EOS300D Metering

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andrew Smith, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Andrew Smith

    Andrew Smith Guest

    Hello

    I recently purchased an eos300d and I think I'm a little out of my
    depth :eek:)

    I simply do not understand the Metering + flash operation in Manual
    Mode.

    For example I can point the camera at a scene in fully automatic mode
    and it will pop up the flash and tell me it is going to shoot at f4.5
    and 1/60th sec.

    If I simply change to manual mode and point the camera at exactly the
    same scene and set it to the settings it used for the first image it
    will tell me that it is hopelessly under exposed, in fact to get it to
    tell me that the shot will expose correctly I will have to set it to a
    far slower speed (say f4.5 at 1/4th sec or thereabouts) despite the
    fact that I still have the flash up.

    What am I missing (or is this actualy the way the camera is supposed
    to operate??)

    TIA

    Andy
    Andrew Smith, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Andrew Smith

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew Smith <> wrote:

    >If I simply change to manual mode and point the camera at exactly the
    >same scene and set it to the settings it used for the first image it
    >will tell me that it is hopelessly under exposed, in fact to get it to
    >tell me that the shot will expose correctly I will have to set it to a
    >far slower speed (say f4.5 at 1/4th sec or thereabouts) despite the
    >fact that I still have the flash up.

    This confuses a lot of people. Flash exposure and ambient exposure are
    different things. In M, Tv and Av the metering is for the scene *without*
    the flash, i.e. it goes off the ambient light. The flash will still fire,
    however, and if it has enough power it will correctly illuminate your
    subject (note, if you tend to focus and recompose, then you might want to
    use Flash Exposure Lock - this is explained in the manual).

    P mode, on the other hand, assumes that the flash will be the main source of
    illumination and adjusts the metering accordingly.

    If you want to use manual mode with the flash, where the flash is your main
    illumination, then select a shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/90, and an
    appropriate aperture value (for portraits, try f/2.8 if your lens will go
    that low). Your meter will say that the image is going to be under-exposed
    (if it doesn't, you either don't need the flash, or you have too small an
    aperture or too low an ISO). The flash will emit as much light as is needed
    to correctly expose your subject, assuming it can.

    This is quite handy, because it allows more advanced flash photography where
    you balance the ambient exposure (using the meter and shutter-speed/aperture
    value/ISO) and the flash exposure.

    If this all seems confusing, don't worry - SLR flash photography is
    something that does take quite a lot of getting used to.
    Chris Brown, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Andrew Smith

    Andrew Smith Guest

    Ah. I see. Thank you so much for explaining this to me.

    :eek:)

    Andy
    Andrew Smith, Feb 13, 2004