    event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
    corporate disk image.

    Is this guy right?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Came across this reader comment
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
    >
    > Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
    > other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
    > and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
    > dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
    > and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
    > Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
    > event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
    > corporate disk image.
    >
    > Is this guy right?

    Yes, they have someone that doesn't know how to install things properly
    in a domain environment.

    Richard, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <46c6a372$>, Richard <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >Yes, they have someone that doesn't know how to install things properly
    >in a domain environment.

    That about sums it up.
    There are a similar proportion of good people and clueless people in both
    environments. The biggest difference that I see is that a greater proportion
    of the clueless people in the Windows environment don't realise it.
    Microsoft have done an admirable job in making training courses available to
    make it easy, unfortunately this often leads to "2 weeks ago I couldn't
    spell "MSCE" and now I are one." Linux people have fewer opportunities to
    paper their walls / pad their CVs with qualifications, but they tend to have
    a more realistic appreciation of their actual skill level.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Aug 18, 2007
  4. In message <>, Don Hills wrote:

    > Microsoft have done an admirable job in making training courses
    > available to make it easy, unfortunately this often leads to "2 weeks ago
    > I couldn't spell "MSCE" and now I are one."

    The fact that it's "MCSE" I'll take as part of your joke. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <fa6fbl$97b$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >The fact that it's "MCSE" I'll take as part of your joke. :)

    Slydexia rules, KO?

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Aug 18, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Came across this reader comment
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
    >
    > Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
    > other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
    > and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
    > dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
    > and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
    > Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
    > event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
    > corporate disk image.
    >
    > Is this guy right?

    No. I don't know what the Linux solution was, but I want it! So far as I
    know, it is not easy to do that in Linux. Wish it was. And the Windows
    people don't have a clue. There are several ways of making a package
    available to all users that simply involve adding the package to a
    distribution server and changing a GPO or similar. There are also third
    party packages to do the same thing. Xenworks rings a bell.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 18, 2007
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Came across this reader comment
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
    >
    > Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
    > other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
    > and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
    > dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
    > and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
    > Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
    > event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
    > corporate disk image.
    >
    > Is this guy right?

    No the SOE refered to is being badly administered.

    I would have created an OU in Add to load the package then made all
    domain users members and viola next reboot they would (like the Linux
    twerps) receive the package via SMS

    collector«NZ, Aug 18, 2007
  8. On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:53:23 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > No. I don't know what the Linux solution was, but I want it!

    Sounds like some sort of script that is used to control a packaging
    system. :eek:)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 19, 2007
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Came across this reader comment
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
    >
    > Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
    > other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
    > and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
    > dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
    > and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
    > Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
    > event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
    > corporate disk image.
    >
    > Is this guy right?

    Nope, can be pushed out over night....however few would do so without
    testing first...

    So their SOE re-build methodology though sounds perfectly OK...it may
    well be more sound than a lazy Linux admin simply adding it into a
    dependency file...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 19, 2007
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Came across this reader comment
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
    >>
    >> Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me
    >> the
    >> other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
    >> and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
    >> dependency list kept in a package named
    >> "standard-operating-environment"
    >> and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that
    >> night. The
    >> Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
    >> event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
    >> corporate disk image.
    >>
    >> Is this guy right?
    > >

    > No. I don't know what the Linux solution was, but I want it! So far as I
    > know, it is not easy to do that in Linux. Wish it was. And the Windows
    > people don't have a clue. There are several ways of making a package
    > available to all users that simply involve adding the package to a
    > distribution server and changing a GPO or similar. There are also third
    > party packages to do the same thing. Xenworks rings a bell.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    01 1 * * * apt-get update ; apt-get -y dist-upgrade

    or variations thereof....ie each client runs a cronjob at a certain time
    to go and patch....it could also easily download a script and run it as
    well....

    blah /bin/bash

    up2date -i blah
    up2date -i blah2
    apt-get install blah4
    yum install blah5
    rpm -e blah-remove-buggered-blah-package
    scp -P22 blah3 blah@blah ; rpm -i blah3
    reboot

    maybe have two files one a loop calling a straight dependency list....

    not exactly rocket science...

    Redhat has a satellite proxy service which at some point I will look at
    should automate all of this, Altris probably achieves the same thing...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 19, 2007
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2007-08-18, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Came across this reader comment
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
    >>
    >> Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
    >> other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
    >> and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
    >> dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
    >> and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
    >> Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
    >> event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
    >> corporate disk image.
    >>
    >> Is this guy right?
    > >

    > No. I don't know what the Linux solution was, but I want it! So far as I
    > know, it is not easy to do that in Linux. Wish it was.

    dunno about redhat, but in deb based linuxes it is that easy,

    set up a package called standard-operating-environment and have it
    install a cron job that installs the latest version of
    standard-operating-environment itself each night drop the package
    into a repository on the intranet webserver.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Sep 10, 2007