    experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.

    Tks in advance.

    John

    John, Sep 27, 2003

  2. John

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    No experience with it and I do not have a 10D. The 300D has a cleaning
    mode and manual says:

    o Use a squeeze bulb
    o Do not use one with a brush
    o Do not use an aerosol
    o Best have done by service center.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 27, 2003

  3. John

    Poch Guest

    I was always told never to use compressed air on a digital sensor - you will
    blow it away!

    Poch, Sep 27, 2003
  4. John

    Robertwgross Guest

    John wrote:
    >has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
    >10D? ...

    If you check it, the Canon EOS 10D does not have a CCD sensor.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Sep 27, 2003
  5. John

    Lisa Horton Guest

    John wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
    > 10D? I have found it just about impossible to remove dust, at small
    > apertures the presence of dust is making shots un-usable. I have used a
    > hand pump to try to remove it, but with no joy. I am considering an aerosol
    > spray, but was warned to be careful about which one I use, as some expel
    > small amounts of liquid which can damage the CCD.
    >
    > Any advice/hits would be gratefully received, as this is spoiling my
    > experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.

    I waited until I had a can of spray air that was almost empty, no liquid
    left in it. That did the trick for me.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 27, 2003
  6. John

    Cole Guest

    Let's not pick on the guy for nomenclature. CMOS cleaning is a bit
    intimidating and the best source of metjods and materieal that I have
    uncovered is on Roger cavanaugh's site at
    :http://www.rogercavanagh.com/helpinfo/09_cleaning.htm

    Hope this helps, John.

    /c

    Cole, Sep 27, 2003
  7. John

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <EDgdb.11$>, jmm85
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
    > 10D? I have found it just about impossible to remove dust, at small
    > apertures the presence of dust is making shots un-usable. I have used a
    > hand pump to try to remove it, but with no joy. I am considering an aerosol
    > spray, but was warned to be careful about which one I use, as some expel
    > small amounts of liquid which can damage the CCD.
    >
    > Any advice/hits would be gratefully received, as this is spoiling my
    > experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.
    >
    > Tks in advance.
    >
    > John

    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

    The first link is the best I've seen. Read the instructions *VERY*
    carefully and read them at least twice. If you make a mistake, it will
    be a very costly one.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 27, 2003
  8. John

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Phil Wheeler wrote:

    > No experience with it and I do not have a 10D. The 300D has a cleaning
    > mode and manual says:
    >
    > o Use a squeeze bulb
    > o Do not use one with a brush
    > o Do not use an aerosol
    > o Best have done by service center.

    I agree with the first three points.. but not point four.

    At $100.00 a pop it's little wonder Canon wants you to send the camera to a
    repair depot then wait a week or so before you get the camera back every time
    you get a few bits of dust on the sensor that won't blow off.

    This idea doesn't appeal to me..

    You can wet clean the sensor successfully.. I did it with Photosol Pads and
    Eclipse liquid. I'm sure Canon uses a similar method at their depot.

    The surface of the sensor is pretty durable. You can wipe it with a soft dust
    free pad made for the purpose that's been dampened with a proper cleaning
    fluid.

    Just be aware if you do manage to screw up the sensor, you're looking at an
    $800.00 repair bill..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 27, 2003
  9. John

    Nils Rostedt Guest

    "Todd Walker" wrote..

    > http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    > http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
    >
    > The first link is the best I've seen. Read the instructions *VERY*
    > carefully and read them at least twice. If you make a mistake, it will
    > be a very costly one.

    Great links, thanks!

    Being from outside the US ( I 'm in Finland) and never having seen a PecPad
    or Eclipse fluid, I'd appreciate if someone could describe what those things
    are and how they differ from common tissue paper and window cleaning
    detergent ;-)
    I guess I can get similar products in the local stores under other brand
    names, but I'd like to understand what to look for.

    TIA
    Nils

    Nils Rostedt, Sep 27, 2003
  10. John

    John Guest

    Many thanks for all the advice - and especially for the links, which are
    excellent.

    John

    John, Sep 27, 2003
  11. John

    BUNTOVNIK Guest

    "Nils Rostedt" <> wrote in message

    > Being from outside the US ( I 'm in Finland) and never having seen a

    PecPad
    > or Eclipse fluid, I'd appreciate if someone could describe what those

    things
    > are and how they differ from common tissue paper and window cleaning
    > detergent ;-)
    > I guess I can get similar products in the local stores under other brand
    > names, but I'd like to understand what to look for.

    Not so sure you'll be able to find similar products in every local store. I
    live in Europe too (Croatia) and have made some investigation, but with
    little succes. Eclipse is made especially for cleaning sensors, and has been
    proved to be the best for the job. It is higly refined liquid that
    evaporates almost the very instant it touches glass surface, and leaves no
    streaks behing. I considered ordering it from USA, but it cannot board
    airplanes since it
    is flammable. Waiting for months for it to arrive by ship was not acceptable
    for me and it was also very complicated since most of the mail shipments go
    by planes. PecPad is covered with special cloth also made specially for
    digital sensors. The difference between regular tissue paper and PecPad
    cloth is that tissues almost always leave small cloth fibers behind, which
    of course is not good at all. There are also air blowers, but they too
    require special care. I found one product (also in USA) made of pressurised
    containers and small air gun, also made for digicams. It had no liquid at
    all (100% air) so there's no risk from blowing liquid to your sensor glass
    and making things much worse. Most of other pressurised air blowers have
    liquid residue, thus they're not recommended to be used with digital
    cameras.

    In the end, I took my EOS 10D to Canon service center in Zagreb and had it
    cleaned the same day. It costed me only 15 euros, and the girl and the
    service guy were really cooperative (I called the day early and asked them
    to clean the camera in one day since I don't live in the same town) so it
    was pretty much a nice experience in the end for me.

    Good luck with the search!

    --
    ----------------------
    online photo portfolio

    BUNTOVNIK, Sep 27, 2003
  12. John

    John Guest

    Re: EOS 10D and dust - European dealers for Eclipse

    Hi,

    in following the links other people sent me I came across this page:
    http://www.photosol.com/ for dealers worldwide for the manufactures of
    Eclipse and PecPads - there are several places in Europe which might ship to
    Croatia and Finland by land. Good luck!

    John

    John, Sep 28, 2003
  13. John

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >

    >>No experience with it and I do not have a 10D. The 300D has a cleaning
    >>mode and manual says:
    >>
    >>o Use a squeeze bulb
    >>o Do not use one with a brush
    >>o Do not use an aerosol
    >>o Best have done by service center.

    > I agree with the first three points.. but not point four.
    >
    > At $100.00 a pop it's little wonder Canon wants you to send the camera to a
    > repair depot then wait a week or so before you get the camera back every time
    > you get a few bits of dust on the sensor that won't blow off.

    I was not making a recommendation, only reporting what the manual said.

    My guess is that if it was really a service center deal, they would not
    have a special mode in the camera for cleaning the focal plane.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 29, 2003