    that from some folks that I must press a combination of other keys with the
    delete key inorder for the delete key to work.

    Thank You.
    Raymond, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Raymond

    dave Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > Hello all, How do you folks enter the cmos setting in most of your laptops?
    > Is it possible at all? I tried it on my laptop which is a PIII compaq
    > armada by pressing the delete key at startup, but nothing happened. I heard
    > that from some folks that I must press a combination of other keys with the
    > delete key inorder for the delete key to work.
    >
    > Thank You.

    Your user guide or manual will have that information, or
    in the documentation that contains information about the
    labtop's hardware...
    dave, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Raymond

    dave Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > Every laptop is different, almost all laptops have a way of doing it,
    > but it's almost never, strangely, the delete key. On Toshiba, hold down
    > the escape key PRIOR to turning on power, and keep holding it down until
    > you get an error message. On other lapops, F1, F2, F10 and F12 are
    > common ways to enter setup.

    Not very smart Barry'

    You have no way of knowing if this guy is actually trying
    to get into *his own* labtop, or has, shall we say, *aquired*
    this laptop, hmmm?

    dave, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Raymond

    dave Guest

    AT wrote:
    > I don't agree with your way of thinking.

    Then I guess it's time maybe you learn to start thinking.

    My concern is along the lines of security. Period.

    Understanding that one reason is one of the *few* things
    one must learn properly, and take into account here
    on the board.

    > If anyone in here is asking questions about how things
    > works, I think it is the purpose of the NG to
    > help out without questioning why they need to know it.

    However, accessing the CMOS is more of a security issue,
    rather that finding out how something works, would you not
    agree?

    With access to the CMOs, you can effectively enable or
    disable access to part or all of the laptop, hence
    my concern.

    The poster had not stated what do with his hard-drive
    setup, partitioning, video resolution, changing the time,
    turning off or on serial ports, IRQ's, Parrallel port
    settings, or USB or Infra-RED settings, now did he?

    Get the point yet?

    dave, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    The poster had not stated what do with his hard-drive
    setup, partitioning, video resolution, changing the time,
    turning off or on serial ports, IRQ's, Parrallel port
    settings, or USB or Infra-RED settings, now did he?

    Get the point yet?

    Thanks all for helping. I should get online and look at the matual,but it
    drove me nut spending a couple of hours to find product serial number to
    enter at the website and find the right matual. So I decide to save
    sometime and ask it here. Since it is a simple and it is not very much time
    consuming question to answer. I hope my question or someone's answer won't
    dampen the good spririt of this newsgroup.

    Thanks All and Happy Holiday.
    Raymond, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Raymond

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <weaAb.984$>,
    says...

    >"Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> Every laptop is different, almost all laptops have a way of doing it,
    >> but it's almost never, strangely, the delete key. On Toshiba, hold down
    >> the escape key PRIOR to turning on power, and keep holding it down until
    >> you get an error message. On other lapops, F1, F2, F10 and F12 are
    >> common ways to enter setup.
    >>

    >> Raymond wrote:
    >>

    >I even had one laptop that had a "wrench" key for entering setup.

    That's nothing, I had one that required me to wave a dead chicken over it while
    reciting ancient runes!
    Jinkies, Dec 6, 2003
  7. ....pop the hard drive out....when it boots and doesn't find the device it
    might prompt you to ( do something) to enter set-up.

    Huck Palmatier, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Raymond

    Tony Sivori Guest

    dave wrote:
    > AT wrote:
    >> I don't agree with your way of thinking.

    > Then I guess it's time maybe you learn to start thinking.

    So it's your way or no way? Don't be silly. Even the most rarefied experts
    disagree on many things.

    > My concern is along the lines of security. Period.
    >
    > However, accessing the CMOS is more of a security issue, rather that
    > finding out how something works, would you not agree?

    Assuming he owns the laptop, no I would not agree.

    > With access to the CMOs, you can effectively enable or disable access to
    > part or all of the laptop, hence my concern.

    Since he already seems to have physical possession of the computer, he can
    already do that.

    > Get the point yet?

    I too would be quite loath to help any thief, but I think you are way off
    the mark in this case. He wasn't even asking how to circumvent the BIOS
    password. And frankly, just about any laptop thief could probably get
    around the BIOS password faster than most if not all of the regular
    readers of this newsgroup.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Dec 6, 2003