Enlightenment E17 vids

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by AD., Feb 23, 2005.

  1. AD.

    AD. Guest

    Spotted on Slashdot...

    Rasterman talking about next gen desktops and going on about how
    Enlightenment has been doing this for years blah blah...

    Yeah yeah... so what? I thought. He's spouted off about this stuff in the
    past, and I never really found earlier versions of Enlightenment that
    useful or good looking. And E17 seems to be competing with Duke Nukem
    Forever for delayed vapourware award of the decade.

    But what the hell, I went and looked at the two videos he posted showing
    off an alpha build of E17. Wow!! What a surprise - eye candy galore!

    Worth checking out - even if you have no idea what I'm talking about :)

    http://www.rasterman.com/

    The two videos are about 12MB total.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 23, 2005

  2. On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:26:23 +1300, AD. wrote:

    > Spotted on Slashdot...
    >
    > Rasterman talking about next gen desktops and going on about how
    > Enlightenment has been doing this for years blah blah...
    >
    > Yeah yeah... so what? I thought. He's spouted off about this stuff in the
    > past, and I never really found earlier versions of Enlightenment that
    > useful or good looking. And E17 seems to be competing with Duke Nukem
    > Forever for delayed vapourware award of the decade.
    >
    > But what the hell, I went and looked at the two videos he posted showing
    > off an alpha build of E17. Wow!! What a surprise - eye candy galore!
    >
    > Worth checking out - even if you have no idea what I'm talking about :)
    >
    > http://www.rasterman.com/
    >
    > The two videos are about 12MB total.

    er.. theres three vids if you .. erm.. leech it right ;-)
    giving a total of ~16 MB
    the first one is called e17_movie-01.avi

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 23, 2005

  3. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:34:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > er.. theres three vids if you .. erm.. leech it right ;-) giving a total
    > of ~16 MB
    > the first one is called e17_movie-01.avi

    OK wise guy, there's actually a e17_movie-00.avi too! :)

    Although, 00 and 01 don't seem that flash compared to the other two linked
    off the home page.

    And another couple - follow the files link. Those are on embedded stuff.

    Also for some reason, watching them on 'double size' in kaboodle seems to
    be the correct resolution. Normal size only seems to be half resolution -
    don't know if other players do the same.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 24, 2005
  4. On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:35:50 +1300, AD. wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:34:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> er.. theres three vids if you .. erm.. leech it right ;-) giving a total
    >> of ~16 MB
    >> the first one is called e17_movie-01.avi

    > OK wise guy, there's actually a e17_movie-00.avi too! :)
    >
    > Although, 00 and 01 don't seem that flash compared to the other two linked
    > off the home page.
    >
    > And another couple - follow the files link. Those are on embedded stuff.
    >
    > Also for some reason, watching them on 'double size' in kaboodle seems to
    > be the correct resolution. Normal size only seems to be half resolution -
    > don't know if other players do the same.

    oh hell.. you are teh ub3r leecher!
    **bows down**

    Its some damn fine eye candy
    my 1.7 celery cant handle too much vid so am watching it on gmplayer at
    miniscule size .. theres enough to get the idea.. i wonder if that bg
    comes with.. or have to get it yourself.. it rocked!

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 24, 2005
  5. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:51:05 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > oh hell.. you are teh ub3r leecher!
    > **bows down**

    sshh don't tell anyone, but I just clicked on the 'files' link ;)

    > Its some damn fine eye candy
    > my 1.7 celery cant handle too much vid so am watching it on gmplayer at
    > miniscule size .. theres enough to get the idea.. i wonder if that bg
    > comes with.. or have to get it yourself.. it rocked!

    Really? I watched them fine at double size on a P3 500 (Debian
    Sid/KDE/Kaboodle).

    E17 looks like it's making rapid progress - it can't be too many more
    years away now!

    If we're really lucky, it might even come out before Longhorn.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 24, 2005
  6. On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:09:19 +1300, AD. wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:51:05 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> oh hell.. you are teh ub3r leecher!
    >> **bows down**

    > sshh don't tell anyone, but I just clicked on the 'files' link ;)
    >

    >> Its some damn fine eye candy
    >> my 1.7 celery cant handle too much vid so am watching it on gmplayer at
    >> miniscule size .. theres enough to get the idea.. i wonder if that bg
    >> comes with.. or have to get it yourself.. it rocked!

    > Really? I watched them fine at double size on a P3 500 (Debian
    > Sid/KDE/Kaboodle).

    at some stage I am going to ask someone to take a good look at why this
    POS isnt handling Video to my expectations.. although for now i just put
    up with it

    > E17 looks like it's making rapid progress - it can't be too many more
    > years away now!
    >
    > If we're really lucky, it might even come out before Longhorn.

    lol.. DoJ restrictions on Microsoft are lifted 2007 IIRC.. I heard a
    conspiracy theory that thats when to expect Longhorns eventual release
    of course Im just repeating heresay and have no idea of its validity
    (put that bit in to cover my ass :-D)

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 24, 2005
  7. AD. wrote:
    > E17 looks like it's making rapid progress - it can't be too many more
    > years away now!
    > If we're really lucky, it might even come out before Longhorn.

    heh, with any luck, I'll being using Longhorn, with a Bitboys video
    card, on a 4GHz+ P4, playing Duke nukem forever when it's launched.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 24, 2005
  8. AD.

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > heh, with any luck, I'll being using Longhorn, with a Bitboys video
    > card, on a 4GHz+ P4, playing Duke nukem forever when it's launched.

    In between looking out the window to see an aerial display by a full
    squadron of porcine aviators.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 24, 2005
  9. EMB wrote:
    >> heh, with any luck, I'll being using Longhorn, with a Bitboys video
    >> card, on a 4GHz+ P4, playing Duke nukem forever when it's launched.

    > In between looking out the window to see an aerial display by a full
    > squadron of porcine aviators.

    Im on dialup at the moment, have just watched the 00 video... and my
    f'ing god that looks good, so Im sure to be impressed by the others as
    the 00 vid is meant to be fairly average.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 24, 2005
  10. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:42:37 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> E17 looks like it's making rapid progress - it can't be too many more
    >> years away now!
    >> If we're really lucky, it might even come out before Longhorn.

    > heh, with any luck, I'll being using Longhorn, with a Bitboys video card,
    > on a 4GHz+ P4, playing Duke nukem forever when it's launched.

    Not me, I'll be sysadmining a mission critical GNU/Hurd supercluster!

    either that or I'll be creating web pages using XHTML 2.0 and CSS3 that
    work on IE.

    OK, that was a bit over the top - we might even see that Bitboys video
    card before then ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 24, 2005
  11. AD. wrote:
    >>>E17 looks like it's making rapid progress - it can't be too many more
    >>>years away now!
    >>>If we're really lucky, it might even come out before Longhorn.

    >>heh, with any luck, I'll being using Longhorn, with a Bitboys video card,
    >>on a 4GHz+ P4, playing Duke nukem forever when it's launched.

    > Not me, I'll be sysadmining a mission critical GNU/Hurd supercluster!

    harsh...

    > either that or I'll be creating web pages using XHTML 2.0 and CSS3 that
    > work on IE.

    with IE7 on the way you never know.

    > OK, that was a bit over the top - we might even see that Bitboys video
    > card before then ;)

    they make them for cell phones, so at least we know that they are
    capable of making products...thry're just starting a lot smaller than
    they thought they would have initially.

    btw, I want this... this is what we should have now, although it does
    look somewhat OSXish, although that may just be my untrained eye.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 24, 2005
  12. AD.

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:26:23 +1300, AD. wrote:

    {snip}

    > Worth checking out - even if you have no idea what I'm talking about :)

    I have no idea, correct.

    > http://www.rasterman.com/
    >
    > The two videos are about 12MB total.

    Ah now that I understand.

    Wonders if the video card is up to it...

    Think another idea which has reached the everyday world. As the Mainland
    cheese men tell us, Good things take time.

    Gordon, Feb 24, 2005