    point in waiting?

    Thanks

    Mike
    Mike, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Mike

    Mark B. Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:c097q1$c65$...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera soon, and make the switch from
    > film completely. I curently have canon lenses and bodies, and I've been
    > looking at the EOS 10D a good bit. I was wondering if canon is planning

    on
    > releasing a successor to the 10D anytime soon at all? or is there even a
    > point in waiting?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    No point in waiting, as anybody that knows for sure can't say. The 10D is
    still a teriffic camera even if something new comes out next week. I got
    the D30 a month before the D60 came out and amazingly enough I was still
    really pleased with the images.

    Mark
    Mark B., Feb 10, 2004

  3. Mike

    The Dave© Guest

    > Mark B. wrote:
    > No point in waiting, as anybody that knows for sure can't say. The
    > 10D is still a teriffic camera even if something new comes out next
    > week. I got the D30 a month before the D60 came out and amazingly
    > enough I was still really pleased with the images.

    I'm in a similar situation. For me, if it would be out in a month or
    so, I'd wait. If it's three months or more, I would not wait.

    --
    The reason New Yorkers are so angry and depressed is because the light
    at the end if the tunnel is New Jersey.
    The Dave©, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Mike

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Mike"

    >I was wondering if canon is planning on
    >releasing a successor to the 10D anytime soon at all?

    Should find out in the next few days since the PMA show opens Feb 12 and Canon
    is already pre-announcing other new products. Typically they announce either
    at this show or the one in September.

    >or is there even a point in waiting?

    The past three years people who waited got either lower prices or substantially
    more mpixels at the same or lower price. Since it's just a few days why rush
    in now?
    Bill Hilton, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Mike

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mark B. wrote:

    > No point in waiting, as anybody that knows for sure can't say. The 10D is
    > still a teriffic camera even if something new comes out next week. I got
    > the D30 a month before the D60 came out and amazingly enough I was still
    > really pleased with the images.
    >
    > Mark

    That's a great statement. Judging from some reactions to the
    ever-improving digi's, you would think that older digi's somehow perform
    worse than when they were new...

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Mike

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera soon, and make the switch from
    > film completely. I curently have canon lenses and bodies, and I've been
    > looking at the EOS 10D a good bit. I was wondering if canon is planning on
    > releasing a successor to the 10D anytime soon at all? or is there even a
    > point in waiting?

    The PMA show begins in a few days, all the BIG announcements will happen
    on the first day. After that you should be 'stable' to decide.

    Consider also that a lot of pre-owned D60's will be on the market and
    that might be a better place to start, esp. if there is a new 10D killer
    .... hold out D60 owners will leapfrog to the new model.

    Waiting, why not? The digi industry has not plateau'd at all for
    improvements. Canon's leading statistic appears to be the releasing of
    new cameras.

    Waiting, why? If you're burning through rolls of film to make 4x6's and
    the odd enlargement to 8x12, then a D60/10D will pay off quickly enough.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    sweet, thanks for the info. I'm not planning on gettin the camera soon...or
    I should say - I dont NEED it soon. Come may/june I'll def. need it. Ill
    keep an eye out for that PMA show and the newsgroups as well. thanks for
    the info!

    Mike
    Mike, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Mike

    Thebigone Guest

    I would wait for the 10D successor

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera soon, and make the switch from
    > film completely. I curently have canon lenses and bodies, and I've been
    > looking at the EOS 10D a good bit. I was wondering if canon is planning

    on
    > releasing a successor to the 10D anytime soon at all? or is there even a
    > point in waiting?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    2005PMA will announce the 10D Mark II with 8mp 1.3 sensor
    Thebigone, Feb 10, 2004
  9. Mike

    Mark B. Guest

    Re: I would wait for the 10D successor

    "Thebigone" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera soon, and make the switch

    from
    > > film completely. I curently have canon lenses and bodies, and I've been
    > > looking at the EOS 10D a good bit. I was wondering if canon is planning

    > on
    > > releasing a successor to the 10D anytime soon at all? or is there even

    > > point in waiting?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > 2005PMA will announce the 10D Mark II with 8mp 1.3 sensor

    Wait for 2010, a 10D-class camera will have a full frame 12mp sensor and run
    at 8fps all for $1,200.

    Mark
    Mark B., Feb 10, 2004
  10. Mike

    Ed E. Guest

    I'm expecting some announcement within 2 weeks, but I'm not privy to any
    special info. Just using history as a gauge.
    Ed E., Feb 10, 2004
  11. Mike

    The Dave© Guest

    > Alan Browne wrote:
    > > No point in waiting, as anybody that knows for sure can't say. The
    > > 10D is still a teriffic camera even if something new comes out next
    > > week. I got the D30 a month before the D60 came out and amazingly
    > > enough I was still really pleased with the images.
    > >
    > > Mark

    > That's a great statement. Judging from some reactions to the
    > ever-improving digi's, you would think that older digi's somehow
    > perform worse than when they were new...

    I don't read it that way at all. I read it as if you're going to spend
    the money, and having right now is not absolutely necessary, why not
    wait a month or so and get the newer version. It's only a month. Big
    whoop! I don't see where anyone has even implied that the older stuff
    is garbage.
    The Dave©, Feb 10, 2004
  12. Mike

    S. Guest

    No but it's the usual buyer's remorse about not having the "latest and
    greatest"

    S., Feb 10, 2004
  13. Mike

    The Dave© Guest

    > S. wrote:

    > No but it's the usual buyer's remorse about not having the "latest and
    > greatest"

    There is that, yes. And I know that some do not suffer from it while
    some do.

    I know that an older version does not automatically take crappy photos
    when the new version comes out, but theoretically anyway, the newer one
    will take better photos, or may at least be more solid and reliable or
    have some new useful feature. If that's the case, and you don't need
    it right away, then I see no harm in waiting another month or so.

    The Dave©, Feb 11, 2004
  14. Mike

    Mark B. Guest

    "Ed E." <> wrote in message
    > I'm expecting some announcement within 2 weeks, but I'm not privy to any
    > special info. Just using history as a gauge.

    The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
    that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

    Mark
    Mark B., Feb 11, 2004
  15. Mike

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> I'm expecting some announcement within 2 weeks, but I'm not privy to any
    >> special info. Just using history as a gauge.

    >From: "Mark B."
    >
    >The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
    >that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

    If I have the dates right, the D30 came out in Sept 2000 at $3,000.

    In December 2001 or thereabouts the price dropped to $2,400 with a 1 GB IBM
    microdrive tossed in.

    In Feb 2002 (18 months after the D30 intro) the D60 was announced, twice the
    megapixels but only $1,999. Surely the majority of people who bought the D30
    shortly before this had to be disappointed, regardless of what you read now.

    In Feb 2003 the 10D was announced for $1,499, same # of megapixels but several
    new, better features compared to the D60.

    That's probably why so many people are saying wait for the PMA show later this
    week, just in case.
    Bill Hilton, Feb 11, 2004
  16. Mike

    leo Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm expecting some announcement within 2 weeks, but I'm not privy to

    any
    > >> special info. Just using history as a gauge.

    > >From: "Mark B."
    > >
    > >The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
    > >that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

    > If I have the dates right, the D30 came out in Sept 2000 at $3,000.
    >
    > In December 2001 or thereabouts the price dropped to $2,400 with a 1 GB

    IBM
    > microdrive tossed in.
    >
    > In Feb 2002 (18 months after the D30 intro) the D60 was announced, twice

    the
    > megapixels but only $1,999. Surely the majority of people who bought the

    D30
    > shortly before this had to be disappointed, regardless of what you read

    now.

    > In Feb 2003 the 10D was announced for $1,499, same # of megapixels but

    several
    > new, better features compared to the D60.
    >
    > That's probably why so many people are saying wait for the PMA show later

    this
    > week, just in case.

    The upgrade from D30 to D60 was dramatic but D60 to 10D was incremental. I
    don't see Canon has a second new sensor coming out except the one for 1D
    Mark II, so I am comfortable that there won't be anything happening in the
    entry level DSLRs. The price of Digital Rebel may drop but considering it's
    rock bottom price [not just the manufacturing cost but amortizing the R&D
    cost as well], it won't be as deep as others in the past.
    leo, Feb 11, 2004
  17. Mike

    Ed E. Guest

    > The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
    > that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

    The trend is that when they're about to introduce a new dSLR body, supply of
    the model being discontinued starts running dry about a month or two prior.
    I've noticed in the last month that more and more places are complaining
    that the 10D is hard to get, so I'd suspect a replacement is coming out in
    the next couple of weeks.

    I wonder if the shortage of 50mm f/1.8 II is indicative of anything.....
    Ed E., Feb 11, 2004
  18. Mike

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ed E. writes:

    >> The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
    >> that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

    >The trend is that when they're about to introduce a new dSLR body, supply of
    >the model being discontinued starts running dry about a month or two prior.
    >I've noticed in the last month that more and more places are complaining
    >that the 10D is hard to get, so I'd suspect a replacement is coming out in
    >the next couple of weeks.
    >
    >I wonder if the shortage of 50mm f/1.8 II is indicative of anything.....

    Don't I remember the 10D being hard to get since Day 1? Serious underestimate
    of immediate demand and the 300D coming out not long afterwards kept production
    down.

    Charlie Self
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of
    a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

    Charlie Self, Feb 11, 2004
  19. Mike

    Ed E. Guest

    > Don't I remember the 10D being hard to get since Day 1? Serious

    underestimate
    > of immediate demand and the 300D coming out not long afterwards kept

    production
    > down.

    They'd usually get filled within one week - two at the most. It seems that
    Europe dries up first, and some dealers there are being told that the 10D is
    going to be phased out. I don't know if that's true or not, but I guess
    time will tell.
    Ed E., Feb 11, 2004
  20. Mike

    Guest

    Re: I would wait for the 10D successor

    In message <>,
    "Mark B." <> wrote:

    >Wait for 2010, a 10D-class camera will have a full frame 12mp sensor and run
    >at 8fps all for $1,200.

    I would expect a "10D=class" camera to maintain the 10D's pixel pitch.
    What kind of "update" reduces a camera's ability to take advantage of
    the resolution of a given lens? A 10D-class full sensor camera would
    require at least 16 MP.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Feb 11, 2004