Enlarge Digital Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by thankyou, Jun 14, 2009.

  1. thankyou

    thankyou Guest

    Hello, Thanks for your help.

    When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    ratio?


    I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.

    Thanks John
     
    thankyou, Jun 14, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thankyou

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:

    > Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >
    > When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect ratio?
    >
    >
    > I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >
    > Thanks John


    Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?
     
    ray, Jun 14, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. thankyou

    Marvin Guest

    thankyou wrote:
    > Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >
    > When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    > ratio?
    >
    >
    > I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >
    > Thanks John


    Why limit yourself by preserving the aspect ratio? Cropping
    often improves a photo. As to the ratio on a poster, it
    depends on whether or not you have to allow for borders, and
    - if so - what width the borders are.
     
    Marvin, Jun 14, 2009
    #3
  4. thankyou

    daveFaktor Guest

    thankyou wrote:
    > Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >
    > When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    > ratio?
    >
    >
    > I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >
    > Thanks John


    Typically the aspect ratio of a portrait is 4:3
    A Poster however - Like movie posters have no established aspect ratio.
    I'd suggest you use your eye and decide if the scene you intend to
    depict is suited to a longer or shorter looking poster. 3:2 is the
    aspect ratio Leica decided would suit landscapes (holiday shots)

    My personal preference is the above ratios, depending on the picture
    being landscape or portrait orientation.

    Enlargements from P&S digital with relative low resolution may benefit
    from using all the frame. This would limit your final print to 4:3 or
    near enough.
     
    daveFaktor, Jun 14, 2009
    #4
  5. thankyou

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700 (PDT), thankyou
    <> wrote:

    >Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >
    >When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    >ratio?
    >
    >
    >I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >
    >Thanks John


    Try Super A3, 13" x 19". By the time you leave a margin they are just
    about what you need.



    Eric Stevens
     
    Eric Stevens, Jun 14, 2009
    #5
  6. thankyou

    thankyou Guest

    Thanks for your replies.

    I guess I was looking to learn "how to" figure it out. You get pixels,
    inches, digital cameras files that dont' exactly fit a 6x4 print and
    then the consumer prining stores the sell posters photos in fixed
    sized.

    I have PS, but I'm a video guy mostly and have this ideal to blow up
    my RAW (8 mb) Canon files.

    With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
    files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
    photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.


    Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
    the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.

    I'd appreciate some help if you all don't mind.

    Regards,
    Jon
     
    thankyou, Jun 15, 2009
    #6
  7. thankyou

    Lloyd W. Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect ratio?
    >>
    >>
    >> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >>
    >> Thanks John

    >
    > Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?



    he asked for help not an insult, you asshole
     
    Lloyd W., Jun 15, 2009
    #7
  8. thankyou

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:52:30 -0400, Lloyd W. wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >>>
    >>> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    >>> ratio?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks John

    >>
    >> Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?

    >
    >
    > he asked for help not an insult, you asshole


    Ignoring the profanity, I thought the answer was quite self evident.
     
    ray, Jun 15, 2009
    #8
  9. thankyou <> wrote:
    >With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
    >files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
    >photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.


    Well, sensors come in different aspect ratios and therefore naturally
    there are always photos that "don't fit" the standard paper. Happens all
    the time and stores deal with it by automatically cropping.

    If you want to avoid the store randomly cropping a part that might be
    important to you then your only solution is to ask the store (the one
    store you are going to!!!) what aspect ratio they are using and do the
    cropping yourself in advance.

    >Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
    >the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.


    Well, that's the purpose of JPEG. It reduces the file size at the cost
    of picture quality. However there are many different JPEG compression
    levels. Just choose the lowest possible compression (=highest quality)
    and there should be no perceptible loss. Of course this is assuming that
    the technical quality of the original picture was good enough for a big
    enlargement.
    Or choose a format that does lossless compression.

    jue
     
    Jürgen Exner, Jun 15, 2009
    #9
  10. thankyou

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 15 Jun 2009 01:13:32 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:52:30 -0400, Lloyd W. wrote:
    >
    >> "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >>>>
    >>>> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    >>>> ratio?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks John
    >>>
    >>> Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?

    >>
    >>
    >> he asked for help not an insult, you asshole

    >
    >Ignoring the profanity, I thought the answer was quite self evident.


    You didn't think very far through the question. I took him to mean
    what size 'posters' preserve the aspect ratio. I gave him an
    informative answer, while you ... ?



    Eric Stevens
     
    Eric Stevens, Jun 15, 2009
    #10
  11. thankyou

    daveFaktor Guest

    thankyou wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies.
    >
    > I guess I was looking to learn "how to" figure it out. You get pixels,
    > inches, digital cameras files that dont' exactly fit a 6x4 print and
    > then the consumer prining stores the sell posters photos in fixed
    > sized.
    >
    > I have PS, but I'm a video guy mostly and have this ideal to blow up
    > my RAW (8 mb) Canon files.
    >
    > With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
    > files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
    > photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.
    >
    >
    > Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
    > the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some help if you all don't mind.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jon


    Well now you post the 'real' question!

    All these store printers are set up for 4:3 aspect ratio printing. If
    you use HP's "snapfish" service, you can upload your files and they will
    do the enlargement for you.

    Irfanview is OK, just save the JPEG at 100% which is as close to
    lossless as it gets.

    With DPP you can do the same. I wouldn't even bother with sharpening the
    image either. The pre-print done by HP doesn't just enlarge them, it
    sharpens them and "fixes" dodgy colour too.

    http://www.snapfish.com or any of about a million other places!
     
    daveFaktor, Jun 15, 2009
    #11
  12. thankyou

    Bob Williams Guest

    thankyou wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies.
    >
    > I guess I was looking to learn "how to" figure it out. You get pixels,
    > inches, digital cameras files that dont' exactly fit a 6x4 print and
    > then the consumer prining stores the sell posters photos in fixed
    > sized.
    >
    > I have PS, but I'm a video guy mostly and have this ideal to blow up
    > my RAW (8 mb) Canon files.
    >
    > With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
    > files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
    > photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.
    >
    >
    > Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
    > the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some help if you all don't mind.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jon

    First see at what aspect ratio your camera captures its images.
    DSLRs frequently capture at 3:2 aspect ratio.
    P/S cameras usually capture at 4:3 ratio.
    Order a poster with the same aspect ratio as your original image

    A poster 12 x 18 as you suggest, would have an aspect ratio of
    3:2....(18/12 = 3/2)
    So if your camera captures images at 3:2, a poster at 18x12 would be
    perfect.
    However if your camera captures at 4:3, you would have two options. Crop
    your image to 3:2 or leave it uncropped and order a poster at around
    16x12.. (16/12 = 4/3).
    I hope this helps.................Bob Williams
     
    Bob Williams, Jun 15, 2009
    #12
  13. thankyou

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:06:10 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > On 15 Jun 2009 01:13:32 GMT, ray <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:52:30 -0400, Lloyd W. wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ray" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    >>>>> ratio?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks John
    >>>>
    >>>> Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> he asked for help not an insult, you asshole

    >>
    >>Ignoring the profanity, I thought the answer was quite self evident.

    >
    > You didn't think very far through the question. I took him to mean what
    > size 'posters' preserve the aspect ratio. I gave him an informative
    > answer, while you ... ?



    While I suggested he look at posters with the same aspect ratio.


    >
    >
    >
    > Eric Stevens
     
    ray, Jun 15, 2009
    #13
  14. thankyou

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 15 Jun 2009 15:02:09 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:06:10 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> On 15 Jun 2009 01:13:32 GMT, ray <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:52:30 -0400, Lloyd W. wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "ray" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Hello, Thanks for your help.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
    >>>>>> ratio?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Thanks John
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> he asked for help not an insult, you asshole
    >>>
    >>>Ignoring the profanity, I thought the answer was quite self evident.

    >>
    >> You didn't think very far through the question. I took him to mean what
    >> size 'posters' preserve the aspect ratio. I gave him an informative
    >> answer, while you ... ?

    >
    >
    >While I suggested he look at posters with the same aspect ratio.


    That's real brilliant, but what size posters are available?



    Eric Stevens
     
    Eric Stevens, Jun 15, 2009
    #14
  15. thankyou

    thankyou Guest

    Wow! This is a vibrant message board. That’s great!

    Ok, I had a blocked brain, but, really, I just could not put it
    together.

    If you look at all your comment as a total picture, I got a damn great
    answer to my questions. Covered all the bases and I learned something
    from every single post.

    I’ve used this board a few times over the years and always have gotten
    knowledgeable, experienced and especially quick answers.

    Not kissing ass here, (who’s to kiss) but often on the internet,
    that’s not the case.

    Thanks again.
     
    thankyou, Jun 16, 2009
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. randy hodge

    enlarge control panel listings

    randy hodge, Jul 15, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,260
    manish
    Jul 18, 2003
  2. Atariki\(riki\) Pole

    Icons And Things ENLARGE!

    Atariki\(riki\) Pole, Oct 18, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    756
    Mike0000
    Oct 18, 2003
  3. David

    Enlarge digital pics?

    David, Oct 19, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    45
    Views:
    1,092
    All Things Mopar
    Oct 22, 2005
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    You can enlarge a tire but you can't enlarge a photo

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=, Mar 3, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    728
    Colin D
    Mar 8, 2006
  5. Progressiveabsolution
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    403
    Progressiveabsolution
    Sep 4, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page