Epileptic Seizures - MUST stop animated graphics

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by letterman@invalid.com, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I'm posting this for a friend who dont even know what newsgroups are.
    (yes, people like that do exist). :)

    Anyhow, she's the kind of person who buys a computer, only goes on
    websites to play games, dont even know what her email address is, and
    follows ant weblink that pops up, using IE. When the viruses and
    spyware get so bad she gets all pissy because the computer wont work,
    then spends a fortune taking it to the shop. Her last computer was so
    infested, all programs loaded as fanthoms. She took it to the shop
    who wanted to charge her $300 to reinstall XP on that 5 year old
    computer. XP was so corrupted that it could not even be removed or
    reinstalled. (I tried, and so did a few other experienced persons).
    We finally just replaced the hard drive and reinstalled XP (for much
    less than $300). She lost all her data in the process. A month later
    she was all infected again.

    Anyhow, last week I installed Firefox on her computer and told her to
    stop using IE and use FF. She had troubles getting to learn it at
    first, but now she likes it. One problem though is that she has
    Epileptic Seizures. Animated graphics have caused her to have
    seizures, so they must be disabled. It's easy to disable them in IE,
    but how does someone disable them in FF2.x? (or can they?).
    She really needs this turned off. She started having a seizures while
    I was visiting, and she hit the off switch and shut off the computer.
    She knows to do that, even though it's not good for the computer.

    Is there some setting to kill the animations (animated gifs). I
    already installed Flashblock to kill flash content.

    Thanks
    , Jun 9, 2008

  2. Rom Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 06:07:53 -0500, wrote:

    > Anyhow, last week I installed Firefox on her computer and told her to
    > stop using IE and use FF. She had troubles getting to learn it at
    > first, but now she likes it. One problem though is that she has
    > Epileptic Seizures. Animated graphics have caused her to have
    > seizures, so they must be disabled. It's easy to disable them in IE,
    > but how does someone disable them in FF2.x? (or can they?).

    I like the Quick Preference Button extension
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1851>, which adds a
    Prefs menu after Help on the Menu toolbar for easy access, and it
    includes animations to play normal, once, or none.

    Otherwise, to manually change it:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Animated_images>

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jun 9, 2008

  3. wrote:
    > I'm posting this for a friend who dont even know what newsgroups are.
    > (yes, people like that do exist). :)
    >
    > Anyhow, she's the kind of person who buys a computer, only goes on
    > websites to play games, dont even know what her email address is, and
    > follows ant weblink that pops up, using IE. When the viruses and
    > spyware get so bad she gets all pissy because the computer wont work,
    > then spends a fortune taking it to the shop. Her last computer was so
    > infested, all programs loaded as fanthoms. She took it to the shop
    > who wanted to charge her $300 to reinstall XP on that 5 year old
    > computer. XP was so corrupted that it could not even be removed or
    > reinstalled. (I tried, and so did a few other experienced persons).
    > We finally just replaced the hard drive and reinstalled XP (for much
    > less than $300). She lost all her data in the process. A month later
    > she was all infected again.
    >
    > Anyhow, last week I installed Firefox on her computer and told her to
    > stop using IE and use FF. She had troubles getting to learn it at
    > first, but now she likes it. One problem though is that she has
    > Epileptic Seizures. Animated graphics have caused her to have
    > seizures, so they must be disabled. It's easy to disable them in IE,
    > but how does someone disable them in FF2.x? (or can they?).
    > She really needs this turned off. She started having a seizures while
    > I was visiting, and she hit the off switch and shut off the computer.
    > She knows to do that, even though it's not good for the computer.
    >
    > Is there some setting to kill the animations (animated gifs). I
    > already installed Flashblock to kill flash content.
    >
    > Thanks

    in the address bar type in about:config and look for this
    entry:

    image.animation_mode

    once found, double click on it and change it to: none

    you many have to restart FF for it to set.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 9, 2008