    Teddi Guest

    Can Enterprise Templates be used to code for security
    restrictions and exception handling?
    Teddi, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Teddi

    Jay Walters Guest

    I'm not rock solid about this...

    But I believe the answer you're looking for is no.

    I've only seen (and heard) of it being used to enforce
    global things like class usage, project setup standards,
    policies, and stuff like that.

    You might able force the use of certain classes - but in
    the end, it's the developer that writes the code.

    For more info on Enterprise Templates, check out:
    url=/library/en-
    us/vsent7/html/vxorienterprisetemplates.asp

    If you were super serious about implementing heavy duty
    security standards and exception handling, you might want
    to consider unit testing.

    Hope this helps

    Jay Walters, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Teddi

    Teddi Guest

    So if you were given a choice of the proper way to require
    your programmers to adhere to programming standards in
    terms of Security and Exception handling you would choose
    option which option from below.

    Enterprise Templates
    Deriving your programming from a base class.

    Teddi
    Teddi, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Teddi

    Jay Walters Guest

    Teddy - If I had the answer to this one, you and I could
    both be rich :)

    I'm not familiar with your enviroment and everything
    really depends on your exact cirmcumstances - so I'm just
    going to shoot in the dark here.

    Generally, I would only recommend that you use base
    classes to handle repetitive type actions, otherwise your
    devs will never accomplisch anything. Here is a popular
    example, which isn't a perfect example of tier separation.

    For database access - you could write a class (we'll call
    it the DAL, for Data Access Layer).. With the DAL you
    would write generic functions that fetch or update data
    from the database. You could also enforce certain
    security rules (and some data related business rules)
    such as Administrators can run any function, websites can
    only use these functions, and client apps can only use
    these functions.

    You see with the DAL - you could tell developers to only
    access the db with this class. This has the nice side
    effect of reusing code too, helping to cut your
    development time.

    This is just one example, I'm you can find a few more. As
    a word of caution. I suggest that a very talented dev
    writes these reusable components. Otherwise you'll have
    other devs complaining that the component doesn't meet
    their needs.

    *** Something else you might want to consider is
    formalizing your development phase just a little bit.
    Code reviews will make sure that all of your devs adhere
    to the rules, and more importantly understand the rules.

    Jay Walters, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Teddi

    Hassan anwr Guest

    þþÊã ßÊÇÈÉ Jay Walters <> Ýí ÃÎÈÇÑ