  1. I want to reformat my c: drive. I have windows XP installed, but have lost
    the disk. I do have windows 98 disk and was just going to instal that. But
    how the heck do you get into ms-dos in windows xp without the disk.

    =?Utf-8?B?cm9zY29l?=, Sep 17, 2005

  2. Download the appropriate boot disk:
    http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads/BootDisks/boot98.exe

    You are also not in the correct group, this question should be posted to
    either microsoft.public.windowsxp.general or
    microsoft.public.windowsme.general, looks like they have discontinued the 98
    newsgroups.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 17, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?cm9zY29l?=

    Rick Guest

    1st. You are lost. This is the 64-bit group - not Win 98 nor Win XP
    32-bit.

    2nd. You don't get to MS-DOS in Win XP - with or without a disk.

    Rick, Sep 17, 2005
  4. sorry I'm lost, but I kinda knew that as I've been trying to find an answer
    for 4 hours. But Thanks to Andre he may just have solved my problem.
    Ta

    =?Utf-8?B?cm9zY29l?=, Sep 17, 2005
  5. roscoe wrote:
    > I want to reformat my c: drive. I have windows XP installed, but have lost
    > the disk. I do have windows 98 disk and was just going to instal that. But
    > how the heck do you get into ms-dos in windows xp without the disk.

    There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
    you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit (and now
    64-bit) graphical desktop operating systems, of which WinXP is the
    latest generation, has never used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS.
    The Recovery Console's CLI (Command Line Interface) is the closest you
    can come to the old "DOS mode."

    The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice.

    How to Manually Remove Win XP and Restore Win9x
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314052

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 18, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cm9zY29l?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You can just use your install disk for any Windows operation system. Go
    thru the install process until it asks where you want to place the operating
    system. Chose your C drive and it will ask if you want to reformat, do the
    reformat there and if your just want an empty formatted disk, exit.
    Otherwise finish the install.

    John Barnes, Sep 18, 2005
  7. roscoe <> wrote in:

    > I want to reformat my c: drive. I have windows XP installed, but have
    > lost the disk. I do have windows 98 disk and was just going to instal
    > that. But how the heck do you get into ms-dos in windows xp without the
    > disk.

    Boot on the Windows 98 CD (if it's bootable? Mine is, if not use the Windows
    98 boot disk.) and run fdisk. If your harddrive is formatted NTFS tell fdisk
    to remove the non-dos partition(s), then install Windows 98.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Sep 18, 2005