    well? i know there is some new lens for this camera with a short
    focus length, what effect will this cause with a standard lens?

    thanks!

    Ryan McConnell, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Ryan McConnell wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am considering moving my camera gear up a notch. I have long been a
    > convert to digital photography. I have an old EOS300 slr with a 35-80
    > lens and a sigma 100-300, in addition i have a Fuji finepix
    > s304(3800).
    > I saw the advert for the EOS300D, which got me thinking that perhaps
    > swopping my existing gear for a body only version of the EOS 300D and
    > keeping my two lenses.
    > I have found that the quality from the 3mp compact cameras and the
    > zoom just wasnt comparable to an slr, however the fact that
    > film...processing etc took so long and quality processors were hard to
    > find meant that i often used the fuji.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions... Will my lenses work
    > well? i know there is some new lens for this camera with a short
    > focus length, what effect will this cause with a standard lens?

    I made the same choice a couple of months ago, so naturally, I think
    you're a genius- or at least on the right track.

    Your lenses will work fine on the 300 D, but there is a 1.6 muliplier
    effect that changes a 100 mm lens for example to a 160mm lens,
    effectively. Some call it a crop factor, other call it a telephoto
    effect, and whole long threads have 'debated' the righteousness of
    either position.....

    Best of luck, and what a good choice. (!)

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Ryan McConnell

    Rudi Cheow Guest

    Just to throw another proposition into the mix:

    I was in a similar position a couple of weeks ago.

    I had a significant amount of Canon kit (lenses, remote release cable) that
    was collecting dust, and was trying to decide bewteen the 300D and the Nikon
    D70.

    The initially obvious choice was to go for the Canon as then I could use all
    my stuff with it. However, after further research and talking to my
    photographer friends, I decided ultimately to go with the Nikon, get new kit
    to go along with it and sell the Canon bits.

    I don't want to start a war regarding the merits of the 300D vs the D70, as
    this has been done many times, but just read the overall conclusion from
    dpreview.com (probably the most respected online reviewer of digital
    cameras) on this page:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page27.asp

    This basic implication is almost unanimous among the various review sites I
    read while researching my purchase.

    Both cameras are undoubtedly excellent, but if your budget isn't tight, you
    don't have a strong loyalty to the Canon brand and you can stomach the idea
    of replacing all your Canon bits, I'd say that the Nikon pips it in this
    segment of the market.

    Rudi

    Rudi Cheow, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Ryan McConnell

    stanb Guest

    you'de be better off getting the kit lense as well - 35mm isn't very wide
    and will have the Feild of view of a 56mm lense. that aside you shouldn't
    have too many problems with the 35-80 (canon i assume) but the sigma may
    need rechipping if its a few years old ( you wont know until you try it)
    WRT quality -with up to 8*10 prints you wont notice much difference between
    film and the DSLR, past A3 film may start to give better quality, but larger
    than that is really MF/LF territory anyway. Th e 300d will blow the fuji
    away tho...

    stanb, Sep 11, 2004