EOS 20D Firmware version 1.0.4 is available

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bart van der Wolf, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Bart van der Wolf, Oct 4, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gary Eickmeier, Oct 5, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Brian C. Baird, Oct 5, 2004
    #3
  4. Bart van der Wolf

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >
    >
    > Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    >
    >> FYI
    >>
    >> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html
    >>
    >> Bart

    >
    >
    > You maybe ought to see the Canon forum at dpreview before jumping right
    > in on this.
    >


    Why do you say that?

    To be sure, it has not worked for maybe 5% of 20Ds (based on dpreview
    posts). Either:

    o The specific camera needed to be sent to Canon service anyway; or
    o The owner did not do the upgrade *exactly* right.

    I did the upgrade. Took 10 minutes total. Works.

    Phil
     
    Phil Wheeler, Oct 5, 2004
    #4
  5. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    news:ZMm8d.51097$...
    SNIP
    > You maybe ought to see the Canon forum at dpreview before
    > jumping right in on this.


    Are you referring to the very few cases that failed, versus the huge
    majority that was successfully upgraded? Do note that one of the
    issues it's supposed to fix, is occasional communication problems with
    some CF cards. In those cases there is a risk involved of needing to
    send the camera in for a free? fix, or a swap at your dealer (if he
    has any units available). So the worst that can happen is that you'll
    be out of a camera for a while, unfortunate, but not the end of the
    world.

    I'd say if your (reputable brand) CF card hasn't given you any
    problems so far, and you want to solve a potential lock-up now and
    then, it's pretty safe to do.

    Bart
     
    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 5, 2004
    #5
  6. Bart van der Wolf

    Ryadia Guest

    Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >
    >
    > To be sure, it has not worked for maybe 5% of 20Ds (based on dpreview
    > posts). Either:
    >
    > o The specific camera needed to be sent to Canon service anyway; or
    > o The owner did not do the upgrade *exactly* right.
    >
    > I did the upgrade. Took 10 minutes total. Works.
    >
    > Phil
    >


    The basic concept that you only need to read the instructions when
    something goes wrong, is generally the reason something goes wrong.
     
    Ryadia, Oct 5, 2004
    #6
  7. "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message
    news:41626ad8$0$559$4all.nl...
    >
    > "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    > news:ZMm8d.51097$...
    > SNIP
    > > You maybe ought to see the Canon forum at dpreview before
    > > jumping right in on this.

    >
    > Are you referring to the very few cases that failed, versus the huge
    > majority that was successfully upgraded? Do note that one of the
    > issues it's supposed to fix, is occasional communication problems with
    > some CF cards. In those cases there is a risk involved of needing to
    > send the camera in for a free? fix, or a swap at your dealer (if he
    > has any units available). So the worst that can happen is that you'll
    > be out of a camera for a while, unfortunate, but not the end of the
    > world.
    >

    Huge majority? How many 20D owners even know about the new firmware? This
    arguement assumes that, all 20D owners know about and have applied the
    upgrade. As Canon hasn't informed anyone about this I suspect the number of
    upgrades is rather low. I work in photo retail and believe me Canon hasn't
    told the retailers around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen a
    couple cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    getting 20Ds a week ago.
     
    ~Darrell Larose~, Oct 5, 2004
    #7
  8. "~Darrell Larose~" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > news:41626ad8$0$559$4all.nl...

    SNIP
    > > Are you referring to the very few cases that failed, versus the

    huge
    > > majority that was successfully upgraded?

    SNIP

    > Huge majority?


    Of those that upgraded, yes.

    > How many 20D owners even know about the new firmware?


    I'd recon that most active ones are aware about the anticipated
    firmware update, or they will be when they experience a lock-up. There
    are also quite a few that have reported to postpone their puchase
    until the update was issued. I'll bet they checked all sources for
    news.

    > This arguement assumes that, all 20D owners know about and
    > have applied the upgrade.


    No, read again; ""... the huge majority that was successfully
    upgraded", not the huge majority of all owners. I'll rephrase: Of all
    the people that have applied the firmware upgrade, and posted about
    their experience, the huge majority reported a successful completion
    of the procedure.

    > As Canon hasn't informed anyone about this I suspect the number of
    > upgrades is rather low.


    Why? You may be underestimating the psychology of human behavior, read
    on.

    > I work in photo retail and believe me Canon hasn't told the

    retailers
    > around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen a couple
    > cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    > getting 20Ds a week ago.


    Active retailers keep themselves informed (like you do), and active
    users read newsgroups. In marketing it is also a well known phenomenon
    that recent purchasers of high value equipment are amongst the most
    active readers of information concerning their purchase. It has to do
    with the psychological need for reconfirmation of their choice. They
    are amongst the most attentive readers of advertizing about their e.g.
    camera. Good marketing recognizes that, and also targets recent
    purchasers (e.g. by issuing testimonials from opinion leaders). End of
    free consult.

    Bart
     
    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 5, 2004
    #8
  9. Bart van der Wolf

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Huge majority? How many 20D owners even know about the new firmware? This
    > arguement assumes that, all 20D owners know about and have applied the
    > upgrade. As Canon hasn't informed anyone about this I suspect the number of
    > upgrades is rather low. I work in photo retail and believe me Canon hasn't
    > told the retailers around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen a
    > couple cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    > getting 20Ds a week ago.
    >



    I think that the situation is probably more like 50/50...

    Remember how absolutely stupid the average person is, and then remember that
    half of everybody is dumber than that.

    Mostly (with a few exceptions) a person that knows enough to be able to post
    to a usenet group is above average, simply by virtue of being able to find
    it. (most people dont even know what "usenet" is or that it exists)

    Then you have to think about this:

    If a guy downloads the upgrade and is happy with it, will he post it
    to usenet???? Probably not right away. He is more likely to be out using his
    camera.. (like I was this AM)

    The posts you are going to read here are from two camps.

    1. The guys that did it and it failed because of mistake/cf card
    trouble/using battery instead of power-supply/ or any of a thousand ways to
    un-intentionally screw it up.

    2. The guys that will use ANY opertunity to bash Canon.

    In case anyone wonders, I dont own a Canon simply because the kind of work
    I've been doing with my cameras is not condusive to the survival of a DSLR.
    However, in the spring I'll be doing dog & cat shows in addition to the
    indoor/outdoor equestrian events I have done in the past (working toward
    full-time photography) hell, I've even been asked to do some weddings by the
    people who have seen my work.

    You had better believe there will be a 20D in my arsenal before spring, it
    will survive a dog show, or a cat show just fine.. (not likely to have the
    air saturated with fine powdered horse-dung/sand-dust)

    Im just waiting to decide which lenses to buy to go with it, so I can budget
    accordingly. It will be my FIRST Canon Digital Camera. (My Sony 717, 828,
    V1, and my Fuji will continue to do horse shows for another year unless I
    break one of them)


    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
     
    Larry, Oct 5, 2004
    #9
  10. Bart van der Wolf

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:38:04 -0400, "~Darrell Larose~" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >news:41626ad8$0$559$4all.nl...
    >>
    >> "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    >> news:ZMm8d.51097$...
    >> SNIP
    >> > You maybe ought to see the Canon forum at dpreview before
    >> > jumping right in on this.

    >>
    >> Are you referring to the very few cases that failed, versus the huge
    >> majority that was successfully upgraded? Do note that one of the
    >> issues it's supposed to fix, is occasional communication problems with
    >> some CF cards. In those cases there is a risk involved of needing to
    >> send the camera in for a free? fix, or a swap at your dealer (if he
    >> has any units available). So the worst that can happen is that you'll
    >> be out of a camera for a while, unfortunate, but not the end of the
    >> world.
    >>

    >Huge majority? How many 20D owners even know about the new firmware? This
    >arguement assumes that, all 20D owners know about and have applied the
    >upgrade. As Canon hasn't informed anyone about this I suspect the number of
    >upgrades is rather low. I work in photo retail and believe me Canon hasn't
    >told the retailers around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen a
    >couple cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    >getting 20Ds a week ago.
    >
    >
    >

    I understood Bart to say that, of those upgraded, the vast majority
    were successful.
    The clue, to me, was this:
    "Are you referring to the very few cases that failed, versus the huge
    majority that was successfully upgraded?"
    Note the "successfully upgraded" part. If they weren't upgraded, they
    couldn't have been "successfully upgraded", could they?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
     
    Big Bill, Oct 5, 2004
    #10
  11. Bart van der Wolf

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    ~Darrell Larose~ wrote:

    > "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > news:41626ad8$0$559$4all.nl...
    >
    >>"Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    >>news:ZMm8d.51097$...
    >>SNIP
    >>
    >>>You maybe ought to see the Canon forum at dpreview before
    >>>jumping right in on this.

    >>
    >>Are you referring to the very few cases that failed, versus the huge
    >>majority that was successfully upgraded? Do note that one of the
    >>issues it's supposed to fix, is occasional communication problems with
    >>some CF cards. In those cases there is a risk involved of needing to
    >>send the camera in for a free? fix, or a swap at your dealer (if he
    >>has any units available). So the worst that can happen is that you'll
    >>be out of a camera for a while, unfortunate, but not the end of the
    >>world.
    >>

    >
    > Huge majority? How many 20D owners even know about the new firmware? This
    > arguement assumes that, all 20D owners know about and have applied the
    > upgrade. As Canon hasn't informed anyone about this I suspect the number of
    > upgrades is rather low. I work in photo retail and believe me Canon hasn't
    > told the retailers around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen a
    > couple cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    > getting 20Ds a week ago.
    >


    Reference was to the dpreview forum and results posted there; but I
    assume you understand that and (as a retailer) know about the dpreview
    forums.

    Phil
     
    Phil Wheeler, Oct 5, 2004
    #11
  12. Bart van der Wolf

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    ~Darrell Larose~ wrote:

    > I work in photo retail and believe me Canon hasn't
    > told the retailers around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen a
    > couple cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    > getting 20Ds a week ago.
    >


    Wow! My dealer has been delivering the product to users for about three
    (maybe four) weeks. I got my 20D+ 17-85 kit (the last to arrive) 11
    days ago at my local dealer.

    Where are you that you are so late in getting product?

    Phil
     
    Phil Wheeler, Oct 5, 2004
    #12
  13. "Phil Wheeler" <> wrote in message
    news:zKA8d.3461$...
    >
    >
    > ~Darrell Larose~ wrote:
    >
    > > "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > > news:41626ad8$0$559$4all.nl...
    > >
    > >>"Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    > >>news:ZMm8d.51097$...
    > >>SNIP
    > >>
    > >>>You maybe ought to see the Canon forum at dpreview before
    > >>>jumping right in on this.
    > >>
    > >>Are you referring to the very few cases that failed, versus the huge
    > >>majority that was successfully upgraded? Do note that one of the
    > >>issues it's supposed to fix, is occasional communication problems with
    > >>some CF cards. In those cases there is a risk involved of needing to
    > >>send the camera in for a free? fix, or a swap at your dealer (if he
    > >>has any units available). So the worst that can happen is that you'll
    > >>be out of a camera for a while, unfortunate, but not the end of the
    > >>world.
    > >>

    > >
    > > Huge majority? How many 20D owners even know about the new firmware?

    This
    > > arguement assumes that, all 20D owners know about and have applied the
    > > upgrade. As Canon hasn't informed anyone about this I suspect the number

    of
    > > upgrades is rather low. I work in photo retail and believe me Canon

    hasn't
    > > told the retailers around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen

    a
    > > couple cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    > > getting 20Ds a week ago.
    > >

    >
    > Reference was to the dpreview forum and results posted there; but I
    > assume you understand that and (as a retailer) know about the dpreview
    > forums.
    >

    Sad part is I do! However Canon Canada has yet to admit there was an issue
    with the 20D. The other sad part is the number of non-specialty stores that
    sell the product who's only service is to collect the CDN $2,000 for the
    body...
     
    ~Darrell Larose~, Oct 5, 2004
    #13
  14. "Phil Wheeler" <> wrote in message
    news:lNA8d.3463$...
    >
    >
    > ~Darrell Larose~ wrote:
    >
    > > I work in photo retail and believe me Canon hasn't
    > > told the retailers around here there is an upgrade. I have however seen

    a
    > > couple cameras that have exhibited the lockup, and we've only started
    > > getting 20Ds a week ago.
    > >

    >
    > Wow! My dealer has been delivering the product to users for about three
    > (maybe four) weeks. I got my 20D+ 17-85 kit (the last to arrive) 11
    > days ago at my local dealer.
    >
    > Where are you that you are so late in getting product?
    >
    > Phil
    >

    Canon Canada had started shipping September 20th, many retailers are taking
    deposits and adding people to a waiting list. I don't like not having
    product on the shelf, but Nikon is pretty much doing the same with D70s. I
    have about 10 on back-order.
     
    ~Darrell Larose~, Oct 5, 2004
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. et

    10D Firmware Update version 1.0.1 available

    et, Jul 18, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    403
    Mark M
    Jul 20, 2003
  2. Phil Wheeler

    Canon EOS 20D Firmware Update Available Tomorrow (Fri)

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 30, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    650
    Phil Wheeler
    Oct 3, 2004
  3. SmartAzz

    Firmware version 1.1.0 for Canon 20D

    SmartAzz, Dec 7, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    428
  4. Leith Cassone

    EOS 20D Firmware Upgrade

    Leith Cassone, May 13, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    425
    SamSez
    May 14, 2005
  5. Ivan

    EOS 20D vs. EOS Rebel XT?

    Ivan, Aug 19, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    478
    Go-dot
    Aug 23, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page