    cheers!
    rich

    , Sep 28, 2005

  2. Bill Hilton Guest

    >I want to do enlargements, up to 20x30 from a D2X. Can anyone tell
    >me how good the image will be?

    I've seen some excellent 20x30" prints from a D2x but with excellent
    lenses, low ISO settings and professional digital techniques in
    Photoshop and printing. So it's possible under the right conditions

    >I'd like to know before I splash out on one, use the camera and find
    >the people I take the pictures for aren't happy with the quality

    You can probably download a sample file and print it to get an idea of
    the image quality ...

    Bill Hilton, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Andrew Haley Guest

    wrote:

    > I want to do enlargements, up to 20x30 from a D2X. Can anyone tell me
    > how good the image will be? I'll be getting the prints done by a lab
    > (i.e. giving a them the digital file and getting them printed on their
    > photographic printer). I want to know if fringing, etc will be
    > noticable.

    At the widest end of a wide-angle zoom it probably will be, yeah.

    > Also i guess the resolution is important, but what i really want to
    > know is will the image look nice?

    I've enlarged D2x images to this size and they look pretty good, but
    of course they're soft if you get really close. The key here is good
    interpolation to the final size, and that depends to some extent on
    how clued up the people producing the prints are.

    > I'll be using the 50mm f1.4, 12-24 and 17-55 lenses.

    Good choice. You'll need good lighting and good technique to hit the
    resolution limits of the camera. Shoot in RAW.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Haley, Sep 28, 2005
  4. Andrew Haley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I want to do enlargements, up to 20x30 from a D2X. Can anyone tell me
    >>how good the image will be? I'll be getting the prints done by a lab
    >>(i.e. giving a them the digital file and getting them printed on their
    >>photographic printer). I want to know if fringing, etc will be
    >>noticable.

    > At the widest end of a wide-angle zoom it probably will be, yeah.
    >

    >>Also i guess the resolution is important, but what i really want to
    >>know is will the image look nice?

    > I've enlarged D2x images to this size and they look pretty good,

    I have enlarged 5 mp to 20x30, and is was very good.

    the D2X is more mp, should be better lenses,
    and your skill should be the limit.

    bob crownfield, Sep 28, 2005
  5. bmoag Guest

    Who is going to process the image prior to printing? You or the printing
    service?
    Are you familiar with using raw and the corrections that are possible for
    chromatic aberration? Fringing? Lens distortion? Exposure? Saturation? etc
    etc
    Are you aware of how to avoid the appearance of fringing? How much fringing
    do you see in the types of compositions you create with this camera?
    What kind of files does your printing service require? For a print of this
    size you cannot simply hand in a jpeg on a floppy . . .
    What kind of processing/finishing of the image do they do?
    Can you print a section of the image at that magnification on a letter size
    paper for a test?
    Before you go up to prints of this size it may be in your best interest to
    learn a bit more about the process . . .

    bmoag, Sep 28, 2005
  6. <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to do enlargements, up to 20x30 from a D2X. Can anyone tell me
    > how good the image will be?

    Decide for yourself.

    That's a 140 ppi print. Crop out a few 1120 x 1400 sections from your frame,
    upsample to 2400 x 3000 (bicubic in Photoshop), sharpen to taste, and print
    at 8x10 on a decent inkjet.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 28, 2005
  7. bmoag wrote:
    > Who is going to process the image prior to printing?

    me.

    You or the printing service?
    > Are you familiar with using raw and the corrections that are possible for
    > chromatic aberration? Fringing? Lens distortion?

    never been a problem.

    Exposure? Saturation? etc

    asked and answered.
    Who is going to process the image prior to printing?
    me.

    > etc
    > Are you aware of how to avoid the appearance of fringing? How much fringing
    > do you see in the types of compositions you create with this camera?

    none

    > What kind of files does your printing service require? For a print of this
    > size you cannot simply hand in a jpeg on a floppy . . .

    wrong. 5 mp jpeg works amazingly well, for those who do it.
    12 mp jpeg works even better.

    > What kind of processing/finishing of the image do they do?

    very little.

    prints match my monitor.

    > Can you print a section of the image at that magnification on a letter size
    > paper for a test?

    not interested.

    > Before you go up to prints of this size it may be in your best interest to
    > learn a bit more about the process . . .

    those who can, do..
    those who can't, ...

    bob crownfield, Sep 29, 2005
  8. Guest

    Thanks for all the useful info! this has definitely allayed my fears.
    i've got quite a lot of experience processing my D70 images in
    photoshop and the lab i use is great, so should all go well. I'll
    invest and do some test shots first though.

    Cheers!
    Rich

    , Sep 29, 2005