    without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

    TIA

    Chris

    Chris Gilbert, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Chris Gilbert

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Chris Gilbert)

    >I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
    >the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
    >a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
    >according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
    >have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
    >without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

    What software are you using to print from? If Photoshop, are you soft proofing
    to an accurate printer profile, and using a calibrated monitor? If you're
    doing this then you should get a good match except for colors that are out of
    gamut. If you're not doing something like this it's more hit or miss.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Chris Gilbert

    bmoag Guest

    Getting quality prints out photoprinters is not as easy as manufacturers
    lead people to think. To see what your printer is capable of you need to
    learn the basics of color management and workflow. There just isn't any
    other way because that is the system that the manufacturers are designing to
    work with their printers.

    I have looked at other programs but realistically printer manufacturers make
    their products primarily Adobe compatible which means Photoshop or Elements
    are the easiest to configure. Color management is possible, but difficult in
    my experience, in Photopaint and to a limited extent Paintshop. You can get
    good results without color management but you have to be able to be certain
    that color management is turned off in your photoprogram: if not the usual
    result is a frustrating pink or red discoloration in all prints. Epson
    printers in my experience are less tolerant of color mismanagement than some
    other brands.

    If you have PS or Elements the easiest way to learn is to look up the Epson
    Print Academy, presuming Epson still offers this on their web site. Just
    watching how it is done will be easier than reading a long instruction book.
    The cost is not much more than one color ink cartridge.

    bmoag, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Apart from the aspects of printer and print management that others have
    answered, are you sure your image (if that is what you are talking about)
    contains real blacks.
    If you use Photoshop, use "adjust", "levels" and move the left slider to the
    beginning of black, readjusting the other sliders bak to their desired
    darkness - or ,alternatively, use the black eyedropper to mark the darkest
    intensity..

    Dankwart Koehler, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. Yes, I use Elements so clearly
    there's a bit of legwork on my part required on my part. I appreciate
    your time.

    Chris

    Chris Gilbert, Aug 13, 2004
  6. epson printers are famous for their incredibly accurate register: if you run
    a print (DRY!!!) once more, the image doesn't shift at all. this led me to
    experiment, and now, if i need blacker blacks, i simply run the print once
    more trough the printer. of course, i first erase everything i don't want to
    print twice - otherwise i get very queer results...

    Yehuda Paradise, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Chris Gilbert

    MikeS Guest

    > Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. Yes, I use Elements so clearly
    > there's a bit of legwork on my part required on my part. I appreciate
    > your time.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    >Chris,

    Let us know how you get on.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Since you are working from your monitor, check that the calibration of
    your monitor is good to start with, when doing your photo editing, and
    adjustment. It is very important that the contrast and brightness are
    properly set up to grey scale. Then make sure that you are using the
    proper paper.

    I had a client with the same problem. He was adjusting his black
    levels in his owrk to be higher, when using his photo editor software.
    The blacks looked crashed in his monitor. I did the grey scale test,
    and found the black level (brightness) on the monitor to be set far
    too low. After properly setting it up, he no longer had the problem,
    that he was making for himself.

    The Epson printer are supposed to be very accurate for their print
    quality. You should not have this type of fault, if everything is
    properly set up on your system.

    Jerry G.
    ========

    Jerry Greenberg, Aug 14, 2004
  9. (Chris Gilbert) writes:

    > I'd appreciate some opinions from people who have used the above
    > printer.
    >
    > I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
    > the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
    > a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
    > according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
    > have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
    > without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

    Hardware monitor profiling. Then use the right printer profile for
    the paper, and use a photo grade paper (which are designed to accept
    and handle a much heavier ink load).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 20, 2004
  10. Chris Gilbert

    ed Guest

    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
    > Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

    Or check which View "Proof Setup" looks most like your print, and then work
    in that mode. Then u get WYSIWYG. Waziwig... my friend

    ed, Aug 21, 2004