Entering Several Addresses in the To: field but Recipient Sees Only His/Her Address

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I use OE6 and my OS is XP Pro.

    I'm the moderator of a chatroom and there are group mailings about once or
    twice a week. To date, in order to respect everyone's right to privacy, I've
    been placing their e-mail addresses in the Bcc field. Unfortunately, many
    e-mail clients and/or providers regard Bcc mail as spam, thus causing room
    members to not be kept up-to-date.

    Is there a software application that would permit me to enter everyone's
    e-mail address in the To field, but the recipient would see only his/her
    address?

    Thanks!

    Martin

    Martin, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Martin

    Plato Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Is there a software application that would permit me to enter everyone's
    > e-mail address in the To field, but the recipient would see only his/her
    > address?

    Yes there are. Several years ago a buddy wrote one for me in only a few
    hours because my mail service had a limit on the number of folks I could
    send to at the same time. It works from a dos box and individually
    addresses each mail. Sorry I cant pass on a copy.
    However, since then I found that using a professional bulk mailing
    service to be easier and better? Why better? One reason is that it frees
    me from having to manually remove people from the list as it includes a
    "remove from list" link on every mail.

    There are free versions and very low cost pay for versions. See here:

    http://www.ymlp.com/

    Even with the free version you dont have to manually add or remove
    people from the list. Just use a website signup form.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Martin

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately, many
    > e-mail clients and/or providers regard Bcc mail as spam, thus causing room
    > members to not be kept up-to-date.

    I've not seen that before - which clients?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Using most email clients: BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) will do this, no
    additional software required. Put your email address in the TO field,
    everyone else's in the BCC field.

    The recipients will only see their address, and not be aware of others who
    have received the same email.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Unfortunately, many e-mail clients and/or providers regard Bcc
    > mail as spam, thus causing room members to not be kept up-to-date.

    You are mistaken about that. In the first place, the clients don't see
    the 'BCC' because that information doesn't reach the client. The
    mechanism of the effect of using BCC on the sending end and what is
    going on during the smtp transaction at the server level is beyond the
    scope of this discussion, but it isn't seen by the client.

    In the second place the mechanism for hiding the recipients which aren't
    listed in the To: of the DATA part of the transmission, is a standard
    mechanism for all kinds of bulk or multiparty mailed items, ie mailing
    lists, not just spams. So, it wouldn't 'do' for a normal provider to
    block all mailing list mail using such addressing -- they would have
    unhappy clients.

    Of course, anyone who runs a server can choose to use some zany
    configuration to block anything they want to; but if someone is behind
    such a zany server, they need to get things straightened out, whitelist
    their wanted mail, or change mail providers.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Martin

    Plato Guest

    Secret Squiddle wrote:

    > Using most email clients: BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) will do this, no
    > additional software required. Put your email address in the TO field,
    > everyone else's in the BCC field.

    True, the the OP said that the services his receivers are using are
    tagging mail using the BCC as spam.

    Plato, Oct 28, 2005