Ensuring Security at HotSpots question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hello all

    I access the internet via a hotspot during my lunchbreak and wanted to
    ensure that I am surfing securely. I have read various PC magazine
    articles and here is what I have done SO FAR to ensure privacy

    1. Sygate Firewall
    2. File Sharing turned off, Plug/Play turned off
    3. Surf thru HotSpotVPN, a Virtual Private Network, reviewed
    positively in various journals
    4. Virus software always on
    5. AdAware and SpyBot run every few days
    6. HOSTS file modified to be "anti spyware"

    what is lacking?

    I hear about war drivers and others "grabbing" my packets while I
    surf. I think #3 above should fix that. Anything else? Can people
    with NetStumbler find ME (via GPS) while I surf? I know they can find
    the AP, how about the laptop user?

    Dont want to be paranoid, but thats the reality these days.

    thanks!

    Bill, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Bill

    Iceman Guest

    On 2 Nov 2004 20:57:42 -0800, Bill wrote:

    > Hello all
    >
    > I access the internet via a hotspot during my lunchbreak and wanted to
    > ensure that I am surfing securely. I have read various PC magazine
    > articles and here is what I have done SO FAR to ensure privacy
    >
    > 1. Sygate Firewall
    > 2. File Sharing turned off, Plug/Play turned off
    > 3. Surf thru HotSpotVPN, a Virtual Private Network, reviewed
    > positively in various journals
    > 4. Virus software always on
    > 5. AdAware and SpyBot run every few days
    > 6. HOSTS file modified to be "anti spyware"
    >
    > what is lacking?
    >
    > I hear about war drivers and others "grabbing" my packets while I
    > surf. I think #3 above should fix that. Anything else? Can people
    > with NetStumbler find ME (via GPS) while I surf? I know they can find
    > the AP, how about the laptop user?

    If they can find the AP then they can find you. You have to be within a few
    hundred feet and any wireless detector can identify your notebook in
    operation.

    Iceman, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Bill

    ^reaper^ Guest

    ^reaper^, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Bill

    Iceman Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:14:48 -0800, ^reaper^ wrote:

    > In <news:x3m7m8cs8ay9$>,
    > Iceman <> roted:
    >
    >> On 2 Nov 2004 20:57:42 -0800, Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello all
    >>>
    >>> I access the internet via a hotspot during my lunchbreak and
    >>> wanted to ensure that I am surfing securely. I have read various
    >>> PC magazine articles and here is what I have done SO FAR to ensure
    >>> privacy
    >>>
    >>> 1. Sygate Firewall
    >>> 2. File Sharing turned off, Plug/Play turned off
    >>> 3. Surf thru HotSpotVPN, a Virtual Private Network, reviewed
    >>> positively in various journals
    >>> 4. Virus software always on
    >>> 5. AdAware and SpyBot run every few days
    >>> 6. HOSTS file modified to be "anti spyware"
    >>>
    >>> what is lacking?
    >>>
    >>> I hear about war drivers and others "grabbing" my packets while I
    >>> surf. I think #3 above should fix that. Anything else? Can
    >>> people with NetStumbler find ME (via GPS) while I surf? I know
    >>> they can find the AP, how about the laptop user?
    >>>

    >> If they can find the AP then they can find you. You have to be
    >> within a few hundred feet and any wireless detector can identify
    >> your notebook in operation.

    > At which point they do AP spoofing... and... well, you know. ^_~

    But he said they were using VPN.

    Now if the feds were smart they'd shut down all wireless at airports. It
    would piss a lot of peeps off, but.......

    Iceman, Nov 3, 2004
  5. Bill

    ^reaper^ Guest

    In <news:>,
    Iceman <> roted:

    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:14:48 -0800, ^reaper^ wrote:

    >> In <news:x3m7m8cs8ay9$>,
    >> Iceman <> roted:

    >>> If they can find the AP then they can find you. You have to be
    >>> within a few hundred feet and any wireless detector can identify
    >>> your notebook in operation.

    >> At which point they do AP spoofing... and... well, you know. ^_~
    >>

    > But he said they were using VPN.

    Oops. Missed that. Doink on me! :eek:)

    > Now if the feds were smart they'd shut down all wireless at
    > airports. It would piss a lot of peeps off, but.......

    True. Though one would think they'd shut down all wireless in their
    guberment orfices first... which aren't using VPN btw.

    ^reaper^

    ^reaper^, Nov 3, 2004
  6. Bill

    agent10029 Guest

    I use a VPN sniffer,
    same deal.. i dont need to snif fthier packets.

    a point about hotspots, look at all who are in the place whom have laptops.
    then use netstumbler or other sniffers to check ap's and mac addresses. if
    you have the correct amount, then keep an eye on new macs suddenly appearing
    while no new users enter the visible hotspot.

    things i do at hotspots. scan mace. thene check for file sharing and netbios
    UPnP and other things

    i love the $xx like the LPT port and admin $IPC locations also...

    if at a hotspot, ensure your data is not secure.

    dont get me wrong. you would be lucky if i tap your PC.

    i only look for appz games pics on HD's thing people get in e-mail, and
    save to the HD. like in my documents or other known folders. i also look for
    MP3's

    other people sniff for passwords and other information.

    another note.

    i have a nice supply of WIFI nics, and rotate them. makes it harder to get
    caught. :)

    my advice, want security, dont try and do secure connections at a public
    hotspot.

    i might be there, and i might bee leaching your cool files.

    oh, and i do leave my calling card to anyone i access.

    i leave a txt file explaining how i got in, and how to prevent it from
    happening again. also i place a list of files i took there.

    scary times we live in aint it.

    agent10029, Nov 3, 2004
  7. In article <> William P.N. Smith wrote:

    >Well, if you can trust HotSpotVPN, and your firewall is any good, then
    >you are pretty much covered, aren't you? In the end, you aren't
    >really connected _to_ the AP, but are tunneling _thru_ it, and there's
    >nothing for The Bad Ones to see.

    Perhaps you just wonder if I am pretty much covered. Why do you care?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "A bot it may be, but somebody set it up in the first place. They
    don't just wander around like viruses." -- Aetyr

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 3, 2004

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 3, 2004