    Porirua, NZ
    Spamblocked address - do the obvious
    "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepeneur" - George W Bush

    Si, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Si

    MarkH Guest

    Si <> wrote in
    news::

    > How long does it take an EOS D10 to become ready to take photos from
    > the instant of switching on? Presumably there will be some boot-up
    > time as the camera runs through self tests and things.

    It does have a delay of 2.3 seconds. I never really notice it though.
    Whenever I take my 10D out of the bag I turn it on and put the neck strap
    over my head, then I bring the camera to my eye and it is ready to go. I
    don’t turn it off until I am putting it back into the bag. Being on
    continuously for a few hours wont completely flatten the battery.

    If you are in a situation where you want to take a photo in a split second,
    have the camera turned on and in your hand ready to go, then all you need
    to do is bring it up to your eye and click.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Si

    Guest Guest

    Si> How long does it take an EOS D10 to become ready to take photos from
    Si> the instant of switching on? Presumably there will be some boot-up
    Si> time as the camera runs through self tests and things.

    About 2 seconds.

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)

    Guest, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Si

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 17/7/03 1:36 pm, "MarkH" <> wrote:

    > It does have a delay of 2.3 seconds. I never really notice it though.
    > Whenever I take my 10D out of the bag I turn it on and put the neck strap
    > over my head, then I bring the camera to my eye and it is ready to go. I
    > don’t turn it off until I am putting it back into the bag. Being on
    > continuously for a few hours wont completely flatten the battery.

    I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay does
    become rather annoying after a while.

    What I don't really understand is why it would draw enough power when idle
    to warrant powering it down. What on earth would it be doing apart from
    keeping the electronics ticking over?

    Pat
    --
    Photos at:
    http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?Format=Cell&AcctID=1251

    Pat Chaney, Jul 19, 2003
  5. Si

    MarkH Guest

    Pat Chaney <> wrote in news:BB3ECA8D.36E31%:

    > I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay
    > does become rather annoying after a while.
    >
    > What I don't really understand is why it would draw enough power when
    > idle to warrant powering it down. What on earth would it be doing
    > apart from keeping the electronics ticking over?

    It doesn’t draw much at all. That’s why I changed my auto-power off to 30
    minutes, that way it never turns itself off unless I forget to myself.

    I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
    battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
    that test and could post their results.

    So far I rarely flatten one battery in a day, and I have never flattened 2.

    MarkH, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Si

    Lionel Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:00:01 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bfb8bg$igp$>, MarkH <> said:

    >Pat Chaney <> wrote in news:BB3ECA8D.36E31%:
    >
    >> I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay
    >> does become rather annoying after a while.
    >>
    >> What I don't really understand is why it would draw enough power when
    >> idle to warrant powering it down. What on earth would it be doing
    >> apart from keeping the electronics ticking over?

    >It doesn’t draw much at all. That’s why I changed my auto-power off to 30
    >minutes, that way it never turns itself off unless I forget to myself.

    Yes, I set mine for 15 minutes, or 30 if I'm doing complicated night
    shots where I'm waiting for the right light, clouds, etc.

    >I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
    >battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
    >that test and could post their results.

    If you turn off powersave completely, the battery indicator will show it
    being low after a few hours or so. (This is very approximate, because
    I've only ever done it by accident, when I've turned off powersave while
    trying to get the &^@%#$!#! USB drivers to work.

    >So far I rarely flatten one battery in a day, and I have never flattened 2.

    Same here.

    Lionel, Jul 19, 2003
  7. > I've found that with auto-power off enabled the 10D start-up delay does
    > become rather annoying after a while.

    One of the first "features" I turned off.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 19, 2003
  8. > I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
    > battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
    > that test and could post their results.

    I've left the camera turned on overnight on purpose (to drain the
    batteries). Fully charged, you can leave it on overnight with no
    problems. Don't leave the review screen on though.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Si

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 19/7/03 12:00 pm, "MarkH" <> wrote:

    > It doesn’t draw much at all. That’s why I changed my auto-power off to 30
    > minutes, that way it never turns itself off unless I forget to myself.
    >
    > I might have to set the auto-power off to never and see how long the
    > battery will power the camera on idle, unless someone else has already done
    > that test and could post their results.
    >
    > So far I rarely flatten one battery in a day, and I have never flattened 2.

    It seems that the default of 1 minute for the auto-power off is
    inappropriate then. I think I'll set mine to 30 mins too.

    Pat

    Pat Chaney, Jul 19, 2003
  10. I turned it off because it serves no useful purpose. Although I may
    be in the twilight years of my life, I can still remember to turn the
    camera on and off.

    Besides, I could envision a scenario where I'd be doing something and
    the thing would shut off on it's own at an inopportune moment.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 19, 2003
  11. Si

    Lionel Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:17:59 -0700, in
    <190720031017596357%>, Randall Ainsworth
    <> said:

    > Besides, I could envision a scenario where I'd be doing something and
    >the thing would shut off on it's own at an inopportune moment.

    No need to envision it, it happened to me a few times before I changed
    the time out to something more sensible than 1 minute. ;)

    Lionel, Jul 19, 2003
  12. Si

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 19/7/03 5:53 pm, "dslr" <> wrote:

    >> It seems that the default of 1 minute for the auto-power off is
    >> inappropriate then. I think I'll set mine to 30 mins too.
    >>

    > First menu change I made was to turn Auto-Off off - same as on my D30.

    On a slightly different note, any idea why there is no option for Raw only,
    without the embedded JPEG?

    Pat

    Pat Chaney, Jul 19, 2003
  13. Si

    dslr Guest

    Pat Chaney wrote:

    > On 19/7/03 5:53 pm, "dslr" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> It seems that the default of 1 minute for the auto-power off is
    > >> inappropriate then. I think I'll set mine to 30 mins too.
    > >>

    > > First menu change I made was to turn Auto-Off off - same as on my D30.

    > On a slightly different note, any idea why there is no option for Raw only,
    > without the embedded JPEG?

    Not really - it may be that the Canon-provided software needs the JPEG
    for the browser display. I think that was the case for the D30, which
    has no choice over the size/quality of the embedded JPEG at all.

    I can't be certain, since I never loaded any of the Canon software
    (apart from TWAIN drivers) for my D30 and have no intention of doing so
    for my 10D either. I haven't heard anything particularly good about it,
    apart from it not being quite as bad as that which came with the D30 -
    indeed Andy Rouse described it as "almost as handy as the West Ham
    defence" ;-)

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 19, 2003
  14. Si

    MarkH Guest

    Pat Chaney <> wrote in news:BB3F2D70.36F28%:

    > On 19/7/03 12:00 pm, "MarkH" <> wrote:
    >
    >> It doesn’t draw much at all. That’s why I changed my auto-power off
    >> to 30 minutes, that way it never turns itself off unless I forget to
    >> myself.

    > It seems that the default of 1 minute for the auto-power off is
    > inappropriate then. I think I'll set mine to 30 mins too.

    Was the default 1 minute? 1 minute! Geeezuus!

    I had forgotten what it was, I changed it the night I got home with my new
    camera. The reason seems obvious now. 1 Minute! Bloody Hell!

    Seriously what were Canon thinking there?

    With 30 minutes the camera never turns off while I am using it, but if I
    should forget to turn it off, I’ll probably only lose about 10% of the
    batteries charge. 15 minutes would probably be OK too.

    Shit, 1 Minute!

    MarkH, Jul 19, 2003
  15. > Not really - it may be that the Canon-provided software needs the JPEG
    > for the browser display. I think that was the case for the D30, which
    > has no choice over the size/quality of the embedded JPEG at all.

    That's my guess too.

    > I can't be certain, since I never loaded any of the Canon software
    > (apart from TWAIN drivers) for my D30 and have no intention of doing so
    > for my 10D either. I haven't heard anything particularly good about it,
    > apart from it not being quite as bad as that which came with the D30 -
    > indeed Andy Rouse described it as "almost as handy as the West Ham
    > defence" ;-)

    I loaded it and it's OK, but I prefer the Adobe RAW plugins.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 19, 2003
  16. Si

    dslr Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > > Not really - it may be that the Canon-provided software needs the JPEG
    > > for the browser display. I think that was the case for the D30, which
    > > has no choice over the size/quality of the embedded JPEG at all.

    > That's my guess too.
    >
    > > I can't be certain, since I never loaded any of the Canon software
    > > (apart from TWAIN drivers) for my D30 and have no intention of doing so
    > > for my 10D either. I haven't heard anything particularly good about it,
    > > apart from it not being quite as bad as that which came with the D30 -
    > > indeed Andy Rouse described it as "almost as handy as the West Ham
    > > defence" ;-)

    > I loaded it and it's OK, but I prefer the Adobe RAW plugins.

    That the one that has to be hacked to get it to know about the 10D?

    I just upgraded my copy of Breezebrowser to the latest version to get
    10D support, I've been using it for the D30 for some 18 months so I'm
    used to it. I will be trying out Capture1 LE sometime to see what that's
    like.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 19, 2003
  17. Si

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 19/7/03 10:40 pm, "dslr" <> wrote:

    >> On a slightly different note, any idea why there is no option for Raw only,
    >> without the embedded JPEG?

    > Not really - it may be that the Canon-provided software needs the JPEG
    > for the browser display. I think that was the case for the D30, which
    > has no choice over the size/quality of the embedded JPEG at all.

    Yes, I wondered that too - but it would be nice to be able to turn the JPEG
    off to save space, as I believe you can on the 1D and/or 1Ds. I use the
    Adobe Raw plug-in and as far as I know it doesn't need the JPEG for the
    display. Still, it sounds like a big improvement over the D30.

    > I can't be certain, since I never loaded any of the Canon software
    > (apart from TWAIN drivers) for my D30 and have no intention of doing so
    > for my 10D either. I haven't heard anything particularly good about it,
    > apart from it not being quite as bad as that which came with the D30 -
    > indeed Andy Rouse described it as "almost as handy as the West Ham
    > defence" ;-)

    I was expecting the Canon software to be crap and it certainly lived down to
    that expectation :) I didn't spend long trying the FVU, but from what I hear
    it is functional despite the awful interface. I've never tried the
    ImageBrowser, nor found a need to.

    Pat

    Pat Chaney, Jul 20, 2003
  18. Si

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 19/7/03 11:32 pm, "dslr" <> wrote:

    >> I loaded it and it's OK, but I prefer the Adobe RAW plugins.

    > That the one that has to be hacked to get it to know about the 10D?

    It's only a simple text change with a hex editor though.

    > I just upgraded my copy of Breezebrowser to the latest version to get
    > 10D support, I've been using it for the D30 for some 18 months so I'm
    > used to it. I will be trying out Capture1 LE sometime to see what that's
    > like.

    Capture One seems to be regarded as the best by many. Unfortunately they
    only do an LE version for Windows, not the Mac - and even the current Mac
    Pro version (at $599) doesn't support the 10D until October (even with a hex
    editor!).

    There are no plans for a Mac LE version either according to Phase One.

    Pat

    Pat Chaney, Jul 20, 2003
  19. Si

    dslr Guest

    Pat Chaney wrote:

    > On 19/7/03 10:40 pm, "dslr" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> On a slightly different note, any idea why there is no option for Raw only,
    > >> without the embedded JPEG?

    > > Not really - it may be that the Canon-provided software needs the JPEG
    > > for the browser display. I think that was the case for the D30, which
    > > has no choice over the size/quality of the embedded JPEG at all.

    > Yes, I wondered that too - but it would be nice to be able to turn the JPEG
    > off to save space, as I believe you can on the 1D and/or 1Ds. I use the
    > Adobe Raw plug-in and as far as I know it doesn't need the JPEG for the
    > display. Still, it sounds like a big improvement over the D30.

    You could set it to Small-Coarse - that should give the least overhead.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 20, 2003