Environment Variables in WinXPpro? (Also missing AUTOEXEC.BAT)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Technot So Saavy, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. I have a question.

    So, here's the question:

    (whew, it's hard to formulate the question)

    The question is where'd the correct file go? If you've taken it, *give*
    *me* *back* *my* *file* - *now* or I'll report ya to the Spam kops!

    All my malware scans are coming up clean, and every other thing seems to
    be normal and stable as far as routine day-to-day operations are going.

    OK, like if I want to ping, I have to launch WindowsXP Command Prompt
    interface, and then change directories [from the current user account] by
    drilling down to C:\Windows\System32 before Windows will recognize the
    "ping.exe" [or any other small Windows utility in that directory - like
    tracert or tracert6, etc.].

    So, what's up with that?

    Otherwise I get this response if I enter "ping 204.1.226.228" [for
    example only]: "'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external
    command, operable program or batch file." - then I am returned to the
    current directory's prompt. Until I drill down, then it works.

    I could probably do a workaround and create an autoexec.bat on C:\ and
    direct "command" to the directory, but how do I make it a [hidden and
    protected] system file, and where did it go, and where can I get another
    one, and where is the file that contains the Environment Variables [the
    *file*, not the system interface] - and then isn't this merely a cheesy
    workaround when somewhere in my system it should be directing common and
    usual Command Prompt entries to the correct WinXP directory?

    Thanks for any accurate information on this perplexing Windows conundrum.
    Technot So Saavy, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Technot So Saavy

    °Mike° Guest

    Control Panel / System / Advanced tab.
    Press the 'Environment Variables' button.

    For the system variables you should have at least:

    ComSpec
    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

    Path
    %SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

    PATHEXT
    ..COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

    Windir
    %SystemRoot%

    On 19 Dec 2004 17:17:26 GMT, in
    <Xns95C4732A7F031here@67.98.68.25>
    Technot So Saavy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Here's what else is happening:

    the "path" string:

    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM

    is there; however, in an HP laptop with an ATI shared memory setup, there
    is a string appended to that [above] string: "*\WBEM;ATI[yadda yadda]
    (could go over there and boot it up, and copy that exact string and then
    post it here, if anyone thinks it'll help or if it could be essential to
    unraveling this most strange of predicaments)

    and that's the workstation which is aberrent to the others - also, as I
    mentioned the AUTOEXEC.BAT hidden system file is missing... Coincidence?
    I think perhaps not! Now it seems my options may not be limited to:

    1) create an autoexec.bat file - but I can't seem to make it a system
    file;

    2) copy a 0-byte system file from another workstation, and then edit it;

    but

    I was wondering if those Environment Variables values extract, or
    extrapolate from within one of Windows XP's other dat or ini files, or
    where they come from initially. If they come pre-loaded with the system
    install, then I'm wondering how the foregoing ATI appendage happened, and
    what I can do to work it out:

    What I'm wondering is if I can get some help figuring out a) what
    happened to the file in the first place; b) why in the www wwworld ATI
    would append a string onto an essential variable; and if anyone has ever
    seen a similar situation and dealt with it so they could resume and be
    able to use the Command Prompt with ease?

    Reckon I just add some Path value for the Command Prompt's benefit, and
    leave the ATI string alone? Or if the ATI string is essential because
    somehow it uses the command path to boot the graphics sequence or
    something? That's my graphics to the machine and I don't want to risk
    getting locked out of there --- I suppose I could fool around with it and
    always image back if something goes awry, but I was hoping for an easy
    way out, or around, I guess. (^:

    Thanks to all.

    Oh yeah, and everybody have yourselves a merry little Christmas!

    °Mike° <> wrote in

    > Control Panel / System / Advanced tab.
    > Press the 'Environment Variables' button.
    >
    > For the system variables you should have at least:
    >
    > ComSpec
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
    >
    > Path
    > %SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
    >
    > PATHEXT
    > .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    >
    > Windir
    > %SystemRoot%
    >

    > On 19 Dec 2004 17:17:26 GMT, in
    > <Xns95C4732A7F031here@67.98.68.25>
    > Technot So Saavy scrawled:

    < it was right here... ?? >
    Technot So Saavy, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Technot So Saavy

    °Mike° Guest

    Install routines often add to the "PATH" string.
    This is not unusual, and is often quite helpful.

    There is NO autoexec.bat in Windows XP; it doesn't
    use it.

    On 19 Dec 2004 23:58:48 GMT, in
    <Xns95C4B7550E3A3toby@67.98.68.26>
    Technot So Saavy scrawled:

    >Here's what else is happening:
    >
    >the "path" string:
    >
    >%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    >
    >is there; however, in an HP laptop with an ATI shared memory setup, there
    >is a string appended to that [above] string: "*\WBEM;ATI[yadda yadda]
    >(could go over there and boot it up, and copy that exact string and then
    >post it here, if anyone thinks it'll help or if it could be essential to
    >unraveling this most strange of predicaments)
    >
    >and that's the workstation which is aberrent to the others - also, as I
    >mentioned the AUTOEXEC.BAT hidden system file is missing... Coincidence?
    >I think perhaps not! Now it seems my options may not be limited to:
    >
    >1) create an autoexec.bat file - but I can't seem to make it a system
    >file;
    >
    >2) copy a 0-byte system file from another workstation, and then edit it;
    >
    >but

    <snip rest of semi-coherent rambling comments>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  5. °Mike° <>
    the idiot shit-wit who will write something
    even if he/she don't know wtf he/she is saying
    blurts this nonesensical personal opinion in:

    > Install routines often add to the "PATH" string.
    > This is not unusual, and is often quite helpful.
    >
    > There is NO autoexec.bat in Windows XP; it doesn't
    > use it.

    <snip rest of semi-coherent rambling comments>

    --

    You have to goto your C:\ drive, then into Tools > Folder Options > View
    tab > and then [at least temporarily] select "Show hidden files and

    Now then, *all* but *my* laptop have at least zero-byte AUTOEXEC.BAT
    sitting right there on the C:\ directory... *All* NT/2000/XP machines will
    use the autoexec.bat, whether or not it is the system file, and all I have
    ever seen have it.

    The poster's inquiry was concerning the best way to repair apparently
    altered Command Prompt Environment Varibles which adversely effected his
    Command Prompt usage as compared to other computers which are working
    correctly within those regards - not a test to see if you could find
    whatever it is sticking up your arse! (QUIT sticking things up your arse,
    and it won't be so obvious when you spew out your usual rude and arrogant
    canned newsgroup articles.)

    I can tell by your messages that you are a arrogant and rude fuckwit with
    deep psychological problems manifesting with strong indications of
    'conquering hero delusions', so why the hell don't you just killfile the
    poster and let someone who not only knows what the **** they're talking
    about respond but someone who is not an idiot-top-poster in a group who
    clearly follow bottom-posting customs and courtesies.

    If you don't say anything else, then nobody will ever be able tell what a
    wanker you are! Coherent enough for you, you jerk?
    Profeser Lex I. Con, Dec 20, 2004
  6. °Mike° <> top-posting jerk
    spews out this non-responsive crap in

    --

    He already said that. That wasn't the question.
    Profeser Lex I. Con, Dec 20, 2004
  7. Technot So Saavy

    °Mike° Guest

    On 20 Dec 2004 16:00:11 GMT, in
    <Xns95C565EC8FBE2atco@67.98.68.10>
    Profeser Lex I. Con scrawled:

    <snip>

    >If you don't say anything else, then nobody will ever be able tell what a
    >wanker you are! Coherent enough for you, you jerk?

    What a shame that I disabled my filters.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Technot So Saavy

    °Mike° Guest

    On 20 Dec 2004 16:12:38 GMT, in
    <Xns95C568097B07Eatco@67.98.68.10>
    Profeser Lex I. Con scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> top-posting jerk
    >spews out this non-responsive crap in
    >
    >> Control Panel / System / Advanced tab.
    >> Press the 'Environment Variables' button.
    >>
    >> For the system variables you should have at least:
    >>
    >> ComSpec
    >> %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
    >>
    >> Path
    >> %SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
    >>
    >> PATHEXT
    >> .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    >>
    >> Windir
    >> %SystemRoot%

    >He already said that.

    No, you didn't.

    > That wasn't the question.

    No, it wasn't.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  9. Howdy!

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On 20 Dec 2004 16:00:11 GMT, in
    > <Xns95C565EC8FBE2atco@67.98.68.10>
    > Profeser Lex I. Con scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >If you don't say anything else, then nobody will ever be able tell what a
    > >wanker you are! Coherent enough for you, you jerk?

    > What a shame that I disabled my filters.

    I got the feeling he had confused himself with you.

    Since he sounded like an arrogant fuckwit (ALL 2K/XP systems use
    AUTOEXEC.BAT? Wonder how the four systems at my house are working without
    it, then ... ) and you didn't.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 20, 2004
  10. Technot So Saavy

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:03:15 -0600, in
    <>
    Ralph Wade Phillips scrawled:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On 20 Dec 2004 16:00:11 GMT, in
    >> <Xns95C565EC8FBE2atco@67.98.68.10>
    >> Profeser Lex I. Con scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >If you don't say anything else, then nobody will ever be able tell what a
    >> >wanker you are! Coherent enough for you, you jerk?

    >> What a shame that I disabled my filters.

    > I got the feeling he had confused himself with you.
    >
    > Since he sounded like an arrogant fuckwit (ALL 2K/XP systems use
    >AUTOEXEC.BAT? Wonder how the four systems at my house are working without
    >it, then ... ) and you didn't.

    It's a sock, Ralph, it's a sock.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  11. Technot So Saavy

    Ron Martell Guest

    Technot So Saavy <> wrote:

    >I have a question.
    >
    >So, here's the question:
    >
    > (whew, it's hard to formulate the question)
    >
    >The question is where'd the correct file go? If you've taken it, *give*
    >*me* *back* *my* *file* - *now* or I'll report ya to the Spam kops!
    >

    >All my malware scans are coming up clean, and every other thing seems to
    >be normal and stable as far as routine day-to-day operations are going.
    >

    >OK, like if I want to ping, I have to launch WindowsXP Command Prompt
    >interface, and then change directories [from the current user account] by
    >drilling down to C:\Windows\System32 before Windows will recognize the
    >"ping.exe" [or any other small Windows utility in that directory - like
    >tracert or tracert6, etc.].
    >
    >So, what's up with that?
    >
    >Otherwise I get this response if I enter "ping 204.1.226.228" [for
    >example only]: "'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external
    >command, operable program or batch file." - then I am returned to the
    >current directory's prompt. Until I drill down, then it works.
    >
    >I could probably do a workaround and create an autoexec.bat on C:\ and
    >direct "command" to the directory, but how do I make it a [hidden and
    >protected] system file, and where did it go, and where can I get another
    >one, and where is the file that contains the Environment Variables [the
    >*file*, not the system interface] - and then isn't this merely a cheesy
    >workaround when somewhere in my system it should be directing common and
    >usual Command Prompt entries to the correct WinXP directory?
    >
    >Thanks for any accurate information on this perplexing Windows conundrum.

    Autoexec.bat is not processed as part of the startup in Windows XP.
    This is also true for Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows Me.

    To set environment variables in Windows XP use Control Panel - System
    - Advanced and click on the Environment Variables button

    To set up items that were included in the autoexec.bat or config.sys
    files under Windows 98 and earlier add the requisite lines to the
    autoexec.nt and/or config.nt files in the \windows\system folder.
    These will be processed whenever a 16 bit application is run or a DOS
    emulation Window is opened.

    To launch a program automatically at Startup where the program itself
    lacks a configuration setting to do so you need to create a shortcut
    and include that shortcut in the Startup group on the Start menu.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP