EOS 50D Release....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kev, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Kev

    Kev Guest

    I've still to purchase my first digital SLR and have considered the EOS 30D,
    I should be able to get my hands on one early next year but wonder if it's
    waiting on the next model to be released. Prices keep falling and specs get
    better, I realise that I'll have to take the plunge at some point but, if
    there is a new release around the corner I'd prefer to wait especially if
    the upgrade is worth it.

    I'm guessing the replacement for the 30D will be announced in August 2007,
    be called 50D (apparently 4's are bad luck in some Asian countries) and that
    it will incorporate a 10MP sensor with a built-in cleaner similar to the new
    400D.

    Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?

    Kind regards

    Kevin

    PS My dad opted for the Fuji F30 from my shortlist of compacts, we are
    currently waiting on delivery, £170 from Amazon seemed a bargain!
    Kev, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Kev

    Mark² Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > I've still to purchase my first digital SLR and have considered the
    > EOS 30D, I should be able to get my hands on one early next year but
    > wonder if it's waiting on the next model to be released. Prices keep
    > falling and specs get better, I realise that I'll have to take the
    > plunge at some point but, if there is a new release around the corner
    > I'd prefer to wait especially if the upgrade is worth it.
    >
    > I'm guessing the replacement for the 30D will be announced in August
    > 2007, be called 50D (apparently 4's are bad luck in some Asian
    > countries) and that it will incorporate a 10MP sensor with a built-in
    > cleaner similar to the new 400D.
    >
    > Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?

    I suspect we might see something sooner...perhaps February.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Dec 9, 2006

  3. Kev

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Kev (replacenumbersforletters) wrote:
    >
    > I've still to purchase my first digital SLR and have considered the EOS 30D,
    > I should be able to get my hands on one early next year but wonder if it's
    > waiting on the next model to be released.
    >
    > I'm guessing the replacement for the 30D will be announced in August 2007,
    > ... and that it will incorporate a 10MP sensor with a built-in cleaner similar
    > to the new 400D.
    >
    > Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?

    It's unlikely Canon will keep the 8 Mpixel sensor in the 20D and 30D
    while shipping a 10 Mpixel sensor in the low end model any longer than
    possible ... my guess is we'll see the replacements announced in
    January for the big Feb camera show.

    Hopefully along with a 1D Mark III with 12 Mpixels @ 8.5 fps and a 1Ds
    Mark III with 22 Mpixels :)

    But just a guess ...

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Kev

    Frank ess Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > I've still to purchase my first digital SLR and have considered the
    > EOS 30D, I should be able to get my hands on one early next year but
    > wonder if it's waiting on the next model to be released. Prices
    > keep
    > falling and specs get better, I realise that I'll have to take the
    > plunge at some point but, if there is a new release around the
    > corner
    > I'd prefer to wait especially if the upgrade is worth it.
    >
    > I'm guessing the replacement for the 30D will be announced in August
    > 2007, be called 50D (apparently 4's are bad luck in some Asian
    > countries) and that it will incorporate a 10MP sensor with a
    > built-in
    > cleaner similar to the new 400D.
    >
    > Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > PS My dad opted for the Fuji F30 from my shortlist of compacts, we
    > are
    > currently waiting on delivery, £170 from Amazon seemed a bargain!

    You'll never know if "the upgrade is worth it" until it happens, and
    then only in the opinion of others, unless you have the previous model
    and experience with it.

    Cost of today's best compromise: ~$2,500 US plus your choice of
    lenses; cost of missed opportunities and learning: incalculable.

    He who hesitates has lost.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Kev

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:46:20 -0000, "Kev"
    <0m(replacenumbersforletters)> wrote:

    > I've still to purchase my first digital SLR and have considered the EOS 30D,
    > I should be able to get my hands on one early next year but wonder if it's
    > waiting on the next model to be released. Prices keep falling and specs get
    > better, I realise that I'll have to take the plunge at some point but, if
    > there is a new release around the corner I'd prefer to wait especially if
    > the upgrade is worth it.
    >
    > I'm guessing the replacement for the 30D will be announced in August 2007,
    > be called 50D (apparently 4's are bad luck in some Asian countries) and that
    > it will incorporate a 10MP sensor with a built-in cleaner similar to the new
    > 400D.
    >
    > Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?

    The ever controversial Ken Rockwell does.
    His "DIGITAL OBSOLESCENCE: FutureTrash" seems to have been written
    just to extract you from this predicament. He makes a pretty good
    case for why you will be better off not waiting, even if a future
    upgrade is a good one.

    http://kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm
    ASAAR, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Kev

    Matt Ion Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:46:20 -0000, "Kev"
    > <0m(replacenumbersforletters)> wrote:
    >

    >>I've still to purchase my first digital SLR and have considered the EOS 30D,
    >>I should be able to get my hands on one early next year but wonder if it's
    >>waiting on the next model to be released. Prices keep falling and specs get
    >>better, I realise that I'll have to take the plunge at some point but, if
    >>there is a new release around the corner I'd prefer to wait especially if
    >>the upgrade is worth it.
    >>
    >>I'm guessing the replacement for the 30D will be announced in August 2007,
    >>be called 50D (apparently 4's are bad luck in some Asian countries) and that
    >>it will incorporate a 10MP sensor with a built-in cleaner similar to the new
    >>400D.
    >>
    >>Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?

    > The ever controversial Ken Rockwell does.
    > His "DIGITAL OBSOLESCENCE: FutureTrash" seems to have been written
    > just to extract you from this predicament. He makes a pretty good
    > case for why you will be better off not waiting, even if a future
    > upgrade is a good one.
    >
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm

    He does make some very good points there, and his example of waiting to buy a PC
    is a classic case - I know people who are just now upgrading their computers for
    the first time in a decade for these same reasons.

    I get a kick out of this bit:

    "How can I avoid all this obsolescence?
    Simple: shoot film, especially the larger formats. I use 50 year old 4 x 5
    cameras and lenses and they are as good as brand new. If you want to use digital
    then you're going to have to deal with obsolescence."

    Aside from the fact that film is getting harder to find, this is a good point as
    well. Then again, medium format always has been a bit of a niche and the film
    harder to find outside the specialty retailers.
    Matt Ion, Dec 9, 2006
  7. Charles Schuler, Dec 9, 2006
  8. Kev

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 18:13:25 -0500, Charles Schuler wrote:

    >> http://kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm

    > Maybe it's just me, but that diatribe seems to be rife with
    > self-contradictions.

    You've been here long enough to be well aware of the anti-Rockwell
    brigade. "Diatribe" is just the word they'd use, too.
    ASAAR, Dec 9, 2006
  9. "ASAAR" <> wrote:

    >> Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?

    > The ever controversial Ken Rockwell does.
    > His "DIGITAL OBSOLESCENCE: FutureTrash" seems to have been written
    > just to extract you from this predicament. He makes a pretty good
    > case for why you will be better off not waiting, even if a future
    > upgrade is a good one.
    >
    > http://kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm

    Must be a blue moon: KR got something right!

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Dec 10, 2006
  10. Kev

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:24:10 +0900, David J. Littleboy wrote:

    >> The ever controversial Ken Rockwell does.
    >> His "DIGITAL OBSOLESCENCE: FutureTrash" seems to have been written
    >> just to extract you from this predicament. He makes a pretty good
    >> case for why you will be better off not waiting, even if a future
    >> upgrade is a good one.
    >>
    >> http://kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm

    > Must be a blue moon: KR got something right!

    But never one to rest when there are flames to be fanned, he's
    added to his previous comments about the $150 P&S vs the $5000 DSLR,
    this time explaining how his D200 (and his cheap D40 as well) can be
    considered to be better than his superior 5D. As usual, his POV is
    that of a photographer that hasn't learned to use the camera so well
    that it's second nature, and not that of very competent pros and
    amateurs.

    Until it gets pushed down, the new comments are at the top of his
    "Today's Updates" page.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm
    ASAAR, Dec 10, 2006
  11. Kev

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Charles Schuler <> wrote:

    >> http://kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm

    >Maybe it's just me, but that diatribe seems to be rife with
    >self-contradictions.

    The question of waiting for a new model or not waiting
    doesn't have a simple answer, as most of us know.

    For instance I have a Canon 300D. I will upgrade it
    soon, probably to what follows on in the 20D-30D line.
    I can wait because the 300D takes wonderful pictures
    and I'm spending my money buying lenses that will work
    just as well on my next camera.

    If I had no camera, it would obviously be a different
    story. (And I'd not be buying lenses... ;-)

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Dec 10, 2006
  12. "ASAAR" <> wrote:

    >>> http://kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm

    >> Must be a blue moon: KR got something right!

    > But never one to rest when there are flames to be fanned, he's
    > added to his previous comments about the $150 P&S vs the $5000 DSLR,
    > this time explaining how his D200 (and his cheap D40 as well) can be
    > considered to be better than his superior 5D. As usual, his POV is
    > that of a photographer that hasn't learned to use the camera so well
    > that it's second nature, and not that of very competent pros and
    > amateurs.

    Well, I guess he's a pessimist.

    IMHO, photography really isn't rocket science. I can't imagine anyone _who
    tries_ failing to figure it out. So I disagree with the implicit claim (you
    report him to be making) that the vast majority of native English speakers
    with US$3500 or so of discretionary income are too dumb to learn how to use
    a 5D.

    Of course, the point of the 5D is to make pretty 11x14" and larger prints,
    and it does remarkably well at that. If one isn't making 11x14" and larger
    prints, I'm not sure what the point of getting a 5D would be.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Dec 10, 2006
  13. Kev

    Scott W Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > >> Must be a blue moon: KR got something right!

    > > But never one to rest when there are flames to be fanned, he's
    > > added to his previous comments about the $150 P&S vs the $5000 DSLR,
    > > this time explaining how his D200 (and his cheap D40 as well) can be
    > > considered to be better than his superior 5D. As usual, his POV is
    > > that of a photographer that hasn't learned to use the camera so well
    > > that it's second nature, and not that of very competent pros and
    > > amateurs.

    > Well, I guess he's a pessimist.
    >
    > IMHO, photography really isn't rocket science. I can't imagine anyone _who
    > tries_ failing to figure it out. So I disagree with the implicit claim (you
    > report him to be making) that the vast majority of native English speakers
    > with US$3500 or so of discretionary income are too dumb to learn how to use
    > a 5D.
    >
    > Of course, the point of the 5D is to make pretty 11x14" and larger prints,
    > and it does remarkably well at that. If one isn't making 11x14" and larger
    > prints, I'm not sure what the point of getting a 5D would be.

    Well there is the little item about being able to shoot at much higher
    ISO then just about any other camera. Then too is the fact that you
    can get more wide angle lenses for it then a non-FF camera

    It kills me that to even come close to what a $70 50mm lens on the 5D
    would do I have to pay far more for a 28mm that is not even as fast.
    Of course the differance in cost if far less then the cost of a 5D so
    for now I am happy with my 20D and 350D.

    With a 5D the 28mm comes off and the 50mm goes on, the ISO gets bumpped
    from 800 to 1600 and my shutter speed goes from 1/20 to 1/100 and I am
    even more happy....someday.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 10, 2006
  14. Kev

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:51:20 +0900, David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > IMHO, photography really isn't rocket science. I can't imagine anyone _who
    > tries_ failing to figure it out. So I disagree with the implicit claim (you
    > report him to be making) that the vast majority of native English speakers
    > with US$3500 or so of discretionary income are too dumb to learn how to use
    > a 5D.

    I don't thing that KR would disagree with you. But I think that
    he's aware that not all 5D owners have figured it out or have any
    desire to do so. I didn't read nor pass on any claim that anyone
    might be too dumb to learn how to use a 5D effectively, although
    there are probably at least a few. I think that Ken might argue
    that if someone is not going to put any effort into learning the
    minimum required to use a 5D effectively, then they'd be better off
    using a good, inexpensive, simple camera that has hardly any
    learning curve and produces decent prints. It doesn't matter at all
    that a 5D can do much better in the hands of a good photographer.
    If the guy buying the $150 camera prints mostly 4"x6"s with the
    occasional 5"x7" or 8"x10" and doesn't wince when looking at them,
    but instead likes what he/she sees, then getting the cheaper camera
    would be a wiser decision. Ken has never said that purchasing a 5D
    is foolish. Purchasing a 5D when it would never come close to being
    used to its potential would be. (I said that!)

    > Of course, the point of the 5D is to make pretty 11x14" and larger prints,
    > and it does remarkably well at that. If one isn't making 11x14" and larger
    > prints, I'm not sure what the point of getting a 5D would be.

    Well now, we're in agreement, since I don't think you're including
    hideous 11"x14"s. For some people, hideous is the new pretty, and
    they do *not* need a 5D. :)
    ASAAR, Dec 10, 2006
  15. Kev

    dylan Guest

    I await the EOS3D, built on a similar spec to the EOS3, 'amateur' body
    but with the metering and AF of the EOS1D series. Between the 5D and
    the 1D's, just like the 3 was to the 5 and 1 series.
    dylan, Dec 10, 2006
  16. In article <w3Heh.458899$R63.198158@pd7urf1no>,
    Matt Ion <> wrote:
    >Simple: shoot film, especially the larger formats. I use 50 year old 4 x 5
    >cameras and lenses and they are as good as brand new. If you want to use digital
    >then you're going to have to deal with obsolescence."

    Except that with 4x5" I need 4 times longer lenses (compared to 35mm FF).
    So I would have to bring a 1200mm. Even medium format gets tricky at
    those fields of view.

    Philip Homburg, Dec 10, 2006
  17. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    []
    > Of course, the point of the 5D is to make pretty 11x14" and larger
    > prints, and it does remarkably well at that. If one isn't making
    > 11x14" and larger prints, I'm not sure what the point of getting a 5D
    > would be.
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Ultra-wide-angle, or doesn't it do that well enough?

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 10, 2006
  18. Kev

    Alan LeHun Guest

    In article <elfqtl$4lb$>, says...
    > For instance I have a Canon 300D. I will upgrade it
    > soon, probably to what follows on in the 20D-30D line.
    > I can wait because the 300D takes wonderful pictures
    > and I'm spending my money buying lenses that will work
    > just as well on my next camera.

    Likewise with my 350D. I wonder how well the EF-S lenses are selling
    because I certainly won't be buying any (not new, anyway, and probably
    not second hand either unless they are very very cheap) and I don't hear
    of anyone else appearing to be ready to part with cash for one.

    --
    Alan LeHun
    Alan LeHun, Dec 10, 2006
  19. In article <>, dylan
    <> writes

    >I await the EOS3D, built on a similar spec to the EOS3, 'amateur' body
    >but with the metering and AF of the EOS1D series. Between the 5D and
    >the 1D's, just like the 3 was to the 5 and 1 series.

    That won't happen - there would be far to many returns from people
    complaining that it only took flat, 2D pictures!
    --
    Kennedy
    Kennedy McEwen, Dec 10, 2006
  20. Kev

    Mark B. Guest

    "Kev" <0m(replacenumbersforletters)> wrote in
    message news:457b1261$0$8710$...
    > I've still to purchase my first digital SLR and have considered the EOS
    > 30D, I should be able to get my hands on one early next year but wonder if
    > it's waiting on the next model to be released. Prices keep falling and
    > specs get better, I realise that I'll have to take the plunge at some
    > point but, if there is a new release around the corner I'd prefer to wait
    > especially if the upgrade is worth it.
    >
    > I'm guessing the replacement for the 30D will be announced in August 2007,
    > be called 50D (apparently 4's are bad luck in some Asian countries) and
    > that it will incorporate a 10MP sensor with a built-in cleaner similar to
    > the new 400D.
    >
    > Anyone any thoughts on my predictions or predicament?

    It's anyone's guess what it will be called. Nikon recently announced a D40,
    so much for avoiding the number 4. Anyway, there's a chance the 30D
    successor will be announced in February. Remember, the D60 and 10D were
    only a year apart. So you might want to hang tight a couple months and see
    what Canon does.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 10, 2006