Enterprise IT Success vs Failure

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 20, 2010.

  1. Just came across a reader comment to this item
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/va-approaches-open-source-day-of-reckoning/7194>
    by a “dickdavies†who says:

    With enterprise implementations, it was always, "Freeze the
    requirements! We'll be back in 2months, 6months, 2 years with what we
    thought you wanted." And the misses and stupidity were truly monumental.
    What I have seen of open source development has been adjusting mature
    code to fit requirements, weekly progress, and both requirements and
    development are dynamic, kinda like the real world. That's different to
    buy and manage, will require different customer skills, but since the
    ship has largely sailed on "shut up and wait" development, perhaps the
    importance and definition of learning how to be successful should be
    part of the response.

    I’ve wondered about this. What it means is that enterprise-sized
    developments need to look more like smaller-scale ones, where you go away
    with some initial rough, incomplete requirements, prototype a system, show
    it to the customer, correct and refine it based on their feedback, rinse and
    repeat.

    Customers may worry that this approach opens them up to seemingly unlimited
    costs, but really a) they get working systems that can be deployed to solve
    at least part of the problem much sooner, and b) given the massive cost
    overruns that already occur with the finalize-all-the-requirements-up-front
    approach, how much worse could it be?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 20, 2010