"Enter Windows Password" !! %$#@

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Morse, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Morse

    Morse Guest

    Win98SE

    I keep getting this darned password window at boot up just prior to the
    desktop settling down - how can I get rid of it?

    Under Control Panel>Network, I have the Primary Network Logon as Windows
    Logon.

    I have the Client for MS Networks >Properties as Quick logon.

    Under Access Control I have Share-level access control

    The window has nothing entered in the fields but I cant hit ok - it wont
    accept it.
    I have to cancel it and then it comes back on re-boot.

    It had a very stupid & rude username entered in the name field by some
    student, which I tried everything under the sun to eliminate:
    Eventually, I went to the registry, did a search and deleted it (just the
    name between " ").
    I also went to the dos prompt and typed c: dir *.pwl and 3 entries came up-
    a default and 2 others (incl the bad one - I deleted them all.

    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks

    Morse, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Morse

    Morse Guest

    Thanks guys/gals, it's done.
    Tweakui was great - and of course I didn't think to enter a username only &
    hit ok.
    I was just cancelling out of the window.
    Muchos Gracias

    Morse, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Morse

    Ghost Guest

    In article <_XpLb.83226$>, "Morse"
    <> wrote:

    > Win98SE
    >
    > I keep getting this darned password window at boot up just prior to the
    > desktop settling down - how can I get rid of it?
    >
    > Under Control Panel>Network, I have the Primary Network Logon as Windows
    > Logon.
    >
    > I have the Client for MS Networks >Properties as Quick logon.
    >
    > Under Access Control I have Share-level access control
    >
    > The window has nothing entered in the fields but I cant hit ok - it wont
    > accept it.
    > I have to cancel it and then it comes back on re-boot.
    >
    > It had a very stupid & rude username entered in the name field by some
    > student, which I tried everything under the sun to eliminate:
    > Eventually, I went to the registry, did a search and deleted it (just the
    > name between " ").
    > I also went to the dos prompt and typed c: dir *.pwl and 3 entries came up-
    > a default and 2 others (incl the bad one - I deleted them all.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    > Thanks

    once you are fully up and running, just log off and log in as a new user
    with no password.

    Ghost, Jan 10, 2004