    meter zones, but it still freezes.
    Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....
    ;o) )

    Tumbleweed, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Tumbleweed

    traction Guest

    Some lens problem... Err 99 came up on mine when (Sigma Lens 28-300 as
    well ) the aperture began to get sticky on occasional shots ( Wouldn't close
    past about f8)...

    traction, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Tumbleweed

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <csqrsr$572$>,
    Tumbleweed <> wrote:
    >Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
    >Canon lens)
    >It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
    >In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
    >length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
    >The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
    >"catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
    >I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
    >meter zones, but it still freezes.
    >Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....

    It may not be helpful, but it's essentially the right answer. Some Sigma
    lenses are not fully compatible with all EOS cameras, and some camera models
    are fussier than others.

    If the lens is relatively new, you may be able to get Sigma to rechip it for
    you. If they won't, or can't do this, then you're stuck, I'm afraid.

    Chris Brown, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Tumbleweed

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
    > Canon lens)
    > It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
    > In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
    > length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
    > The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
    > "catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
    > I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
    > meter zones, but it still freezes.
    > Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....

    When using a Sigma lens of mine outside in very cold conditions, I got an
    "err 99" which I resolved by power-cycling the camera a few times, and it
    hasn't come back. You may want to try cleaning the electrical contacts on
    the lens and body, and then reseating the lens.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Tumbleweed

    RustY© Guest

    > Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
    > Canon lens)

    Sell the Smegma and buy a second hand Canon 75-300. Much cheaper, better
    quality and will work with the 300D and your next camera too. ( You can't
    afford to buy Smegma! )

    RustY©, Jan 21, 2005
  6. Tumbleweed

    AK Guest

    > Just bought a sigma 70-210 to use with my 300d. (Can't afford the proper
    > Canon lens)
    > It works OK from 85-210 on "P" and most of the Image Zone presets.
    > In any of the "Creative Zone" settings or on any setting using a focal
    > length less than 85 it freezes, with the message "Error 99"
    > The instruction book gives no help at all on error 99 - it appears to be a
    > "catch-all" for "oops - I cocked up"
    > I've tried changing from auto to manual focus and defining the focus and
    > meter zones, but it still freezes.
    > Any helpful suggestions? (Buy a Canon lens is not a helpful suggestion....
    > ;o) )

    One of my Sigma lenses won't work on the 300D, works frin on my EOS so it
    looks like it needs to be rechipped. This may be the same for you.
    Unfortunately not all older Sigma lenses work on canon DSLRs

    AK, Jan 21, 2005
  7. Tumbleweed

    Colic Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    > One of my Sigma lenses won't work on the 300D, works frin on my EOS so it
    > looks like it needs to be rechipped. This may be the same for you.
    > Unfortunately not all older Sigma lenses work on canon DSLRs

    For that matter not all Sigma lenses will work with all Canon cameras
    period, be they film or DSLR.

    Sigma reverse engineers the Canon EOS EF interface instead of licensing it
    from Canon, and for the most part they do a pretty good job of it. It
    generally works with all EOS cameras that are out at the time the lens is
    designed. But, Sigma has no way of knowing what new cameras will use what
    features of the EOS EF lens interface, and so as new Canon cameras come out
    the older lenses may, or may not, be compatible.

    The nice thing about buying a Canon EF lens is that you can be sure it will
    work with new Canon cameras when they come out.

    C!

    Colic, Jan 21, 2005