11x17 where I loose
    a bit, so it is nice that I don't have to loose anything significant.

    It is my contention that we have a new artistic media and have to establish
    our own esthetic....just as the f64 group did 80 years ago with photography.
    Things that we can do that was not generally possible before include
    Graphics and Type with photos. We also tend to use color in our prints more
    than artistic photographers of the past. I also don't limit myself to just
    photographs. I make images from scratch using Photoshop and
    Illustrator...and even Indesign if mixing output from several sources. One
    thing I am thinking about now is how to label and sign my work. Generally a
    photograph is not signed in the image area...while a paint is. Output from a
    inkjet is a cross between the two and I have to decide how I will sign it. I
    am just about decided that I will sign in the print area like a painting. I
    am printing just one of everything...no limited editions. If I want more
    than one I will re-Photoshop it so that each is bound to be different from
    the others. These are, in my mind more original than they are prints...and a
    higher purchase price is justified. Any thoughts?

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 3, 2004